Troubleshooting game crashes-blue screen appears-help pls

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ineedhelpPlay, Apr 2, 2006.

1. ineedhelpPlay

ineedhelpPlay New Member

game crashes-blue screen appears-help pls

i've installed the sims yesterday...it was ok...ran smoothly..but when i started playing it again today,this bright blue screen suddenly appeared saying something abt a serious error and i didn't hv time to read the whole content coz it disappeared in two ticks and the com restarted itself.

i dt know why it happens.....it was alrite when i played sims 1.

i've read tons of posts but nobody says nothing bout the bright blue screen thing and im so fustrated i feel like crying.

i'll post my coms specs tomorrow..i just feel so angry and annoyed that i just had to post a thread today.

so please please help..

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

No problems. We'll look forward to your specs. Use this thread to post in rather than start a new one and see the FAQ's in my signature for advice on what bits of info we need to see. Sorry you had a bum day. :(

3. ineedhelpPlay

ineedhelpPlay New Member

specs

processor:Mobile Intel(R)Pentium(R) 4-M CPU 1.70GHz~1.2GHz
    system memory:254mb ram
    windows version:microsoft windows xp proffesional (5.1,build 2600)
    free hard disk space: free:15.1gb total: 27.9
    directx version:directx 9.0c
    display adapter:NVIDIA GeForce2 Go (im not really sure whether this IS the display adapater since i dt know wat it means)
    display driver name:nv4_disp.dll version: 6.13.0010.3100 date:31/07/2002
    approximate total video memory:32.0mb
    game detail:i've only got sims 2 on my laptop,no other stuff except for some paperwork and multimedia presentation

nature of problem:as ive already stated ,i can run the sims..and the this blue screen with a white font would appear saying something bout a serious error and disappears quickly and the whole com would restart.

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

OK... someone else might respond with more detail, if not I'll give more advice tomorrow. I should be in bed because it's 3am and my brain is seriously fragmented.

The major problem you have is that The Sims is not expecting to run in a mobile environment. Processors make heat when they work (it's a mixture of good old-fashioned thermodynamics mixed up with some totally weird quantum stuff cos the circuits on the chips are microscopic and probably don't behave in any meaningful way ... see what I mean? I'm rambling :eek:

Big old PC's get rid of the heat by having lots of noisy fans. Laptops don't have that luxury but the game, like I said, won't realise that its in a laptop. So you'll need to set your graphics options down to much lower levels.

Your next big problem is that GeForce 2 is the lowest spec display device the game can run under so perfomance is always going to be problematic.

However, your driver is ancient.
    See the FAQ's in my signature and look for the one about updating drivers. nVidia is easy cos all nVidia cards use the same driver. Just download it and double-click it and let it do its stuff. Then start up the game and make sure to turn down all your graphics options to the poorest quality. If that works without any more errors you can start tweaking the graphics settings back up, one item at a time, one notch at a time until you start to get problems.

Also try to stick to playing smaller sized lots and if you can afford it get at least another 256MB of memory - it WILL make a huge difference.

5. ineedhelpPlay

ineedhelpPlay New Member

hey..thanks so much for ur help:)i probably cant get more memory coz my dad is sure to blow a fuse.

Another thing is,i only hv internet cnnection in my desktop..which i am using now...so i was wondering..how else could i upgrade my driver on my laptop since there's no internet connection there?could i download it on to a cd or something....god..i am so stupid....i really dt know a thing about computers.:eek:

anyway..thanks again,i really really do appreciate it:knockedout:

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Yes you can download the driver and burn it to a CD

Memory might be cheaper than you think ... use a search engine like Google to find out some prices and then plan a way to get the money together. Maybe your dad will contribute some extra cash if he sees you saving like crazy.

Search terms might be laptop memory YourState

7. ineedhelpPlay

ineedhelpPlay New Member

i need help again

mirelly..i went to the nvidia site to download a new driver but none of them seem to be compatible with geforce 2 coz its too outdated...what should i do?

8. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

The GeForce/TNT option in the second drop down selection panel is your baby and don't forget to choose XP Professional in the 3rd. GeForce 2 is old but is still supported under the GeForce umbrella. Go for it. ;)

9. ineedhelpPlay

ineedhelpPlay New Member

but im using a laptop..and i asked this computer guy and he said he's positively sure that the geforce go 7800 gtx is for latops...whereas the geforce and tnt2 arent for latops...

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Oops. My mistake. If you take the 2nd option (GeForce Go 7800 GTX) in the second panel, you should end up here

Check your laptop is on the list of supported notebooks before d'loading and installing though.

11. ineedhelpPlay

ineedhelpPlay New Member

ive downloaded that already..and its not compatible with my laptop...sigh..nvm...thx so much for ur help:Di hv seriously not met anyone so helpful on forums

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Eh! :eek: What make is your laptop?

13. ineedhelpPlay

ineedhelpPlay New Member

u mean model?i think its an acer travel mate 630

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ayup. ;)

I'm not too hopeful after making some more checks :( but anyway ...

Have you tried http://global.acer.com/support/download.htm

Hope levels just went up again :) I found a display driver dated May 04, 2 years newer than your current one. Let's hope it helps.

15. ineedhelpPlay

ineedhelpPlay New Member

urm..the website doesnt seem to hv anything to do with downloading drivers...only stuff like serverbuild or something.

16. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Lets try again ...

http://global.acer.com/support/index.htm

click Downloads

Choose your location in the Bios, Driver, Firmware, Utility section

On the next screen Click on your country

On the next screen Click on Downloads - might vary for different countries but I'm banking on you being in the US

On the Downloads page:-
    * Choose Product Line = Notebook
    * Choose Model = Travel Mate 630
    ****** Click The Search Button ******

3rd Item in the list I got was

Windows XP/2000 Video Drivers
    (NB That link is to an executable driver file - do not download unless you are certain it is what you need - it is for an ACER Travel Mate 630 Notebook based in the USA and it still may not work because I accessed the info from a UK based machine from behind a decent firewall and I am not that technically clever that I am certain that nothing got screwed up. However if you followe my directions you should get to the correct file ... OK?)