SimCity 4 Developing a city

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by Jakethedane, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Jakethedane

Jakethedane Man of the world

Developing a city

Hi.
    I had the game for nearly 8 months now, and I have tried sooo many different ways to build a city. I usually build on the large maps, and have onle once succesfullt created a city with more than 300k. My problems is, that some where along the way suddenly people move out. Their jobs are too far away.
    I normally build industrial cities around the large maps, so the citizens can commute. It works great for along time, until I reach a certain size.
    My question is this: What is - in your opinion - the best way to build the roads(Im thinking about a Washington inspired theme, with big boulevards early on).
    Ive heard some say, that there are buildings available that fills an entire 5x5 square and even bigger. How do I get to them? And if Sam Lawrence sees this post: On the collection thread you have a cool image of a city with huge scyscarpers. Please help me with reaching above the 280- 300k mark.
    P.S. I normally start with low density but rich people moving in. The tax for the rich is 7,4 and for the poor its 10,5. So no poor people in my city.

2. sam_lawrence

sam_lawrence SimCity Moderator

Hey Jake. Sorry for the late reply. There's no single way of getting really high populations. That city that i've showed with all the skyscrapers is on a medium map, which allows me to have industry closer to all parts of that city. But apart from that there's plenty of Commercial (with reasonably low taxes) mixed all around the residential. And mass transit to get to the other cities too. Also try a city where you are not discouraging low income sims. They bring money aswell as population to your city in bulk, because you can fit alot of them in. This will pump up your residential pop, inturn raising your commercial demand. Alot of the city will be low wealth to start with, but this sets a good foundation for the city's future as alot of it will upgrade to $$ and $$$ over time. Just some ideas. I myself am not actually that successful at getting high populations, but that's not what i set out to do. I'm more into creating an aesthetic city. Good luck though!

3. darkstormyeve

darkstormyeve New Member

Not sure if this helps, but its a point about low wealth sims that I didn't know. To have $$$ comm, they need low wealth sims too for full employment. In fact, from memory as I don't have the prima guide with me, $$$ comm require a high precentage of low wealth sims for their business than do low wealth commercial. Does this make sense?

I guess my point is, don't just have a city with $$$ sims as the businesses in your town need workers from all walks of life. This might help your businesses grow.

Keep in mind too that $ sims expect low wealth things like pollution, crime, poor schooling etc so they will tolerate poor conditions more than your $$$ sims so I suggest having them so that your city can have $$$ sims living the good life and $ sims taking the crap. That way, your sims will stay longer.

Stormy.