Spore EA will give you another Spore account, providing if you threaten them enough…

Discussion in 'General Gaming Talk' started by Judhudson, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

EA will give you another Spore account, providing if you threaten them enough…

[​IMG]Sigh…Why in the world would a company need to be threatened instead of doing the right thing and allowing everyone to create multiple accounts?* According to a post by SteMot in the EA UK Spore Forums, they sent a letter to EA’s Tech Support threatening to turn them in to Trading Standards considering the fact that the manual states is false advertisement with the ability to create multiple accounts.* Below is a quote of one of EA’s Tech Support reps:

Hello Ste,

This is Canon again. I deeply apologise for the continued difficulties with the Spore game. There was a minor issue with the entitlement, which has now been fixed. You may now retry with logging in to your ‘xxxx@xxxxx.com‘ account, you should now have the same privileges with the aforementioned account.

Regarding the screenshot you provided with the “conflicting” statement, this is not a mistaken statement as an account that already has Spore entitled to it should be able to make use of the said option. Since you now have two accounts with Spore entitlements, you may use the Logout feature as needed.

Best Regards,

Canon D.

Electronic Arts™ Customer Support

So now this guy is able to use the feature inside the game to switch users.* Crazy thing is…it was programmed in the game all along!* Why the hell would they leave such an important feature out and limit us to one account when it is proven it can be done with multiple users?!?* I guess they enjoy holding back on us :/​

I suppose if you really want to escalate this situation to the next level, start sending in your emails to EA asking for your ability to create multiple accounts.* And if it fails, you now know what the threaten them with (I suppose for the US, it would be the Better Business Bureau).* Why you are at it, don’t forget to mention the 3-activation limit in your letter!​

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

5 is 5 too little....

4. swmeek

very true brother but better than three!

5. ManagerJosh

Well now that we can deauthorize and reauthorize, I suppose that's fair enough... Thoughts Steve, Jud?

6. Judhudson

I don't believe in being restricted period. They could put a 100 limit install, and I'll still be making a fuss :/

7. swmeek

Ditto to what Jud said! If I buy a game it should be mine all mine to do with as I please short of pirating the game.
    The same goes for my copy of windows xp.
    I suppose that's a good thing but still like Jud said !

8. Judhudson

I don't like the fact that Windows is limited to 1 machine. Software should only be limited if you have a business. Those who buy copies for personal use should be able to put it on any machines that they own.

Going back to Spore...It's a game - a GAME. Call it what you want: game, toy, device, do-hickey...I don't care. If I bought it I would want to play around with it as much as I can. Only reason I would have to worry about getting another would be if I broke it or lost it.

9. ManagerJosh

So how would you beat piracy? :p

10. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Piracy can never be beaten but one thing is crystal clear - SecuROM has forced legits to turn to the dark side. Last October when the SecuROM fiasco with Bon Voyage broke out, a vast number of previously loyal, legit customers turned to using pirated versions to play. And as they hadn't used pirated games before and therefore had to learn how to do so, guess what their options were for the next EP and the next, and the next....

SecuROM has forced people to 'get around it' by using pirated games. People had to learn how to use pirated games, if they didn't already know. Now they know, do you think they'll buy another EA game with the SecuROM freebie? :rolleyes:

EA truly screwed up by adding SecuROM. GG.

11. ManagerJosh

Well, perhaps I should rephrase the question. How would you minimize piracy? :D

12. Judhudson

That's simple. I'd take the approach of what they did in Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back. Surely EA has enough money to visit and beat the living daylights out of most of the people who pirate - and since they have headquarters around the world, they can cover most countries :)

Would really make you think twice before pirating a copy. Either that or take karate to defend yourself.

13. Judhudson

But on a serious note...

There really is no way to stop piracy on the PC. It's too easy. If they would like to minimize it, I'd suggest the following for EA to do:

*Write a press release stating they will be DRM free from now on
    *Apologize to the gamers on what a stupid mistake they have done
    *State the fact that they will do their best to provide good quality games and not a cheap rushjob for a quick buck.
    *Make it worthwhile to own a full copy of the game. For example, include coupons with the instructions for $5 off your next EA game purchase. Or how about free stickers, preview dvd...whatever - at no additional cost. Yes, it might cost EA a little bit, but still be cheaper than using SecuROM.

They need to find a way to redeem themselves for pissing off gamers. You cannot stop piracy - if someone wants the game for free they are going to get it. But if they prove to gamers that they are trying to restore themselves, you bet a lot of folks would start purchasing their products.

By the way Josh...where did the Edit button go?

14. swmeek

I just wonder (and I have no clue as to how corporate works) but did EA buy or is it renting Securom? I figure as per their contract with Sony they have to include it in their games whether (as we all know) it works or not!

15. ManagerJosh

Edit button is still there.

16. Judhudson

I must be blind...I don't see one :/ Screencap?