Dog Questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SolidSnake_19, Jul 1, 2006.

1. SolidSnake_19

SolidSnake_19 Senior Moderator

Dog Questions

Hello fellow forum users. :)

Recently I've been researching different breeds of dogs online (as I want to get another canine in the upcoming years) and was curious as to how many people here have had experience with the Doberman, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweiler, and/or the Basenji breed?

Now I know all of the bad press surrounding Dobermans and (especially) Rottweilers but I'm looking past that at the moment as I don't believe there's such a thing as an untrainably dangerous dog past what people make of their pets. I haven't came into contact with a Doberman or Ridgeback yet so I'm not sure about their temper.

Anyways, what I'm wondering is are they able to be kept as outdoor dogs or do they need to be more of an indoor dog because of the short coats they have? (I read that about the Doberman)
    How would they fair during winter if they were outside?

Overall what is their general temperment if socialized properly? Are they highly trainable? How do they handle household members being at work for full-days? Do children mix with these breeds well..?

If anyone knows anything about these dogs your tips and suggestions are greatly welcomed. :)

(P.S. Below are the breeds I'm talking about)

*bolded text added

Attached Files:

2. alliekat

alliekat Insert quirky comment

Hey Solid, I have a ridgeback who is the sweetest little terror!! No really, he's very good, they are very loyal dogs too. They, like all big dogs, need to be excercised alot or say goodbye to your backyard :rolleyes: .

Overall what is their general temperment if socialized properly?
    Do children mix with these breeds well..?

My puppy loves othing better than playing with other dogs. We have an obedience club that we're involved with and while walking there, he was a good "little" ridgy, then when we got there, all he wanted to do was play! They have great temperaments and are really good with kids too, but can be a little over enthusiastic sometimes, so until you can completely trust your dog, do not leave them unattended with children!!!!

Are they highly trainable?

Like I said, I take him to obedience once a week, and if you are persistant, you will get results. He sits without me having to guide him down now! I'm so proud!!:)

How do they handle household members being at work for full-days?

Ours seems to do ok. I haven't had any complaints about howling or persistant barking yet and that was one thing I said to my neighbours to let me know if it happens cuz I can't stand dogs that bark all of the time. Just make sure there are lots of things for him/her to do while you're out or again, bye-bye yard.

Anyways, what I'm wondering is are they able to be kept as outdoor dogs or do they need to be more of an indoor dog because of the short coats they have?

Ours is outside during the day and night in summer, but because it's winter at the moment, he's been sleeping inside at night. Only because me and my partners are big softies though, he'd be fine outside. When he is inside though, he has a designated mat and that's where he has to sit. Otherwise he'd be all over the couch and bed and he takes up too much room!!

Overall ridgy's have a wonderful temper. Very friendly with people and other dogs and especially kids. I agree completely that it is the owners responsibility for their dogs and if they are not trained correctly, they then become dangerous. It's not the dogs it's the owners!!

Here, meet Mopar!! (He's a lot bigger now, this was taken in March)

Edited to add helpful sites (maybe)
    1, 2 that's all I can find that are useful, may find more later. Hope this helps!!

Attached Files:

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Aw! Love him. What a sweetie-pie. (And I'm a cat lady :rolleyes: )

4. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

Ditto We'd like a dog like that... except we both work.

5. SolidSnake_19

Hey, Alliekat.

Thanks for your reply, the links and the picture (what a cutie!:cutie: ).

The links were helpful and I checked out all of the info I could find on them... and I've also figured that I should study as much as possible about those (three) breeds so have ordered some books off of Amazon to help me with this decision (the more info the better).

Now you've mentioned that it's winter currently where you are (Australia, is it?) From what I understand the weather over there is quite a bit different than what it is here (Canada). How do you think the Ridgeback would fair in snowy elements? Or would it still be the same as what you said? (sorry, just want to make sure that we're on the same page with the winter part - I would hate to have a dog freeze outside :\ )

For exercise you say that they need to have a lot. How much would you say that would be a day? (i.e. an hour a day or three?) and do they eat a lot to make up for that energy consumption?

-----

(first post updated with new dog breed inquiry)

6. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Just wanted to add my two cents about Rottweilers and Dobermans. I would never own such a big dog (I have a Tibetan Terrier) but I do know if you get one of these dogs from a reputable breeder who breeds for pet temperament (as opposed to guard dog) that Dobies and Rottweilers are two of the sweetest dogs you can own.

They get a bad rep because people train them to act mean. Our backdoor neighbors have Rottweilers that they leave outside all the time. No wonder they're mean. I would be too if my entire world was a six-foot chain.

But the well-treated members of these breeds that I've known have been nothing but great animals.

It helps to research your breeder, though, not only for temperament but for health-related issues. Big dogs are prone to hip displaysia, among other ailments.

7. SolidSnake_19

Unfortunately that's one of the draw-backs to the large breeds (hip displaysia, and "bloat" for deep-chested dogs) - but I've grown rather fond of the bigger animals.

I am aware of some mean-tempered Rotties (as there is one in my area that runs up to his fence and barks at everyone :eek: ), or Dobies... but I have met one extremely friendly Rottweiler recently and I was actually surprised at how docile it was to me (complete stranger in its yard) - wagging, licking, etc. That's one of the examples as to why I think it's the owner/breeder more than anything. ;)

Researching the breeders around this area is a little difficult as they're either the next province over or are a decent drive of which I don't want to make (until I'm actually able to purchase the animal). But I have been marking down their info, and the "breeder red-flags", incase the opportunity to be in their area arises.

8. alliekat

Yes, I'm in Australia, and now that you mention it, I didn't even think of snow. We don't get any in my area, so I honestly can't give you an answer to that, but I do know that many breeders are extremely helpful and happy to give out information to potential owners.
    For exercise I'd say between 1/2 hour to an hour a day. I haven't really noticed a change in his food, but we give him the recommended amount for size, weight, age etc and he ain't starving so I'm happy!!

9. surprised_by_witches

Another advantage to my smaller dog is she gets enough exercise running around our backyard, which isn't that large. She's a terrier so she's always on the go. She loves going for walks, of course, but it's not a necessity.

Bigger dogs need more than that.

Dobermans are usually pretty active. If you get one you need to be prepared to spend time exercising it. Rottweilers are a little more placid but need their daily walk or they get fat.

One way to research breeders is on the Internet. Find out if they've sent dogs to Westminster (or your country's national "big" show) and how they did.

Chances are if they have champion dogs they know what they're doing. You pay more for a good dog but it's worth it in the long run.

Of course, you could try rescue centers but then it's kind of a gamble. We got a purebred because she was our first dog and we wanted to know what we were getting.

We know someone whose cute little puppy turned into a 90 pound hyper idiot. I couldn't live with that.

10. SolidSnake_19

A half-hour to an hour? Okay that's not bad at all for the size of the animal. I would have thought quite a bit more - but I guess it's probably more quality than quantity that counts?
    How is he for digging in your yard and strangers?

---

SBW:

I have given rescue centers a little bit of thought as I know there are a lot of good animals looking for homes, but.. I don't know. If I'm able to get a dog I'd really want to get a new-pup that's purebred as that way I know it hasn't been traumatized by its previous owner and what to expect, or predict, for looks, size and temperment. Dealing with someone elses potential screw-up scares me a little when it comes to animals - especially the larger ones.

11. surprised_by_witches

Hey, you're preaching to the choir. That's exactly why I got a purebred, myself, and a puppy. I know I'm a good dog owner. There are a lot of people who aren't, and dealing with their screw-ups in the form of a neurotic animal is more than I wanted to take on.

Good luck! Let us know what you get.

12. alliekat

He doesn't dig, which is, good, however, he chews. At the moment that's all he does wrong really. As for strangers, he's friendly towards them. He doesn't like it when people look over our fence which is handy. Scares all the neighbours kids away when they feel like sticky beaking.

13. AlisonSBurke

AlisonSBurke New Member

We own a Dobermann x Rottweiler x Something Else, and she's a beautiful dog. And pretty obedient, when she wants to be. We got her from an animal shelter, and we were sure that we wouldn't get a big dog, especially one of the 'vicious' breeds. She was already about a year old when we got her, and she's a great dog. She has a very docile temperament, and she can do these amazing puppy eyes. And she has loads of personality. She's a big dog though, so we wouldn't leave her around little kids unnattended. But really, she's a great dog. She's like the opposite of what people think a Dobermann/Rottweiler is like, even though she looks just like a purebred Dobie. For instance, we had a break-in a few weeks ago, and she did nothing. She just let them walk right up to the house. But another thing about big dogs is they eat alot.
    I had better go feed old 'food-machine' before Mum bites my head off.
    Good luck finding a suitable dog.

14. surprised_by_witches

Hah! That's so funny. Big, fierce dog indeed. :rolleyes: Our 20-pound dog tried to kill a teenager who trespassed in our yard. Just because she's little doesn't mean she's not a good watchdog. She's also our backup doorbell. We know if it's someone she knows or not by the pitch of her bark. She goes nuts whenever someone she really likes visits. She has a special bark just for my brother, who is one of her favorites.

She's super smart, and she's got a sense of humor. Her favorite game is "look what I've got," in which she takes any object she thinks we might want back and taunts us with it. Ever try to catch a long-legged, fast little dog? Nearly impossible. She corners like nobody's business.

Food was a factor in our decision. She barely eats. We leave the food out and it takes her a day and a half to get through a small cereal bowlful. We didn't want to foot the bill for a "food machine."

Plus, we just have a small house. A big dog would dominate any room we've got.

15. AlisonSBurke

AlisonSBurke New Member

A picture of our dog. She's very curious, craves attention. She'll do just about anything for a pat.

[edit]
    Alison your picture was too big. I resized it and increased the compression for you taking it from 700+KB to 46KB ... I then re-uploaded it :rolleyes:

Everyone. Please use your computer's picture editing software to make sure that your pictures fit onto an ordinary computer screen. And if the file is larger than about 50KB you need to compress it a bit more unless there is some extreme detail that is what you want everyone to see ...

[end edit]

Attached Files:

16. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

*tiptoes in* ... looks at thread ... act surprised ... *aah!!!* Ooh wot a cute dog! ;)

She's gorgeous, Alison.

17. SolidSnake_19

:LOL: Funny story about your 20lb dog, SBW. Years ago I also had a small protective dog. It's amazing how mean (as in the protective form) he was towards strangers when my brothers and I were younger. That little puff-ball actually took a chunk out of one friend's pants as he (the kid) scurried up a tree away from this little dog (mini American Eskimo).

Alison that is a pretty dog too. :) If you hadn't said that she was a non-purebred I wouldn't have known.

I'm glad to hear that your Dobie is friendly and laid-back as that gives me more confidence in the breed - although the break-in part would have been a little "d'oh" part. ;)

Well I think I've gathered all the information I need as of now. Thank you everyone for your input, pictures and stories - they were greatly appreciated! :D