Troubleshooting Custom Clothes But No Custom Objects!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by snake8889, Jul 9, 2006.

1. snake8889

snake8889 New Member

Custom Clothes But No Custom Objects!

Hi, I installed the sims 2 and all the expansions perfectly but everytime when i go to play it acts like it's my 1st time playing! No matter what i do my settings always reset. I have tried re-installing and still the same problem. Also I am able to download and use custom clothes/skins but none of the objects i install/download will show up in the catalog. I click enable custom content and restart my game but due to my setting resetting the custom content disables again. I am playing on Windows Xp and i didn't had this problem the last time i installed the sims which was like 2 months to a year ago. Any suggestions?

PLZ Help Me:cry:

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Custom objects based on Maxis item require that the Color Enabler Package is also installed. Get it here or here

Custom object based on new meshes might need the CEP but they certainly MUST have the mesh. You need to read the download source instructions carefully to see what else may be needed. Sadly a lot of custom content is distributed without the needed meshes and with only a poor indication as to what mesh is needed ... let alone where to get it.

3. snake8889

snake8889 New Member

I have download the CEP, the latest version, and i believe that i do have the right meshes but that doesnt explain why my settings reset. Would you be able to help me with that?

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Not really :(

Are you the only user of the computer?

Any Windows geeks got any ideas? Josh?

5. snake8889

snake8889 New Member

No, It's a family used computer.

6. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Find out what has been changed/installed right before this started happening.
    You might try a system restore back to before the computer messed up, as this sounds more like a conflicting file, not a Windows error.

7. snake8889

snake8889 New Member

Before I installed The Sims 2 +expansion packs, barely anything was installed. I only had installed Windows Xp, anit-virus software and the basics. So there for i dont have a system restore point. Possibly the only way to fix this would to be to re-install Windows Xp again?

8. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Before you do that ... try this

Open My Documents >>
    EA Games >>
    The Sims 2 >>
    Config >>

Look for the file named userProps

Right click the file and choose the option Open With ... and select Notepad

Big load of gobbelygook ... :eek: :rolleyes:

First make sure that you maximise the window to help make it easier to "read"

The second line (of the <PropertySetString>) should contains a line that reads something like:

Code:
      <AnyBoolean key="[B]allowCustomContent[/B]"type="0xcba908e1">[B]true[/B]</AnyBoolean>

If you have the word false change it to true. If you already have the word true then we up a gum tree cobber.

After changing it, save the file (don't choose save as!) and load up the game ... report back with results.

9. snake8889

snake8889 New Member

Nope it already had
    <AnyBoolean key="allowCustomContent" type="0xcba908e1">true</AnyBoolean>

What now? Am I completely screwed or what?:confused:

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Um. ... when you start the game confirm whether custom content is described as enabled or disabled ...

I dunno about you being screwed but summat's screwy, for sure :rolleyes:

You say you play on a family computer ... is there more than one Windows user account? (do you have log on and off for different family members?)

11. snake8889

snake8889 New Member

When I start the game it comes up and says that custom content is disabled and even if i enable it i still cannot see or use custom objects ingame. There are five user accounts, one for each family member.

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Any of those also playing The Sims 2? Could be some sort of weird cross-over effect.

I am not well up on the vagaries of Windows users accounts ... :(

13. snake8889

snake8889 New Member

Just one other but the same problem exist on that logon too.

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Aha! :D

Josh! Any other Windoze gurus ... ???

Snake. I may have the answer but I may be wrong ... :rolleyes:

Check this:

My Computer >>
    >> Shared Documents
    >> EA Games
    >> The Sims 2
    >> Config

Is there a userProps there? Check the boolean value of

<AnyBoolean key="allowCustomContent" type="0xcba908e1">true</AnyBoolean>

Was it false?

Oh I do hope so ... :)

15. snake8889

snake8889 New Member

Hmm... thats weird There is a
    My Computer >>
    >> Shared Documents
    >> EA Games
    >> The Sims 2
    but the "The Sims 2" folder is empty!! Is that normal? Or could that be a problem right there?

16. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Normal. I have no idea what Mirelly was talking about. :p TS2 shouldn't load any files from there, although it does still sound like a missing file or registry key.

17. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Not "a" problem and not necessarily "the" problem either. I don't have anything in mine, either. But then I'm the only user ... though I keep a "guest" account so that kids can mess around without screwing up.

Hopefully a Windows-savvy type will have some suggestions ... Or try googling for something like "The Sims 2" + multiple windows accounts ... feel free to experiment with search strings and to use my custom search roll: http://rollyo.com/search.html?q=multiple+windows+accounts&uid=22986&sid=81926