Troubleshooting Flashing Red Walls

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by rawr0123, Jan 13, 2007.

1. rawr0123

rawr0123 New Member

Flashing Red Walls

So I've had the sims 2 since it was released.
    ever since I've had it, whenever i would make a pond, it would flash red and be really scary.
    so then......
    i wasnt really bothered by it, so i just didnt make any ponds.
    then...
    i got the sims university today....
    and all of the walls flash bright red!!!!
    its really distracting...
    and I've been google-ing answers to how to stop this madness for over an hour!!!!!!!
    please help a damsel in distress!!!
    :confused:

2. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

First, did you get the patch for University yet?

Second, can you please post your system specs? Then someone more technical minded can come along and help you. Click here if you're unsure of how to do it.

Third, try downloading the CEP, it's possible that it might help to correct the issue as well.

Fourth and unrelated; please don't double post. We're not a very busy forum. I merged the two of your threads into one.

3. rawr0123

rawr0123 New Member

in response-

first of all I would like to say that i have no idea whatsoever what a "patch" is, as I am new at this. if anybody could help me fix my game i would be very very very happy! and I am sorry about double posting, I was very distressed!

PS
    where do I put the CEP after downloading it?

System Specifications-

processor- AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.4GHz

system memory RAM- 448MB RAM

windows- Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

free hard disc space- 287MB used

total hard disk space- 1095 MB available

DirectX version- DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Display adapter-
    name- SiS 760
    model #-

Display Driver Name and Version Number & date-
    name- SiSGRV.dll
    version- 6.14.0010.3770 (English)
    date- 11/10/2006 07:08:18, 3457536 bytes

Approx. Total video memory- 64.0 MB

Game detail- Sims 2 CD, Sims 2 university, Sims 2 Family Fun Stuff

Problem- bodies of water and all walls flash bright red, and also I would like to find out how ot improve the speed of my game, it is very very slow!

4. jupitershana

The patch will fix any problems that are know as universal and that were shipped with the game. Go to the link I provided above and download the patch for the latest expansion pack you have...which would be university. They will give you directions on where to download it.

With the CEP, they also give you directions on how and where you should download it. Follow those instructions.

5. rawr0123

rawr0123 New Member

well, i downloaded the patch and ran it, then a window with a grey screen popped up and it said "the sims 2 university is already up to date"; and I also downloaded the CEP and ran it, and then I ran the sims 2 [after running clean up AND restarting] and the walls were still flashing. I am utterly and totally confused now, is there any other solution to my problem?

ps. thanks so much for all of your help so far!

6. jupitershana

Hmm...well it's possible as well that your graphic card might need new drivers...or it might not be up to par. I'm not to technical-minded so I'm hoping someone else will come along and look at your specs to see how it all matches up.

Flamey? Josh? You two are GREAT at this kind of stuff...can you help this poor girl?

7. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Sure no problem! First thing I saw was the SiS graphics card, this card is not supported by the game and is the reason for the flashing red walls.

You need to buy a new graphics card.

8. rawr0123

rawr0123 New Member

oh, well that worries me.

what kind of card should i get, and how much would it cost???

9. rawr0123

rawr0123 New Member

HOORAY!

i was on ebay....
    and i found a good graphics card.
    and it was listed or like, 10.98.
    but then i started bidding....
    and this other person was bidding against me...
    but i won.
    it turned out ot be 64 dollars...
    including shipping and handling.
    so now i wont have those evil red walls anymore.
    yay!
    and thank you soooooooo much, you nice people on the forum!
    you really helped me out!

10. tom2007

tom2007 New Member

Flashing Red Walls

In installed the Sims Pets recently and my walls are flashing red, it's really irritating.

Here is my information:

DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0904 32bit Unicode
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Processor: AMD Sempron(tm), ~1.6GHz
    Memory: 448MB RAM
    Page File: 244MB used, 810MB available
    System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD System Model: KM400-8235
    Card name: VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
    Manufacturer: VIA/S3 Graphics, Inc.
    Chip type: VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.0212 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks

Tom

11. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

You have the same problem as the person above: unsupported onboard videocard. Like that person, you'd need to buy a new video card and have it installed.

Make sure before you buy that you get one that your computer can use.

There are 3 types of videocard slots. In order of ability with lowest first is PCI, AGP and then PCI Express (the newest.)

You need to know which type of slot you have to be able to buy the correct type of video card for your computer. Chances are you have either only PCI or you might be lucky enough to have an AGP slot.

Once you know which type of slot you have, then you can see what is available.

If you only have PCI slots, then the highest ability cards you can find are the Geforce FX5200 and the ATI Radeon 9200.

If you have an AGP slot, then you're luckier than most people with Sis or VIA/S3 Graphics. It means that you have a much better range of available cards. However, the lowest card that would be recommended are the AGP versions of the 2 cards I mentioned above. If you can afford it, go for one of the better ones (such as an ATI Radeon 9800 or higher, or Geforce 6600 or higher.)

12. Maria_Lives

Maria_Lives New Member

So an SiS card doesn't work?
    Okay... does a new one always cost $64 or around that much? Because I don't have that much money to spare.

13. skg1188

skg1188 New Member

same problem

1. Processor: AMB Athlon(tm) 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
    2. 1472MB RAM
    3. Windows XP Home Edition
    4. Free Hard Disk Space 155GB
    5. Total Hard Disk Space 181GB
    6. DirectX Version 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    7. Display Adapter (Graphic/Video Card) VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
    8. Display Driver Name vtdisp.dll and Version Number 6.14.0010.0194 & date 12-7-04
    9. Approximate Total Video Memory 64.0MB
    10. Game Detail Sims2 University Nightlife Pets
    11. Nature of problem Walls flash red but only when all four are downloaded if three are downloaded then it works fine.

14. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Same problem. Unsupported graphics card. Also the price of a graphics card is like asking . How long is a piece of string? There are different prices in different countries and shops. Also iif its a laptop forget it. Best thing to do is take your machine to local computer shop and ask them.