Troubleshooting Freezing and crashing

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by Alice, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Alice

Alice New Member

Ello,

I have all of the Sims 3 games. About a month ago, the screen would flash black/grey then I got the BSOD didn't realize what it was. So I just shut my computer off and let it sit for a bit. Happened twice more, uninstalled the game and reinstalled it a day later. I haven't gotten the BSOD anymore. However, my Sims will become invisible, and/or stop moving all together. Time will still go on, they become seriously pissed off because they can't eat or sleep or anything. I've been going to Edit Town and rotating their house to get them to move. It works for a bit then does the same thing, or I'll lose the control panel and won't be able to exit Edit Town mode. Sometimes if I'm buying new things or trying to move them the game will freeze/crash. I bored with the problems and would like some help. Please and thank you. I also don't know how to get the DxDiag.text thingy...

2. Nyx

Nyx The Ever-Knowing

How to obtain your DxDiag file (Windows XP or older)

1. From the desktop click: Start > Run (or windows key + r).
    2. In the blank text field of the window that appears type “dxdiag” without the quotes. Press run or hit enter.
    3. Another window should appear titled DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Near the bottom of the window click on “Save All Information…”
    A popup should appear with a progress bar, this may take a few minutes.
    4. After it completes a dialog should appear asking you where to save the file, I would recommend saving it to your desktop (automatically selected) with the default name and file type.
    5. Open the file on your desktop (or wherever you saved it) and select all (ctrl + a) and copy (ctrl + c).
    6. Paste the information in the tags (ctrl + v) as it can be quite heavy. That is it.

How to obtain your Dxdiag (Vista)

1. Click on the windows icon in the bottom left (It's a blue circle with a wavy square in it.)
    2. In the box that says "Start Search" type in "Dxdiag" without the quotes. Click on the magnifying glass icon or hit enter.
    3. Another window should appear titled DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Near the bottom of the window click on “Save All Information…”
    A popup should appear with a progress bar, this may take a few minutes.
    4. After it completes ,a dialog should appear asking you where to save the file. I would recommend saving it to your desktop (automatically selected) with the default name and file type.
    5. Open the file on your desktop (or wherever you saved it) and select all of the text (ctrl + a) and copy it(ctrl + c).
    6. Paste the information into your forum post (ctrl + v). The Dxdiag may not fit in one post, in that case, please use two.

If you do not want the Computer name to be shown, simply go to the fifth line of the text, and where it says "Machine Name:", replace the computer name with "*". Note, this information can not be used against you in a hacking attempt.

ManagerJosh likes this.
  3. Alice

Alice New Member

Thank you!

Attached Files:

4. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Are you using a laptop cooler when you play the game?
    Do you play it holding it in your lap or on a desk or other hard surface?
    If not try setting it on a hard surface and aim a small house fan at the bottom of the laptop to where it can pull in cool air.
    It sounds to me like it's starting to get hot and the game is locking up on you plus the Intel graphics chipset you have isn't the best for gaming.
    If you're not using a laptop cooler I would suggest you look around and find one and try it.
    They generally can be bought for around $20 USD
    You might also check and make sure the vents on the bottom of the laptop are not getting plugged up with lint or animal hair or anything.

5. Alice

Alice New Member

I thought about the laptop getting too hot, but it never does I hold the computer so the fan is not on my leg, but I'll try the fan. What kind of Intel chipset would work better?

6. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Unfortunately you're stuck with what you've got because video chipsets in laptops are pretty much non-replaceable unlike a video card in a desktop pc.
    If you're going to play games like this in a laptop you want to look for a dedicated video chipset and not an integrated video chipset.
    Both are built into the mainboard of the laptop but a dedicated chipset is much better but you'll pay more for a laptop with one.
    I would try the cooler and see if it helps and maybe lower some of your graphics options and see if it helps too.

7. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

If it BSODs again, please record what is in the areas of the red boxes.

[​IMG]