Troubleshooting entering barcode at installation

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by mae, Oct 12, 2004.

1. mae

mae New Member

entering barcode at installation

Hi guys, I've searched threads for this problem but I couldn't find anything on this. Mine is a pretty simple problem but I can't seem to figure it out. I've just got the Sims2 and I'm only at the stage where I'm required to enter the barcode at the lower left hand side of my box.

The barcode has 11 numbers and the entry fields have 5 spaces. I can't seem to work out how to enter it in. It says invalid with incorrect space entries...i've tried a lot of combo's. So if anyone can help, thanks! :eek:

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I presume that you mean the Serial Number. This should be in a white box at the bottom of the back cover of the little instruction book that you found inside the box with the 4 CD's. It is NOT the barcode on the case. :eek:

The serial number is 5 groups of 4 characters a total of 20 in all. The barcode is a different beast altogether and will definitely not work! Good luck! :D

3. copter

copter New Member

I havent seen the box for TS2, however, going on previous experience from EA GAMES boxes (*nod* *nod*) the Serial Number is most likely in the the little plastic case. It's in bold.
    Copter.

4. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

Barcode! BWAHAHA. Man, that's good. I don't think I've ever heard that one before. That's almost as good as the cupholder one.

5. Mikkdc

Mikkdc New Member

In the UK CD version there is a very interesting number on the back of the manual.....:winks:

6. lou_knee

lou_knee New Member

I'm just annoyed that you need to have your computer connected to the internet to register. I can't plug my modem into my home line (stupid mis-matching plugs) so I download stuff at uni to take home, but I can't use the sims 2 site because I can't register my product. Grrrr :angry:

7. J. M. Pescado

Here's where we get to the nefarious soul-stealing scheme. I firmly suspect that the EA registration program is spyware. Maybe I'm paranoid, but this entire system reeks. You don't necessarily have to be a fish to know when something is fishy.

8. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I've looked at the program over and over and there's no evidence of spyware. It doesn't even broadcast any data during gameplay.

9. J. M. Pescado

No, but it broadcasts data at registration time. There's no telling what it's sending. Plus the obvious fact is that the registration number is individually identifiable, and therefore constitutes a piece of personal information. Once you register, therefore, you can be tracked anytime you connect to or download anything from them using your new login. Furthermore, these numbers are undoubtedly marked at the factory: Each and every last number, along with what regional stores it was shipped to, is clearly indicated in the EA ledger somewhere. That means they know exactly where it went, and when you register with their funny program that sends godknowswhat, they know who you are, where you live, what ISP you probably use unless you proxy it, and they track you every time you change your ISP, indicating every time you move. These ISPs can easily be tracerouted down a general locality, so they know roughly where you live.

It gets more dire if you had you copy mail-ordered: Since they know EXACTLY who that copy was shipped to, they know *EXACTLY* which number you have. I had to mail-order mine, but to be on the safe side, I had an agent perform the transaction. Therefore, EA does not know of my exact whereabouts....unless I register using my number.

It is unfortunately possible that even if you proxy all your Internet traffic off a third-party server under your remote control, as I do, the fact that the registration client is proprietary and uses an unknown, probably encrypted protocol to transmit both the obvious number....and any personally identifiable information that it may be programmed to glean from your computer, EA may still be able to finger you.

10. ManagerJosh

What's so different when you are driving around Somewhere in the midwest with a car and a VIN number? That's also individually identifiable and personal information.

11. J. M. Pescado

Yes, but in that case, only people who are physically present and observe you can finger you. This is why you should travel by night, under cover of rain and/or darkness.

12. ManagerJosh

You remind me of someone who's afraid of government :)

13. J. M. Pescado

As well you should be. Have you seen what's been happening lately?

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Like said before. Paranoid. Paranoia is not logical else you would not be using the net stat. Proxies are no barrier to detection. My own website's tracking software gives me far more information than I either need or want.

15. J. M. Pescado

I hear that a lot, but you can sidestep a lot of the conventional issues associated with proxies, such as your real address being logged and such, by being the one to control that proxy anyway. Writing your own network protocol helps, too.

16. mae

mae New Member

Ermm....well this is a little embarassing. Firstly, a BIG thanks to all those who helped me out with the 'code'. I meant the registration number and NOT the barcode! :knockedout: I found the code eventually, in a different place to the instructions. It was INSIDE the case and not in that little bottom left white box. Just stating this in case anyone have the same little trouble as me. Thanks again guys! :D

17. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Have you written to EA about being able to register without having your computer hooked up to the internet? While the eReg is the easiest way for a company to do it, there must be some way for people who do not have internet connections at home but like to download things at work (where they aren't allowed to have the game installed even temporarily.)

18. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

i posted this in another thread. take your cd with you when you go to the computer with the net connection. put in the cd, navigate to the support folder and run ereg.exe . register and done.

19. alaskasmith

alaskasmith New Member

When I tried to register using that overly-graphicky program it crashed.
    Well, it got STUCK trying to send the information. Or else it was sending a lot of it.
    I have a very fast computer and I'm on DSL for an internet connection. It was obviously the program that was at fault.
    I don't know what's up with that thing, but it made me suspicious too. I don't WANT pretty things happening when I register. The point is to enter a number on a screen and get back to the game!

20. J. M. Pescado

I knew it! I told you that program was spyware! Thank you for finding the smoking gun I needed.