Troubleshooting Game blanking the screen

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by thebaron, Jan 20, 2007.

1. thebaron

thebaron New Member

Game blanking the screen

Hi, I wonder if anybody can help me please?

My installation of the Sims 2 keeps blanking the screen during play. It happens at random intervals. Sometimes 2 minutes into playing, sometimes up to an hour.

The base game never has problems, and I've witnessed no problem after installing the University expansion either. It is only after installing Nightlife that it starts to do this strange thing:

The monitor just switches off (standby). I know this can happen from incompatible resolution, or if the VGA signals the monitor to standby, but the game will be running fine, then it will just "switch off".

I have discovered that it hasn't actually crashed - as I can hit the Windows key and return to the desktop, and then click "The Sims" in the taskbar and it reopens and works fine (it shows the sims busy cursor for a few moments, on a light blue screen, then returns to where I was in the game)

So does anyone know why this is happening? It isn't a fatal error or anything, but it is a nuisance.

I now have all 4 expansions on (uni, NL, OFB and Pets) plus the glamorous life stuff pack. The problem is still as described with this config - but like I say, it works fine with Base and Uni - it is only NL and above where the problem is occuring.

The system is an AMD Athlon XP - not sure what the rating is (poss. 2100?), the clock is 1800Mhz

512MB RAM

Radeon 9100 VGA

Some on-board sound thing, the board is a KT-333 (if i remember right)

Windows XP, DX9.0c - also, I have tried a full format and reinstall, then installing the Sims 2, and I still get the problem.

Thanks, and hope you can help,

Paul