Downloaded skins

Discussion in 'The Sims 1' started by crazy12234, Dec 5, 2002.

1. crazy12234

crazy12234 New Member

Downloaded skins

i downloaded a couple of skins and followed the instructions to send them to:C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\GameData\Skins .
    i unzipped them and send them there.

however when i loaded the game, i found out that i could not find any of these downloaded skins...PLEASE HELP?????

2. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

That sounds like you put them in the correct place to me... that's where all my general skins are kept. Try running File Cop, and try checking to see if you have all the right meshes to go with the skins you downloaded. Also, if you downloaded files with names beginning with S, F, W, or L, those are named for use in Hot Date and Vacation, and may not work unless you put them in the Expansion Pack Shared Skins folder.

3. crazy12234

crazy12234 New Member

How do in run file cop? What the hell is it?
    What do u mean by 'meshes'?
    Where can i find the skins?
    The wadrobe or at the 'create sims'?
    It has been about 4 days since i downloaded the skins, how long would it take before i can see them?
    Thanks

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

5. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

File Cop is a program available from the official Maxis Sims site, go there to download it. "meshes" are like the framework of the sims body, the shape of the mesh controls the body shape, like whether the body has a skirt or pants. "skins" are like the blanket WRAPPED AROUND the 'mesh' or framework, that would be like what color the skirt or pants are. :)
    Skins files should be stored in C:\Program Files\Maxis\TheSims\Game Data\Skins I think... Open Windows Explorer and that will let you look through your computer to see where your sims game is, and where the Skins folder is. Make sure you have INSTALLED your downloaded sims skins by placing the .bmp and mesh files UNZIPPED (if they were downloaded as .zip files) in the \Game Data\Skins folder. When you have everything where it goes, you should be able to see your new skins immediately the next time you run your game. You should see the new clothes both in the wardrobe and the create new sim options. I hope this helps! :) :whitekitty:

6. lewdini

lewdini Moderate Sith Lord

Filecop isnt the end all program....unfortunately

7. crazy12234

crazy12234 New Member

Thanks a lot for your help FaeLuna!
    I'm gonna try the sim cop thingy.
    Thanks Josh, for giving me the site!

8. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Yeah, there ARE things that can go wrong that file cop won't catch... but at least it does cut down on a lot of common problems! :D

Good luck with your skins working crazy!! :whitekitty: :bunny:

9. crazy12234

crazy12234 New Member

Oh ya, one more thing, where can i find 'meshes'?
    I tried the file cop and they said nothing was wrong...

10. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

you could consider doing them manually..

Meshes are CMX files, FYI.

11. crazy12234

crazy12234 New Member

what do u mean by that?
    do u have any idea where i can find meshes?
    will my skins be there only if i have this 'meshes'?

12. lusty22

lusty22 New Member

hello, Most skins you download come with meshes. If they don't they usually would say, so I think what you need to do is open your skin folder and just see if your downloaded skins are in there! Go into my computer, program files, Maxis, gamedata and then skins. All your skins will be in there. You will need to look for a CMX file and a BMP file with the same number(for each skin you downloaded) and it should be ok. Skins show up in the game immediately, by the way as long as they are downloaded correctly. Are you sure you are zipping these files correctly? Elisims also works well to view your skin folder. It is a downloadable program that allows you to view all your skin files and will tell you if you have meshes missing.

13. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

The game comes with meshes for all the skins the game originally comes with, and skins people make are usually based on those meshes, so unless you DOWNLOADED a skin AND a Custom Mesh, you shouldn't have to worry about the meshes. Just make sure your skins are in the \Game Data\Skins folder in your game!! :D

You might go back to the sites you downloaded your skins from to make SURE they didn't require a Custom Mesh!

14. lewdini

lewdini Moderate Sith Lord

Be sure to run filecop afterwards

15. crazy12234

crazy12234 New Member

I made sure its under: C:\Program Files\Maxis\TheSims\Game Data\Skins.
    i checked many times too..
    Yup, i unzipped to there.
    I still don't understand what is wrong, why it still isn't there!!!!!!
    ARGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
    i really need help!!!!!!

the site i dowloaded the skins from is: http://shivawebdesign.com/shivasskins/

16. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

OK, I went there and from the women's section I downloaded "Diana", "GlitterGirls" and "Crimsonhart" so I can see how several files from that site work with my game.

OK I looked in the .zip files and it looks like everything SHOULD work if you unzip the files and put all the files inside EXCEPT the "readme" files into the \Skins folder. Just make SURE that the FILES are in the Skins folder, and that they are NOT Unzipped into FOLDERS with the Zip File names!! Sometimes WinZip will create a FOLDER named after the .zip file, and unzip all the files into that FOLDER. If you see a bunch of FOLDERS in your \Skins folder, copy everything INSIDE the folders, and paste it OUTSIDE the folder so it's just the FILES themselves in the \Skins folder! I hope this might be what's wrong! Let me know if this helps! :whitekitty:

17. crazy12234

crazy12234 New Member

thanks a lot FeaLuna, i'm going to do it manually then!
    hope this works and will tell you about it!!

18. crazy12234

crazy12234 New Member

good news!
    i went to check the skins folder and only found the skins' zip files and when i did it manually, it appeared in the game after that!
    thanks a lot FaeLuna, really grateful!

19. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

oh YAY!!!! I'm SO glad you finally got your skins in the game ok!!!! yippee!!!! *turns cartwheels... only she can't, so she falls down joyfully instead!* :whitekitty: :bunny: