Troubleshooting error message saying sims crashed

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by SherryFoxy, Feb 3, 2007.

1. SherryFoxy

SherryFoxy New Member

error message saying sims crashed

I open sims and the screen starts but then after a few seconds it says it crashed and will terminate program PLease help ASAP Thank you in advance for your help

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Would you be so kind to help us gain some insight on what that glorious error message was? :)

3. xkerri

xkerri New Member

i have this problem too! it's soo annoying, please help :(

4. ManagerJosh

Would you be so kind to help us gain some insight on what that glorious error message was? :)

5. Yarmond

Yarmond New Member

he just said it was that the program will terminate, i'm getting this message too but at the loading screen. All of a sudden it will freeze and after awhile the message will come up

6. Lynet

Lynet New Member

:rolleyes: I would bet that all three of you--SherryFoxy, xKerri and Yarmond--have three different kinds of computers. I would bet, for instance, that none of you have the same graphics card. These things matter.

I suspect that is why Josh asked what the error message said. Those around here with the technical know-how need more information about your computers.

Start here:
    http://forums.worldsims.net/showpost.php?p=94225&postcount=3

7. xkerri

xkerri New Member

on my computer it says
    "The application has crashed. The application will now terminate."
    and then the game shuts down..

8. ManagerJosh

No details button to click to view more information?

9. Mr.Sober

Mr.Sober New Member

it says nothing else just that. nothing more nothing less.

"The application has crashed. The application will now terminate."

that is the error message in a nutshell.

Nothing to click but "OK".

Really I would be looking for the similarities in there computers. But hey thats just me.

10. PvHooijdonk

PvHooijdonk Professional Crasher

Same here ...

Sorry ... no answer from me, but just adding myself to the list of people experiencing this crashing problem.
    I have a fresh install of windows XP sp2, with all the updates and patches.
    I have also applied the official patches for SIMS2 and -pets
    Installed Directx9.0c and the latest drivers for my graphics and soundcard.
    The Sims2 (and -Pets) install without a problem, but right after the intro movie or if you press the space-bar/enter key during the intro the game crashes immediately with the same error message as mentioned in the posts here above.

I have no clue as what could be the cause...
    It might be my new motherboard (Asus Strike Extreme), with the relatively new Nvidia 680i chipset.
    It might be the Nvidia drivers (97.92) for my Geforce 8800GTX ...
    Or it might be something else ...
    If anyone has any good idea, I (and my daughter) would be thankfull

Greetings from Holland

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hi there fellow Euro-person. You have a nice computer. Hope we can help. Please check through the FAQ's (link in my signature) for basic trouble-shooting stuff.

You may have some sort of file corruption going on that is causing the crash. One way to check this is to remove all custom content (including all previously saved games) ... put them into another directory ... [Just shift the folder My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\ to someplace else. The game should make a new one when you start up. If that works then something in the original is badly corrupted ... come back and let us know, huh?

12. PvHooijdonk

I'll try that ...

Thanks for the response.
    I do have restored the files from the first installation to 'my documents'.
    So perhaps that is indeed the source of the trouble !.
    I'll let you know if it works.

13. dangerousgem

dangerousgem New Member

I was having the same problem after I had installed pets.. it was all fine to start with then next time I tried to get in I got the same message. I wasn't able to get into bodyshop either though. I found the bodyshop error log and it was a .dll error so I replaced the .dll file, it was not crashing now but it still wasn't loading so I uninstalled 'pets' and reinstalled it. It seems that fixed the problem, I haven't had a crash since. I have a program called 'Just Registry' which fixes any .dll files (and fixes a lot of other things). There is a free program that does the same thing here: http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

Hopefully that will fix the problem for you all too.

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Reminds me to say that I use Windows Media Player (someone has to :eek: ) and it stopped working a few weeks ago ... couldn't get any sound. Being idle and stupid I went over to using Creative Sound Wotsit that came with my sound card. It was rubbish at managing sound libraries but at least it made a noise.

When I got my internet access I downloaded the latest Windows media Player and guess what? Still no sound. This was obviously a really bad fault. I Googled for help and advice and while I reading through a trillion totally dumb suggestions (eg: do you have a sound card installed?) I happened to notice a little red icon on the shiny new Media Player 11. See the pic.

Boy was I feeling stupid after I unpressed that little mute button ....

Attached Files:

15. PvHooijdonk

Problem still there ...

Ok, I've narrowed down the cause of this problem a bit - I think-
    I removed all files from the sims2 in both the install dir and the my documents dir.
    Did a fresh install of the sims 2 ... it works without a problem.
    executed the patch ... it still works.
    installed the Pets extention ... The program crashes after the intro movie !
    Installed the pets update patch ... no change - still crashing.
    should I manually remove some files before installing the Pets ??

<UPDATE> PROBLEM SOLVED !!
    I tried something else - resembling a little bit the suggestion Dangereousgem made - I removed all sims2 files again, and re-installed Sims2 and Pets right after that (without starting the original sims2 in between) ... that worked !!
    I presume this is the same method, as there was no data created in the 'My Documents' directory prior to installing Pets.
    So this seems to work for now.
    Another small change that MIGHT be the key to solving this problem: This time I've installed the Pets files in a separate sub-directory, instead of in the Sims2 install directory. that might have made some changes as well ...

Anyway, the crashing prob is solved for me now, I hope this info helps others as well ...

16. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Oh boy that's so much bad going on there. I'm upset all over the place here. First I am jealous of your computer, second I suspect that Delft is a heck of a lot prettier and sweeter place than Britain's industrial heartland. And now I am bereft because it looks as though there is some sort of weirdness going on there because the game is not liking the singular combination of bits that make your PC.

You can certainly try combinations of file removal but it is important to remember that a significant minority of people have had problems with NVIDIA drivers which have been solved by rolling back to an older driver. Quite how this might go with your relatively new 8800 is another matter.

Maxis has made a number of game improvements in recent releases of EPs to improve the game's performance on lower end graphics cards. My GeForce FX5600 is showing its age but it does have 256MB of video memory. I faithfully upgraded the NVIDIA drivers each time a new one came out until everything went pear-shaped and (after a catalog of amusingly disastrous errors by me) I eventually formatted my HD and reinstalled Windows :rolleyes: I approached the NVIDIA drivers upgrade with caution and eventually stuck at 71.89 (from around Mar 2005).

So I suggest that you try rolling back to an older driver (if you have recently upgraded it) or else visit NVIDIA's driver site and look for an older version to download. Although I wouldn't think you'd want to go as far back as 2005! I'm stuck there because it works for me and I am reluctant to break with the adage: if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Slight warning. If you play other games as well, using an older driver may cause problems with those ... :(

17. PvHooijdonk

Not a driver issue for me

Hello Mirelly,

Thanks for the kind words. I do believe Delft is not a bad place to live, although I've not been to many different places in Bitain, so I cannot fully compare. And yes, I am very happy with my new PC-parts :) (as soon as I got everything in working order again).
    Perhaps a driver issue might be plagueing other people, but in my case it clearly had something to do with the way the program was installed.
    With hindsight I believe that it was the fact that I installed the Pets files in the same directory as the original Sims2 files that probably caused the program to get confused.
    It's working like a charm now, no crashing whatsoever anymore.

18. Honor

Honor New Member

im having the same problem but im very unsure of what to do :ashamed:

iv checked on dxdiag, i have the system requirements, its not the care minimum so i thought this shouldnt cause a problem.

however it has. the error message is "the application has crashed, the application will now terminate"

what do i do? :confused:

thank you xx