Did you know...?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by muffin-tacos, Oct 10, 2007.

1. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Did you know...?

Did you know that if you look through a camera (digital or non digital) while someone else presses a button on the TV remote, you see the ultraviolet radiation coming from the top of it? It's just a little flash but it's quite cool since you can't see it otherwise. I wonder why you can see the radiation when you look through a camera? I mean, why a camera?

We were discussing this today in physics and I just had to check it out when I came home.

Cool, isn't it? :rolleyes:

2. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

Welll...now I'm going to have to try that when I get home. But no one else is at home with me with Brandon at school/work at night...wonder if I can get a cat to step on a remote...

*wanders off and ponders this*

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Just a mild correction, most remotes today in household usage use infrared. Not ultraviolet.

The spectrum band for ultraviolet is way to small and short and not good for household applications.

The other type of remotes are radio-frequency based ones (usually more expensive).

4. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Try using a video camera pointed at a mirror and use remote pointed at mirror.
    and you will see it. As long as its not radio. :)

5. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Yeah, yeah. :p What ever it is, it shows up when you look at it through a camera. :D

6. jupitershana

But, but, but...that will defeat the purpose of proving my cats are smarter than others! Okay...so my Tanner isn't the brightest; he runs into screen doors and tables on a pretty consistent basis; but Hailee is a genius when it comes to Cat intellect! She knows how to open doors and get the lids off the cat treats and pull the cat treat out of the container with her paw instead of tipping it over and hoping one spills out like Addie (average intellect) and Tanner do. I'm sure she could help me with the remote! :rolleyes: ;)

Think it's time to put Tanner's picture back up as my avatar as well. :D

7. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Cat remote he he. Well I had a cat that would sit on the newspaper and read via osmosis. :D I'm sure they do cause every time I tried to read it the cat would sit on it. and they make wonderful piano players.:eek: Yes and Cats love to hide remotes on you inside the couch. Every time I sat down the channel would change.:(

8. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

That's a whole new slant on the timeless whoopee-cushion jape. :D

9. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

My dog changes the channel all the time. I think she has a remote sitting gene, much like cats have the paperweight gene. (Completely clean room, one piece of paper: where does kitty sit?) She has the whole bed and always manages to find the remote so the TV goes all fizzy or gets really loud or we see all of our options onscreen.

One would almost suspect the dog of doing it on purpose. :p

10. jupitershana

Yep; all three of ours seem to have this gene. Wonder why that is? What compells a cat to want to always sit on a piece of paper? Jealousy that you're reading something instead of paying attention to them? Or do they just like the sound or feel when they sit on it? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Mine also seem to have the, "I'm going to stand right in your face if you're on the computer or reading a book" gene...but they will ignore me if I'm sitting on the couch wanting someone to cuddle with me... :confused:

11. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

That's the nature of being a cat, I think. They want to cuddle on their time, preferably when it's not convenient for you.

The Rum Tug Tugger is artful and knowing
    The Rum Tug Tugger doesn't care for a cuddle
    But he'll jump on your lap in the middle of your sewing
    For there's nothing he likes like a terrible muddle

Oh the Rum Tug Tugger is a curious beast
    And there isn't any need for you to doubt it
    For he will do as he do do
    And there's no doing anything about it ...
    --T. S. Elliot, Old Possum's Book of Cats
    Some things may change; cats, never. :D