Did you upgrade to Internet Explorer 7?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, Feb 11, 2007.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Did you upgrade to Internet Explorer 7?

Just so that I'm not spending excessive time during this new website development cycle and spending excessive time on cross-compatibility, Windows XP Users, Did you upgrade to Internet Explorer 7?

2. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Nope I didn't. Not planning to in the near future either. :)

3. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Nope, and I have no reason to. I've already seen a bug that allowed web pages to destroy you windows installation.
    Maybe I'll stay with firefox for a while... :rolleyes:

4. Jazz

Jazz Vintage User

I upgraded not too long ago and i see no problem with it other than that some buttons on the toolbar at the top are placed in other places making it frustrating to find some. (e.g. favorites, home,etc.)
    But i don't know if they have this on the older version but they now have tabs so you can have other pages pulled up without another internet screen up. This might be included with the old one i'm not quite sure.
    Edit: i found a page on features for 7, heres one of the basic lines included:

Internet Explorer 7 provides improved navigation through tabbed browsing, web search right from the toolbar, advanced printing, easy discovery, reading and subscription to RSS feeds, and much more.
    here's the site if you want it more detailed: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/features.mspx

5. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

I did quite a while ago and I agree with Jazz that my only frusteration so far has been getting used to the layout. F5 has become my friend for refresh now as I can never find the dang button anymore.

6. Jazz

Jazz Vintage User

I think it's just right of the address bar.
    On a diff. cpu right now and havent upgraded this one yet.

7. Bassoonist

Bassoonist Bassoons rock!

Yes, I did... and I don't really like it. It seems really slow and it's a pain to navigate.

8. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I tend to say OK to anything my computer asks me to do. It's definitely in control. I just ride along. So I have the new Internet Explorer. The learning curve seems worse than usual. Took me awhile to find my bookmarks (Favorites Center.) :eek:

The hardest thing to get used to was the copy-paste issue. Nothing says "Edit," so right-clicking on the mouse is the new way to post my story chapters. Minor annoyance, but I'm adjusting.

I grew up using a keyboard, not a mouse. I'm SO much faster on a keyboard. I still use it to tab around in Windows, although it's getting harder and harder to do that these days.

9. SolidSnake_19

SolidSnake_19 Senior Moderator

I use FireFox about 98% of the time so I'm not too sure if my Internet Explorer has been updated to 7... All I know is that the current IE I have is much more annoying than the one from a while ago.

10. ManagerJosh

If you right click the are where the tabs appear, select menu bar, and it will reappear :)

11. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Well, dang! If it isn't so! Thanks, Josh.

12. Mr.Sober

Mr.Sober New Member

Waste of time to upgrade...

13. ManagerJosh

That's rather subjective in my opinion. For webmasters like myself, it's helped in terms of coding up new designs and minimizing concern of design matters.

14. rainpetal

rainpetal New Member

i started using IE7 a while ago, never had any problems on my end. i like it.

Rainie

15. mr.music

mr.music Need a DJ?

Yeah ive got it. but i use firefox.

16. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

At work we still use Version 6 - With the amount of testing that must be done for any new or upgraded application, by the time we get IE7, Microsoft will probably have already released IE8!

At home we use Safari and Firefox. Therefore, no Internet Explorer 7 for me...

17. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

That's an interesting observation, Sacha. Microsoft makes a big deal out of "SECURITY" and Windows machines are chock full of access priviliges and rights ... how weird it is that a user needs administrator level access rights to upgrade a Microsoft Product on Microsoft Windows based machine ... or maybe I am wrong and it is just the corporate IT geek-wimps who lock up every machine in an organisation to stop doofuses screwing them up rather than get proper jobs writing adequate security software that (just might) make dummies like moi and toi less needful of their dubious skills.

Just a thought of a Monday ... :rolleyes:

18. ManagerJosh

I believe Vista fixes that.

19. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

maybe but I don't my hubbie wants to do vista... except maybe on a new machine.

20. mr.music

mr.music Need a DJ?

Vista aint too bad, still prefer linux!