Dear Lurkers: Why Don't You Post??

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Kristalrose, May 18, 2005.

1. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Dear Lurkers: Why Don't You Post??

I have been paying closer attention to how many people are active posters and how many lurkers we have. Trust me, the lurkers outnumber the posters by 2-1 margin easilly. So, it makes me curious. Why not jump into the conversation? We would love to hear about your sims, love to answer your questions, love to have your input. We have one of the most friendly, dedicated community of "Simmers" online, a good mix of modders, designers, and just hard-core addicts (like me!) Do not be afraid to post!! Speak up!! We'd love to hear from you! :D

2. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

The reason lurkers do not post is generally because they have nothing substantive to add to the conversation. The ones that don't post are therefore the intelligent ones. Be very thankful they do not post, for there are those with nothing to say that DO post, much to everyone's dismay.

3. Rongaryen

Rongaryen New Member

Pescado is right, I usually won't post to hardly anything unless i can have some input that has some relevance. Another couple reasons i don't post are because i don't have time or it's becuase of past experiences with unpleasant ppl on forums...other than that, i'll post. I guess i am considered a "lurker" if you will though i hope to change that in the near future.

4. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I'm a hair past lurker and village drunk. I do like the WorldSims forum. I think the people here put a lot more thought into their questions and answers. I learn much just by reading it. That may be why so many don't post. No need to. I have found it difficult to wade through the BBS on the official Sims2 site (so much silliness) but I search it now and then for useful bits of information--e.g., what others have encountered with the "Leave World" option. And how to invite the whole neighborhood to a party (wow!) Anyway, the lurkers will post eventually, and tell their stories. (I smile)

5. garyalexza

garyalexza New Member

Hey I like lurking :p

I have been a member of this forum for a while and read the posts daily. Gives me some good links that I can get downloads from and some good ideas so that I can enjoy my games better. I decided to choose this forum as both the official EA BBS and modthesims2 have a very high signal-to-noise ratio ... and IMHO the official BBS is a nightmare to use.

So even though I don't post much, thanks to J.M.P., Mirelly, KatAnubis, KristalRose and Josh (among various many others) that post such helpful stuff all the time and make this a good forum. :)

6. J. M. Pescado

I'm not really sure the EA BBS has any signal, really, ever. It seems to be all noise. MTS2 used to have a fair amount of signal, but due to various issues, among which includes the UNGODLY HORRIFIC AND OVERWHELMING LAG, most everyone of note has since fled, leaving only the people yammering about various inane topics.

7. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

When you find these nuggets of information, please do post them here. It's a way to help us all learn more.

I don't have as much time for searching for that sort of stuff as I used to. If I want to have any time to play, I have to balance the time I spend as a SimMaster (which is sometimes *very* timeconsuming but is the only way we can keep the signal-to-noise ratio down at all) and the time I spend researching stuff for aiding gameplay, troubleshooting problems and the like. (And I have a very busy life outside of what I do with TS2, which further consumes my time.)

I guess what I'm saying is that it's unnecessary to leave it all to those of us you see regularly. It would be joyously appreciated if we had the input of more people. We don't have all the answers and if you can find answers for people, it's better for those who are asking.

So, please do not hesitate to post if you've found something that might be of benefit that you've found.

And ignoring JMP when he implies that people who post are not intelligent is a good first step. I firmly believe that there are many people who can post and are still intelligent. We just need to hear more from you!

8. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Here here!! I also don't have the time that I would love to spend downloading, researching, and playing. TS2 is a time-eating hobby. Unfortunately, I also have three little time-eaters of my own, my kids. Pair that with a job and a household to maintain, and that leaves TS2 taking almost all of my "Free" time. Not that I'm complaining. I happen to love my game and obsess sometimes over it.

I agree with Kat. JMP is a technical genius, but we all know that sometimes those computer gurus are a little short on the social skills. I think even casual lurkers would be able to gleem that from JMP's posts. (heck, even his signature is anti-social). JMP, I love ya, buddy. I know you don't mean it. ;)

No, even if you are afraid of posting "drivel", just post!! Tell us hi! Tell us about your Sims! Post a link to your sims page!! Tell us what you're working on!! Ask questions! Tell us about your favorite downloads or mods!! We'd love to hear from you!

9. J. M. Pescado

I did not *IMPLY* that most people who post are not intelligent. I explicitly stated it as such and can back it up with empirical evidence. Perhaps I should have been less subtle, though. You're a SimMaster, you're on the official forums all the time. Can you honestly say that I am not right? I don't think so. Do you think it's a GOOD thing that those people post? I don't think so.

It is a common misconception that being "anti-social" implies a lack of social skills. Or that the fact that I choose to be a jerk implies that I lack social skills, as opposed to the fact that I simply prefer to be a jerk for many reasons, among which includes the fact that I am mean and like to scowl. And am more heavily armed than you. Anti-social merely means I won't feel at all guilty after disembowelling you with a spoon or performing any other similarly antisocial activities.

10. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I did post about the "Leave World" option, in the General Discussion forum.

I also posted something about the neighborhood party under the title Crowd Control in The Sims 2 Design Studio/TS2 Movie Theater and Studios forum. I don't think people visit that forum very much :disappointed: . There were no questions about the party, but I'll go back and add to the thread a little more detail about what exactly I did.

11. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

I lurk to get ideas and motivation to play the game again.

Yeah, I've taken a few weeks off from Simming so the game doesn't become stale. Bouncing from family to family got repetitive and boring. I probably should make a new Sim or two to spice things up. Mainly the creative juices aren't flowing.

That and I'm playing a new, different game >_> *runs away before she gets pummeled with rocks and tomatoes*

12. J. M. Pescado

There's a new different game even out? I was under the impression there was somewhat of a drought in gaming as of late.

Me, when I become bored with playing the game, I create things to play the game for me. Each of the macro controllers has resulted from a fit of boredom with playing the game when it starts to feel repetitive, so I offload the repetitive. Generally by turning it into an automated process according to carefully calculated formulae. Which you can then play with.

13. Jiko

Jiko Lab Specimen Collector

explicit posting

If those who post are "explicitly" the least among us, what does that make the moderators and masters? They post the most, my friends.

14. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Cheezy, my dear, I won't throw rocks at you. :( You know what's sad?? (I'm only telling you this because you have a Jigglypuff as your Avatar, I think you will understand.)

I bought my son Pokemon Emerald. I am seriously thinking about beating him up and taking his game away so I can try it out. LMAO!! (goes running away from the rocks and tomatoes with Cheezy)

15. StephSchiff

StephSchiff New Member

Hello All!

No longer a lurker - I got an account and got it activated (finally). Just started playing TS2 and EPU, though I'm a veteran Sims player. I am having some trouble with a Sim - every time she enters the room sims "think" of her and often have an X over her face even though she has never interacted with most of them. Her personality points are pretty well balanced (except for neatness) and I keep her happy and showered! What's the deal? Could it be something in her biography or the way she looks or is dressed?:confused:

16. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

lol Ah that brings back memories of my bros and I fighting over who's turn it was to try a new game out. :D I've never played a Pokemon game on a GB, always wanted to see what all the fuss was about though. I always stunk at playing the card game. :confused: Teh jigglypuff is my fav Pokemon. :D

And yeah there is a drought of games out lately, but that doesn't stop me from going back to play the games I missed when the game companies released the overload of games back in the holiday season. For the past several weeks I've been playing World of Warcraft, and I still have a bunch of stuff on the back burner, including The Sims University to explore more. I've yet to have my Sims graduate from college so that's an incentive. :D