Troubleshooting Direct X problem, have latest version

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by brianna_benter, Nov 28, 2005.

1. brianna_benter

brianna_benter New Member

Direct X problem, have latest version

I have two computers, one I can play sims on but its SUPER DUPER slow....the one iam typing this message on I cant even get it to run.....here are some pictures, hopfully they will load....step by step this is what i have done, and what the problem is.....hope you all can help me, ive had this problem since 05/09/05 Thanks guys :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Hi Brianna

It sounds like you have a case of spyware on your computer. My suggestion is to run these two software and let it do a complete cleanout of your computer

1). Lavasoft Ad-Aware (Not Adware) -> http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    2). Microsoft Anti-Spyware (formerly known at Giant) -> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Both are free. Don't choose one or the other. Use both as they work best when used together.

As for DirectX itself, goto Start > Run > type in DxDiag and tell us what version you have :)

3. brianna_benter

That shouldn't be....

I havn't downloaded those programs you told me YET, because I have nortin anti virus....adaware....Xcleaner....and system machanic 5 proffesional. I will later though. I have just cleaned the computer COMPLETLY with all the programs i listed, and disk cleaner, and disk defragmenter. I have DirectX 9.0 Please reply soon! Thanks ever so much!
    -Bri

:cool:

4. ManagerJosh

Which version of DirectX 9 exactly? DirectX 9.0C?

5. brianna_benter

Yes, sorry I didn't say that part :cry:

6. brianna_benter

Its DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Thanks bunchez!
    -Bri :rolleyes:

7. brianna_benter

Pics of what i have

I hope this will help ya out some!;)

Attached Files:

8. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

My bad! You are having a tough time, Brianna.

As you are haiving installation troubles it is important to look at your optical disc reader (the CD thingy) :p

What do you have there? Is it a DVD rewriter or a DVD player and CD rewriter or a CD rewriter or just the bog-standard CD drive that doesn't do anything fancy (if so what speed is it? 2X 4X or xxxxX :p )

Trust me we will sort out ya problem and even better there's no charge ... the bad news is it may take a while cos we're all too busy playing our games ... sorry I guess that doesn't make you feel better :eek:

9. brianna_benter

Itz cool

Its just a DVD/CD player as far as I know.....doesn't copy nothing (remeber iam a ding-a-ling) And as far as speed I have NO clue :-\
    Thanks again!

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

OK Brianna and please don't tell us thanks until we fix it ;) (It makes me big-headed :p )

Like I sed I am not the best expert. I also have a DVD drive that also writes CD's (I suspect your's might as well)

I recently had major trouble trying to install a game that was on a DVD. Is your sims on DVD by any chance? (Or do you have the 4 CD version?)

As you seem to having directx issues I would suggest that the problem resides in the Windows registry. Possibly this could be resolved by a reinstall of directx (download from Microsoft here)

I see you have Norton stuff (which is good) but no tool is perfect. It may have missed a registry error that the game install is choking on. I was lucky I got around my similar issue (with another game) by copying the game disc to the hard drive and installing the game from the hard disc. That would not be possible with The Sims 2 I suspect.

Try the Dx 9c reinstall and see if it helps first. :)

(It's past 1am and I am off to bed now ... hopefully the US will now take over ... hint hint :p :rolleyes: )

11. brianna_benter

You think you could give me a exact website on what directx reinstall you want me to try? (I would say thanks but dont want to make you anymore big headed :p )

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL I gave it to you in my previous post. (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx)

Just click the DirectX 9.0c is here link halfway down the screen and follow the instructions ... as it is Microsoft you will have to play their validation game cos they wanna make sure you haven't got a pirate version of Windows before they'll let you download it.

13. brianna_benter

No need

No need to go any further, when ever i install something, it screws up another game. Sorry for the trouble :(

14. ManagerJosh

Let's give this a shot.

This error will occur if your video card does not meet the requirements, or if your drivers need to be updated to a 9.0c compatible version.

First, verify that your video card meets the minimum requirements for the game.
    You need (at minimum) a T&L-capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM.
    The supported video cards are:
    • ATI Radeon(TM) series (7000 or better)
      VE series (see note below)
      7000, 7200, 7500
      8500, All-In-Wonder 8500
      9000, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800
      X300, X600, X800
    • NVIDIA(R) Quadro(TM) series
      Quadro, Quadro2, Quadro4
    • NVIDIA GeForce series (GeForce2 and better)
      GeForce 2
      GeForce 3, 3 Ti
      GeForce 4, 4 Ti, MX 420, 440
      GeForce FX 5200, 5600, 5700, 5800, 5900, 5950
      GeForce 6600, 6800
    • Intel(R) Extreme Graphics (see note below)
      82845, 82865, 82915

If you have a non-T&L capable video card, such as Intel Extreme Graphics or Radeon VE series, then you need at least a 2.0 GHz processor.
    If your video card meets all the minimum requirements, but the issue persists you will need to contact your system or card manufacturer for the newest drivers for your video card. Most manufacturers have these drivers avaiable as free downloads on their website.
    If you have updated your drivers and still get this error, you must make sure that the DirectX features for your video card are enabled.
    1. Click on Start.
    2. Click on Run...
    3. Type dxdiag into the box.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Click on the Display tab.
    6. Find the DirectX Features box.
    7. The first feature is DirectDraw Acceleration. It should say Enabled next to it. If it says Disabled, click the Enable button.
    8. The second feature is Direct3D Acceleration. It should say Enabled next to it. If it says Disabled, click the Enable button.
    9. The third feature is AGP Texture Acceleration. It should say Enabled next to it. If it says Disabled, click the Enable button.
    10. Once all three are enabled, close the window.
    You may now start your game. The error should no longer occur.

15. brianna_benter

Itz ok

Dont worry about it guys, iam sorry i made you go through all this trouble. Like I said when ever I install one thing it screws up another. My brother is comming home soon, hes in the military so heck knows where he is right now. Hes good at fixing my games. Thanks all. Merry Christmas :rolleyes: :champagne: :drunk: :present:

16. ibejio

ibejio New Member

Sim 2 Crash

have the same problem, have followed every instruction giving above problem still persist - game crashing at random.

SYSTEM SPEC:
    PRCOCESSOR: INTEL(R) PENTINUM(R) 4CPU 3.00GHZ
    MEMORY: 1028MB
    DIRECTX VER: 9.00(4.09.0000.0904)

DEVICE: RADEON 9800 SERIES (ATI TECHNOLOGY)
    CHIP TYPE:RADEON 9800 SE AGP(OX4148)
    TOTAL MEMORY: 256.0 MB
    VERSION: 6.14.00.10.6587 (ENGLISH)
    DATE: 24/11/2005

DIRECTX FEATURES: ALL ENABLED

PLEASE HELP - SO FAR I HAVE TRIED ALL SUGGESTED ON THIS SITE.

17. gibo*gurl

gibo*gurl New Member

Hi every1 I am new to this forum and I do not now how to create a new posts! I know it sounds stupid but cud sum1 plz help me?

Thx luv
    Gibo*gurl

18. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Well Gibo, you posted a reply, so that's a start, hon. But you wanna know how to Start A New Thread? (New Topic or New Question)

First make sure you are posting in the right section. Don't ask for game play help in the technical forum -- it confuses people.

Second try to find out if your subject is already being talked about or if your question has already been answered.

There is a search box at the top of every page near the right hand side under the bit where it says Welcome gibo*gurl

Every thread can also be searched: look for search this thread also near the top

This thread is in the The Sims 2 Troubleshooting & Problems forum, that's just one of the forums in the group of forums called The Sims 2 Discussions which is just a section of the whole mess that is WorldSims Forums

Confused? Look right at the top of the page, now ... back yet? OK I'll wait :rolleyes:

See? If you want to start a new thread in this forum, just double click that link up there to: The Sims 2 Troubleshooting & Discussions

When you get there the big button near the top on the left hand side will bear the words: New Thread if you look up there right now ... well go on then :p

It says: Post Reply doesn't it, cos you can't start a new thread inside another one ... you can only add replies to this thread.

Oh my brain aches now ... waahhhh! :(