Flood in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, Aug 19, 2003.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Flood in Las Vegas

3 inches of rain less than a hour!! Wow! I've heard of huge floods before, but this is outrageous....and its in August too :eek:

That's very unusual for Las Vegas, Nevada....considering usually this time of year it is 100+ degrees farenheit.

2. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Wow! That reminds me of the time my mother was visiting her sister in Salt Lake City Utah when it flooded sometime in the 80s I think, it was something like that with the sudden deluge of rain. I hope my cousins in Las Vegas are doing ok, I haven't heard anything about this from them! :eek:

3. timz2rules

timz2rules New Member

due to the fact i just weatherd the storm...the actual totals are...:
    Up to 5 inches of rain per hour in some parts of town
    Hail the size of Dimes
    Many places in the NorthWest under several feet of water(now several feet of mud)
    Winds up to 50 miles an hour
    Rainfall totals in one part of town near three inches

all in all we have to thank the Firefighters and Police officers once more! Thanks to their swift-water training efforts many lives that might have been lost we're saved, and thanks to the flood control devices located throughout town, we all managed to come out unharmed, now, the clean up begins right before scholl is scheduled to begin. For further information on the "100 year storm" that struck Las Vegas on 8/20/2003 visit www.klastv.com they should still have clips of swift water rescue in action! Now all that is left from the storm is costly repairs to property and the fact that parts of Clark County we're declared a "Disaster Area" and all the clean-up begins and hopefully wont have to be...abruptly ended by another huge storm.

I don't have to tell you, it was rather frightning hear hail pounding your house and not being able to see more than 10 feet in front of your face as the rain came down, then watching the main road in front of your house go from road to river in a matter of minutes, I will try to get pictures of the flood from around my house up as quickly as possible!

4. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Wow... I'm SO glad you're ok after being in the middle of all that! It's good there was preparation and flood control devices, I hope the clean up goes well and school can start like you said. Having weather attack like that makes you realize how flimsy your home is... I was really scared in hurricanes as a child when the big trees started coming down and smashing into the roof! Hail I think is one of the things I fear most in weather, it's torn up trees and cars and stuff around here before. I hope you don't have a lot of loss in your area, is everyone you know basically ok and safe?

5. timz2rules

timz2rules New Member

yeah, everyone around here is fine...just a little sore right about now but hey...lol...

6. ManagerJosh

No deaths I hope.

7. timz2rules

timz2rules New Member

no deaths, everyone made it out alive, thankfully :)

8. kellie

kellie New Member

Ahh! I hope everything gets back to normal down there! I never thought LV would ever flood. But, I never thought Kelowna would burn down. Weirdness weekend, that's for sure.

9. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Makes me wish they could somehow harness all that water from Los Vegas and send it to the fires!! ... maybe someday in the future we might have the technology to do that...

10. chatterbox100

chatterbox100 New Member

I've never been in a flood.......dumb Utah...... RAIN!!! -does rain dance-

11. ManagerJosh

*causes an avalanche over Chatter's house*

12. chatterbox100

chatterbox100 New Member

Sweet!!!! :) Avalanche!!!!