Decisions. . Decisions

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Kristalrose, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Decisions. . Decisions

Hubby finally ordered a new computer last night! It's another Dell, this time a X400 with a nice flat-screen monitor, nVidia GeForce 7900, Pentium D dual core processor, 320 Hard drive (can you imagine how big my download folder can get now? :eek: The works!

So, here's my question: Should I burn all my Sims 2 files to disk and move River Valley over to the new computer, or should I just install and start a new neighborhood from scratch? I'd miss my Sims, but this would be a great time to start all over again. But, then again, it just wouldn't be the same. :(

2. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Do what I do. I have LOTS of neighborhoods. If your computer's got room, move River Valley to keep it safe and maybe start a new neighborhood just for fun. :D You can always delete River Valley if you find that you never play it anymore. I did that with a couple of my neighborhoods.

3. djslippyman

djslippyman New Member

So just to confirm here... Having extra neighborhood WON'T add to the initial load times? I've always wanted to know the answer to that question as I still run only off of Pleasantville (and one Downtown and University).

4. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Can't answer about the number of neighborhoods adding to load time. But I DO know that the number of downloads will add significantly to loading time. My game chunks away for several minutes reading through all the downloads. :eek: When I removed the download folder once to install an expansion, the game loaded in a flash, although I had about 8 neighborhoods at the time. (I think. Used to have 11 but I deleted some.)

5. AlisonSBurke

AlisonSBurke New Member

It takes approximately 17 minutes for my neighbourhood to load, I have 6 neighbourhoods, including the Maxis pre-made ones... :(

I need a new computer. Can I have your old one Kristalrose? ;)

6. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I wish your hubby WAITED. QUICKLY CANCEL YOUR ORDER IF YOU CAN! GET THE NEW PENTIUM CORE 2 DUO CHIPS! :| It's due out this month. *end of the month)

7. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

Actually you can live without Pentium Duo Core chips. I was wondering if I needed to get a laptop with one of those, and I ended up getting one with the Pentium M processor. My laptop works just fine since it has the memory and the harddrive to back it up.

8. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

:) I would if I could, Alison. I'm handing it down to my son.

9. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

You just made hubby develop this horrible twitch and he's making this odd gurgling noise. . . . ;) Just kidding. He says to tell you that he thought about it, but we couldn't afford it.

10. ManagerJosh

You know the price point is suppose to be the SAME as the current Pentium D?

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

The number of neighborhoods you have won't increase the game loading time. Neighborhoods do not begin loading until you decide to choose which neighborhood you want to play.

I tried suggesting that Maxis could consider some changes in the way loads (maybe as a game option) but no-one else picked up on them. The suggestions were these:

Cut out the enable/disable custom content screen (for games with NL/OFB) unless new custom content has been installed since the last time

Load straight to the last play neighborhood screen. (Cuts out 2 mouse clicks for 90% of players, 90% of the time ... possibly :rolleyes: )

12. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Nope, didn't know that. Okay, now he really will be twitching! :(

13. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

I have a semi-related question: I've got a TON of pictures. If I archive them will my game run better? I've noticed some hops and skips lately. Could the plethora of pictures be causing it?

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

No the game ignore pics in the storytelling folder ... unless you load up the family album editor ... then you'll get a lag while it loads the pics

15. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Well, rats. I'm not sure what my problem is, then.

16. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

17. ManagerJosh

Better get the paddles and have them all charged up for hubby, Kristal. He's gonna be gasping, and clutching his heart.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3421
    Here comes the quad cores instead of dual-core.

18. mEtAlHeAd

mEtAlHeAd O RLY??

I have NO Custom content(i lost my ea sims 2 password :( )

I still take about 25 seconds to load stuff because i only have a 1.3GHZ amd athlon,though my RAM and my graphics are good: ASUS A99550GE ATI READEON (Series) 256MB and my RAM is 512.

I still can play the game on everything high detail.
    Only lag spikes i get is probaly my processor is a bit slower :s

19. ManagerJosh

Naw, your lag spikes happen because you have only 512MB of RAM. If you double it, you will definitely see a lot of those lag spikes vanish :)

20. caduto

caduto New Member

quote mirelly: Cut out the enable/disable custom content screen (for games with NL/OFB) unless new custom content has been installed since the last time

you can do this in the settings, there is a tick box that asks if you want the custom content screen to come up, when ticked (or unticked-cant remember) it doesnt ask you about custom sontent when the game loads, thus taking about 5 seconds off the load time :)