Troubleshooting Error installing "voice1.package" file - aborted installation

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by GlasgowGal, Sep 20, 2004.

1. GlasgowGal

GlasgowGal New Member

Error installing "voice1.package" file - aborted installation

I bought Sims 2 today. However when I try to install it I get an error on file "TSData\Res\Sound\Voice1.package" (once it got past this and had the error on Voice5.package). When I get the error I can retry or abort the installation. Retrying doesn't make any difference, so I have to abort the installation

My system specs are ...

Pentium 4 1.7GHz processor
    WinXP home
    Just over 19gb free HD space
    768mb RAM (512 installed today)
    Brand new Radeon 9200 series graphics card with 256mb memory (installed today)

Can anyone help? :(

Thanks,
    GG

2. imasimsnewb

imasimsnewb New Member

:cool: i have the same thing LOL but with diferant files! i can help u if u help me i know exactly what we can do to help each other! i hope!

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

This is due to the cd-rom speed dipping below acceptable reading levels for the Install Shield software to read accurately.

First, check to see if there are any scratches, fingerprints, or marks of any kind on the disk surface. Something even as small as a piece of hair or a very light scratch can cause this error. If you find any fingerprints or debris try cleaning the CD with a soft cotton cloth.

If you do not find any scratches, fingerprints, or marks of any kind on your CD, try renaming the InstallShield folder, located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield, to InstallShieldOld. Start the installation again to reinstall the InstallShield components with the newest version.

If the above does not work, try the following CD Troubleshooting steps;

For Windows 98/ME:

Try installing the latest version of DCOM for your operating system. Here are the URL's to download the version for your operating system;

Windows 95: http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom95/dcom1_3.asp

Windows 98: http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom98/dcom1_3.asp

If that does not help, please follow the steps below to ensure a more compatible CD-ROM setting:

Press the right mouse button on the "My Computer" icon from your Desktop.
    Select "Properties" from the menu that appears.
    Select the "Performance" tab from the "System Properties" window.
    Select the "File System..." button.
    Select the "CD-ROM" tab from the " File System Properties" window.
    "Supplemental Cache Size:" should be is set to "Large."
    "Optimize Access Pattern for:" should be set to "Quad-speed or higher."

Try starting up the installation now.

If those settings are already correct, try setting the Supplemental cache size for your cdrom drive to "Small" and the Optimize access pattern settings to "No Read Ahead" (NOTE: if these changes do not help get the game running I would recommend that you restore the original settings after trying this)

Also, if you have any virus protection programs like Norton or McAfee, temporarily disable them by right clicking on the icon in your system tray in the lower right corner of the desktop and selecting "Disable" or "Exit". Also be sure to end all background programs before attempting installation. Do this by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Delete simultaneously and end tasking all applications except for Explorer and systray.

If the game still won't start up, try rebooting your computer, then before you do anything, make sure to end all background tasks then try starting up the game.

If you are still receiving the same error message, then try checking Sync data Transfer for your CDrom Drive.
    Right Click on My Computer and choose properties from the drop down menu.
    Click on the tab that says device manager.
    Click on the + to the left of CDROM in the list of devices.
    Double click on the CDrom drive under there.
    Click on the Settings tab.
    Put a checkmark in Sync Data Transfer.
    Click "ok" and restart your computer.
    Start the installer.

Also, make sure that the default cdrom drive in windows for playing audio cd's is the cdrom drive that you installed the game from.

Go to "CONTROL PANEL" (click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel)
    Double-Click "MULTIMEDIA"
    Click "CD MUSIC" Tab
    Where is says: "Default CD-ROM drive for playing CD music", choose the letter of the drive that the game was installed from.

You can also try disabling DMA for your cdrom drive if you have that option.

Right Click on My Computer and choose properties from the drop down menu.
    Click on the tab that says device manager.
    Click on the + to the left of CDROM in the list of devices.
    Double click on the CDrom drive under there.
    Click on the Settings tab.
    Uncheck DMA if it is already checked (if you have this option available).
    Click "ok" and restart your computer.
    Run the installer.

For Windows XP:

First, make sure that you are logged in as the Administrator (for Windows XP Professional) or Owner (for Windows XP Home). This will usually be the first account that was created once Windows XP was fully installed. If you are not certain, contact the manufacturer of your PC for assistance in finding your Administrator/Owner account.

Next, make sure that all background tasks are closed before running the game. To do this;

Hold the Ctrl and Alt keys down at the same time and hit the Del key once. This will in turn bring up a window called "Task Manager". You will then see 5 tabs; Applications, Processes, Performance, networking, and Users. Select the Processes tab; this will list all current programs that are running. Close all programs that have your login ID next to them. Your user ID is listed in the second column next to the program name. For example here is a portion of what you should see;

Image Name User Name Session ID

Explorer.exe Owner 01

The Image Name column is the name of the programs currently running. The User Name column is where you will find your User Name. The best way to check this is to locate "Explorer" and see what it says under User Name.

Also, do not close any applications that say "System" next to them. Be sure not to close a program labeled "Explorer" or "Taskmgr" as well. You close each one of these applications by clicking on each one and hitting the button "End Process". Note some applications may take multiple times before closing. Don't worry that you are permanently changing your system configuration; these applications will return when you restart your system.

If that fails to help resolve the issue, try downloading the SafeDisk update from the following website; http://www.macrovision.com/solutions/software/fix.php3

If the game still fails to start, try running the installation for the game using the Program Compatibility Wizard. You can find the wizard program by clicking on Start - All Programs - Accessories and you will see the shortcut for Program Compatibility Wizard listed there. Make sure that as you walk thru the menus that you select the option "I want to use the program in the CD-ROM drive." which will be the options on the second screen of the wizard. Once that is selected, select the option "Do not apply compatibility mode" which will be on the next screen. Be sure to only have checked "Disable Visual Themes"; do not apply any other graphical settings. If any are selected be sure to uncheck them before continuing. Continue to follow the screens until it asks you to test your settings, which will activate the autoplay menu to install your game.

For all Windows versions:

If the previous steps did not work, and you have 6GB of harddrive space available, you can try copying the disk files to your harddrive and installing without the CDs. Make sure to follow the steps below exactly as they read, or else the install may not work.

Double-click "My Computer".
    Right-click on the Local Disk C and choose "Open".
    Right-click inside the window and select New, and then Folder.
    Name the folder "Disk Images" it is important that the name has a space in it.
    Double-Click the new Disk Images folder to open it.
    Right-click inside the window and select New, and then Folder.
    Name this folder Disk1.
    Repeat steps 6 and 7 while substituting "Disk1" for "Disk2" and so on until there are 4 "Disk" folders followed by a number 1 through 4. it is important to note there must not be a space between "Disk" and the number.
    Insert Disk 1 of The Sims 2 into your CD-Rom drive and if the autoplay starts, cancel it.
    Double-click "My Computer" to open it.
    Right-click on your CD-ROM drive and choose "open".
    When you see the contents of the disk in the Window, click on edit at the top of the window and choose "Select All".
    All the contents of the disk should now be highlighted, click on Edit at the top of the window again and choose "Copy".
    Open the "Disk1" folder you created under c:\Disk Images , Click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Paste. This will copy the contents of the CD into the "Disk1" folder.
    Repeat steps 9 through 14 for the remaining disks until you have copied each disk into its apropriate folder.
    Once all the disks have been copied, remove ALL CDs from any drives.
    Open the "Disk1" folder under Disk Images and double-click on "autorun.exe" to start the installation.

To save disk space, you can delete the "Disk Images" folders after the installation has completed.

If you cannot copy the cd contents to your hard drive or get the same error message when installing the game on another computer, then there is a possibility of the discs being defective. If the store that you purchased the game from will not allow you to exchange the game for another copy, we can help you obtain another new copy of the game. Please send the following to EA Customer Warranty:

If the disk has been misused or the 90-day warranty has passed, then a fee will be assessed to replace the software.

FEES:

Floppy Disk and PC-CD products: $7.50

Please send the disk, a brief note describing the defect, a sales receipt dated within the 90-day warranty (if applicable), and If a fee is applicable, please include a check or money order for the corresponding amount to replace the disk.

EA Customer Warranty

P. O. Box 9025

Redwood City, CA 94065-9025

(650) 628-1900

4. GlasgowGal

GlasgowGal New Member

WOW - thanks ManagerJosh :D

I've just seen this after struggling all morning again (doh! :rolleyes: ) and ended up phoning EA Games. I tried copying the files to my hard drive but that didn't work. I ended up returning it to the store and getting a new copy which has just finished installing! YAY \0/

Sims 2 here I come :D

Thanks again for your reply,
    GG
    :)

5. jabu

jabu New Member

Cannot copy compressed: Invalid MS-DOS Function.

Does that mean the disc is damaged, or what?

6. Stacey...

Stacey... New Member

Sims 2 problems

I am having the same problem where when ever i try to load my sims 2 onto my PC it just comes up with there is a problem with TSData/Res/Sound/voice1.package.
    I have tried many many solutions but none of them seem to be working!
    Can anyone please help me?
    thank-you

7. Jazz

Jazz Vintage User

hey Stacy. Try not to ressurect old threads. This ones from 2004. Just follow ManagerJosh's post to fix it.

8. meme919191

meme919191 New Member

manager josh, at home i have a imac pedestal, moc os x 10.3.9 when i tried installing the sims 2 i got a message saying voice1.package cannot be installed. then the installing stopped, and the sims 2 doesnt work. It happens every time. What should i do?

9. swimkid06

swimkid06 New Member

the same problem happens to me and i have no clue how to fix it

10. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

You did try the solution he listed above, did you not?