Troubleshooting Dark in the house and outside the house

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by belle, Dec 4, 2006.

1. belle

belle New Member

Dark in the house and outside the house

:confused: Dark in the house and outside the house [​IMG]
    Hi i am new to the Sims 2 but i have been a lover of the orginial Sims. I seem to be having an odd problem, once i installed the game and went into a sims house for example the goths, my houses was really dark inside and out and the only way i can see anything is by putting 4 large ceiling lights in each room, but this dosent help the outside i cant see mailboxes, i cant see anything just dark shadows and most times not even that.

I am just using simple houses like the Goth house and romeo and juliet houses and they are all the same. I downloaded the latest CEP package but this did nothing, i have the latest DirectX software and my computer is more than capable of running this game.

If anyone can send me or direct me to a a lighting hack that may work, i would be greatly appreciative.

Also I have un-installed and re-installed the game, played with the lighting settings in the game it self, but nothing works.

Someone please help.

Belle

2. belle

belle New Member

Ok so here are my computer specs: I dont think it is a problem with my graphics or anything, as I said it is a new computer and plays heaps of really graphical games:
    1. Processor: Name and speed (MHz/GHz:( AMD Athlon (TM) 64 Processor
    2. System Memory RAM (MB/GB:( 2.21GN, 512 MB of Ram
    3. Windows Version (98/XP etc.:( XP v 2002
    4. Free Hard Disk Space: 180GB
    5. Total Hard Disk Space: 200GB
    6. DirectX Version: 9
    7. Display Adapter (Graphic/Video Card) Name & Model Number: NVIDIA GE Force 7600GS
    8. Display Driver Name and Version Number & date: NVIDIA nForce 430/410 serial ATA controller
    9. Game Detail (eg: Sims 2 CD or DVD Version, expansion packs owned:( Simis 2 DVD version - all expansions packs
    Please help it is getting quite frustrating, placing a million lights okay not that many but you get my drift in each room to see anything, but outside i really just cant see anything.

3. belle

belle New Member

Graphics glitch - Dark in the house and outside the house

Hi i am new to the Sims 2 but I have been a lover of the original Sims. I seem to be having an odd problem, once I installed the game and went into a Sims house for example the Goths, my house was really dark inside and out and the only way i can see anything is by putting 4 large ceiling lights in each room, but this doesnt help the outside i cant see mailboxes, i cant see anything just dark shadows and most times not even that. I can see the bottom navigation bar as clear as day.

I am just using simple houses like the Goth house and Romeo and Juliet houses and they are all the same. I downloaded the latest CEP package but this did nothing, i have the latest DirectX software and my computer is more than capable of running this game (well i believe it is, see the specs below).
    :rolleyes:
    I have un-installed and re-installed the game, played with the lighting settings in the game it self, but nothing works.

Someone please help.:confused:

Here are my computer specs:
    1. Processor: Name and speed (MHz/GHz:( AMD Athlon (TM) 64 Processor
    2. System Memory RAM (MB/GB:( 2.21GN, 512 MB of Ram
    3. Windows Version (98/XP etc.:( XP v 2002
    4. Free Hard Disk Space: 180GB
    5. Total Hard Disk Space: 200GB
    6. DirectX Version: 9
    7. Display Adapter (Graphic/Video Card) Name & Model Number: NVIDIA GE Force 7600GS
    8. Display Driver Name and Version Number & date: NVIDIA nForce 430/410 serial ATA controller
    9. Game Detail (eg: Sims 2 CD or DVD Version, expansion packs owned:( Sims 2 DVD version - all expansions packs
    :cry:

4. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

You didn't say what "speed" your processor is (as you just put the name in. Look for the ghz or mhz that should be associated with your processor). However, judging by the other parts of your computer, it's probably fine for the game.

This may have something to do with your CEP. I noticed when I put in the most recent CEP that my usually bright house was all dark. While outside it didn't have the darkness you describe, no light shown in through the windows. I had to go to MTS2 to find out that they have pulled the lighting stuff from the CEP, but I think that some of it may still be there and you'd need the radiance module to be able to get the light back. (That's what worked for me, anyway.)

The other thing could be your graphics driver. You have something else listed where it says for Display Driver Name and Version Number & date. It should be something like 6.14.10.9147. An easy way to find it is to go to all programs, click on EA Games from the list, go to any of the games (base or EPs), then look at "Electronic Arts Easy Info". If you have a graphics card driver that doesn't have all the necessary stuff for your 7600, then it would make it look all dark.

Often the ones which come with a game or with the new card are *not* the ones which are best. They often are not the newest, although just being new isn't always the best either. Some need you to "roll back" to the second to newest. Either way, it could be your graphics card driver, since you are having problems with the entire game. (Keep in mind that the graphics card doesn't have to deal with 'light" when it comes to the operating system or browsers. The game is a totally different ball of wax!)

5. KatAnubis

I've merged your two thread since they were about the same thing. Posting the same thing in more than one section isn't necessary or recommended.

6. belle

belle New Member

Graphics glitch - Dark in the house and outside the house

Thanks KatAnubis

Ok the speed from memory is 2.2GHZ.

Any chance you have the link on MTS2 on which lighting pack to download. I really dont think its a computer hardware problem - just a weird glitch?

7. KatAnubis

They made it part of the "Scriptorium" instead of part of the CEP:
    http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=192613

It's called GunMod's Radiance mod.

But do check on your graphics card's driver. That can also cause problems with the lighting effects not working.

8. belle

belle New Member

Hi KatAnubis,

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, you are a legend it worked perfectly. I finally could play my game properly last night, and i had so much fun.

THANKS HEAPS

Belle

9. KatAnubis

I'm so glad it worked! I remember how devastated I felt when I went to the brand new house that I was working on and couldn't see anything, whereas it had been fine before I upgraded the CEP and done some other things. I was hoping that what I found to be the problem was something that would also help you!