Troubleshooting Extracting files to Sims 2

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by elisey22, Sep 21, 2004.

1. elisey22

elisey22 New Member

Extracting files to Sims 2

I downloaded some stuff for Sims 2 the other night, as you do. I tried extracting some files to the downloads folder for example make up, glasses etc for your sims but they didn't seem to show up? They were package files. Perhaps someone could tell me what to do if I am doing it wrong? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Elisey

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

.Package files go into My Documents\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\Downloads.

The most common reasons for them not to show is that they were either put into the Program files area (which was correct for TS1 but changed in TS2), left in folder or zip file, or put in when the game or BodyShop was running (in which case they won't show up until the game or BodyShop is closed and then restarted.)

Hopefully that helps. ;)

3. CA55

CA55 New Member

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have downloaded about 35 things from different sites(clothes, skins, etc...) and I cannot get them into my game... They are currently sitting in my Doc/EA/Sims2/Downloads folder in the form of PACKAGE files. I wasn't running BodyShop or the game during this whole procedure. So... when I click on the icons I get a blue pop-up box with the following:

"THE SIMS 2 CONTENT INSTALLER"
    "Please double-click a custom content package file to install the content"

But, nothing is happening when I do this, except this message? What do I need to do?

4. HelloKit

HelloKit New Member

You don't need to do anything other than putting them in the Downloads folder as you did. Don't double-click them or anything else. Just by putting them in that folder, you have installed them. They will appear in the game the next time you start it.

5. smoothedge69

smoothedge69 New Member

Where do you find this "Downloads" folder?

6. soccablondey03

soccablondey03 New Member

I have tried many times and downloaded many different sets. Such as nursery sets and the wall paper shows up but non of the objects do

7. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

8. soccablondey03

Thank you, I tried it and ran the game but still nothing

9. soccablondey03

I've download the CEP, and i even tried to download the files as package files and downloading them into the game. Nothing seems to work except for the wallpapers

10. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

Are all of them recolors, or are they entirely new objects? If they're new, make sure you have the mesh. Other than that, I don't know how to help. Maybe one of the more tech-savvy members will come along.

11. soccablondey03

whats a mesh?

12. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

Good question! I was a little stumped as to how to exactly word that as I've never created one...nor do I know how...but I did some searching for you. Check out this thread. KatAnubis explains it very well!

also I'm moving this thread out of the general discussion

13. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Another reason why something you put in your downloads folder doesn't show up, especially for things like objects and object recolors (besides not having the appropriate CEP file or mesh or not having a required EP) is that you don't have custom items enabled for your game.

When you first open your game after installing a new EP, most of the custom content is disabled. You have to check "enable custom content" and then restart your game.

Also, go into options (specifically game options) and make sure that you have "catalogs display custom content" set to "on".

14. soccablondey03

I downloaded meshes for the content that needed it and still nothing. Also custom content is on. The only thing that shows up is the wall paper

15. soccablondey03

Thank you to all I've finally figured it out