Troubleshooting Freezing & Sound - HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Gemz, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Gemz

Gemz New Member

Freezing & Sound - HELP!!

Hi Guys,
    I have a major issue with my desktop computer and the sims 2 I have all expansion packs :D which I was able to play on my laptop (XP) but now it keeps crashing on my desktop. :cry:

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000)
    Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce 8400GS
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU 2.33GHz (2 CPUs)
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/30/07 17:10:53 Ver: 08.00.10
    Memory: 2044MB RAM
    Page File: 757MB used, 3551MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode
    (Which exceeds computer spec according to EA Games:( confused:

I have tried everything I can think of but after 10 -15 mins of game play the sound stutters and freezes, then my pc restarts itself. :confused:

Please let me know what you think.

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

My first thought is to wonder what sound card you have.

EA Support has this to say"

3. shellybtanner

shellybtanner New Member

sims 2 game freezing then crashing.

hi im new here just joined today, my husband bought me a hp530 laptop with windows vista for xmas.
    i could play the sims for a whole month before any problems.
    now i can play for 5mins then it freezes and says this program has crashed and will now terminate.

i have expansion packs glamour stuff, family fun stuff and celebration stuff.

i have uninstalled it and reinstalled it but it still does the same.

i even went onto that site where u can test if ur game is compatible with ur computer and it said my cpu speed is slow and my video card doenst meet requirements. but then howcome it played and now wont.

i have downloaded content off the sims website to play game. i even did i virus check but no viruses.

please some help would be apprcieated.

4. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

Did you update your graphics/video card drivers to the latest revision? Find your specs and go to the manufacture's webpage to download. :)

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Laptops and The Sim2 2 do not go well together and EA does not support the game on Laptops.

The simple answer to your problem is that if the game works on a laptop then you are lucky. If it doesn't there may not be anything you can do to make it work.

That said, you say the game worked fine for a month or so (since Xmas) so what has occurred since then?

Remove all custom content from your game. Even content which is free of damaging game hacks will clog up your system memory (which is shared between the graphics and the rest of the computer's systems). Make sure that you have tidied up your hard disc and left it with at least 5GB free so Windows has elbow room for swap files. (You might just have filled the hard drive with music and photos ... :rolleyes:)

For your (graphics Intel 950) You need to make sure you have 2GB of RAM memory (the HP530 should be upgradeable to that, although at Xmas most Vista based budget laptops were being upgraded with RAM to 2GB because memory is cheap at present (although that depends on what US dollars are worth in your neck of the woods :rolleyes: )

Next make sure you run Windows Update to get the latest drivers. After running update set a system restore point and go see if HP has any drivers. If it has they may be better, but at least you have a system restore point to revert back to.

HP Support & Drivers

If you can get the game running for a while before it crashes, then the next thing to look at it is heat. Heat stops computers from working. Laptops get warm ... for sure too hot for an actual lap. You can reduce demand on the computer by keeping your game limited to small lots, with small families (Mom, Pop and 2 kiddies) ... big graphics drains are gardens ... do go wild with fences. Fence sections are like firewood for game performance (they not only occupy the CPU with route-finding problems, but they also give the graphics adapter indigestion trying to work out how to roll those vertical stripes across the screen ... think about it.)

Also invest in a laptop cooling pad (example). Is it summer where you are?

6. Gemz

Gemz New Member

Hi Guys,
    I have finally managed to get the sims 2 working :stirthepot: for some reason it had compatability issues with nightlife. For anyone else having this problem try;

Downloading Windows Hotfixes (Geforce series 7 & 8)
    Change compatability mode to XP
    Run as administrator

This seemed to help the problem until a new patch comes out for vista and graphic cards which does not have backward compatability such as GeForce 8800GTS :p

Hoped this helps.

7. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

Congrats. It's difficult to figure out what truely is the culprit on some of these problems :)

8. shellybtanner

shellybtanner New Member

freezing of sims 2

hi, thanks for coming back to me. i managed to stop the game freezing for a while, but it has started again, i took off all my expansion packs and only played with the sims, and things were fine. then yesterday it started to freeze again.

i did download custom content off the sims website, sims, lots, objects etc.(quite a bit) which i had intalled again on the weekend, which as u say mite be interferring.

i did some phoning around this morning to find out about installing more memory, i got prices for 1gb but by the sounds of things that still wont be enough, will find out about 2gb.

my laptop does get extremely hot while im playing the game. and yes it is summer here by us, yesterday was a sweltering 42 degrees.

thanks so much for your help i will fiddle around some more and see where it gets me.

xxxxx

9. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Yikes! If you're not operating in an air conditioned room then that is almost certainly the main part of your problem! On the other hand if you are always in air conditioned rooms then the outside temperature is irrelevant.

Once a computer's innards rise above 60 stuff is apt to start crashing without notice and without pattern. The actual chips can run a heck of lot hotter, but I'm talking about the general ambient temperature inside the case. If the outside temperature is over 40 then the rate at which your computer can shed heat by sucking air through itself is going to be seriously compromised. A cooling pad might help by forcing a lot more air past the machine so that it at least gets the coolest possible air. Before investing a cooling pad, try operating the laptop on something like a oven rack (to create plenty of space beneath it) with a small fan nearby blowing at low power across it to keep the air underneath as cool as possible.

10. shellybtanner

shellybtanner New Member

sims game freezing

mirelly, u are a star.

i tried playing the sims game with my laptop on my oven rack, and so far so good, culd play for an hour with no hassels.

my laptop also is not getting as hot as it did before and isnt making the noises it used to, which i presume was from overheating

if i have any more probs i will let u know. the weekend will have to be the test coz thats wen i play the game for longer periods.

your help is much appreciated.

thanks.;)

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

All you need to do now is invest in a nice laptop cooling pad ... or I'll oven makers on my back for recommending the misuse of cooking appliances ... not to mention the laptop cooling industry after me for finding a free substitute for their excellent, but not so free, products ... :rolleyes: :p ;)

12. shellybtanner

shellybtanner New Member

:D i have found out from our local computer shop about a cooling pad, they are going for about R500.00 thats not bad, so i will definately invest in one. because our sweltering days will only start ending in march then it starts to cool down for us.

and im also getting another 1gb memory chip installed in my computer.

:cool:

13. sweetemo22jd

sweetemo22jd New Member

Freezing is one sign of overheat. So whenever I play sims on my laptop, I always use a notebook cooling pad.