Troubleshooting *Game Crashing*

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by AceyBabey, May 16, 2007.

1. AceyBabey

AceyBabey New Member

*Game Crashing*

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
    System Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Windows Version: XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
    Free Hard Disk Space: 80.1 GB
    Total Hard Disk Space: 143 GB
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c
    Display Adapter (Graphic/Video Card:( NVIDIA GeForce 6600
    Display Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Display Driver Version Number & Date: 6.14.0010.9371 - 22/10/2006
    Approximate Total Video Memory: 256.0 MB
    Game Detail: Sims 2 CD Version, University & Open for business
    Nature of problem:
    When I first started playing on the Sims2 Open For Business it worked perfectly but after a while whenever I started playing on it it froze after 5 - 20 minutes of working. The screen froze and the music/sound stuttered, if I then clicked my mouse the game minimised and a message appeared saying that the application had crashed and had to be closed, I click OK and the game completely closes. I have updated my video card and sound card drivers plus I have run error-checking on my harddrive but the problem still persists.

2. robbyk1313

robbyk1313 New Member

Mine crashes at the splash screen at the "Blurring Reality Lines" thingy.:(
    My computer spec.
    Intel Pentium 4 1.83 ghz
    Windows XP Professional
    Hard Disk 1000GB Free Space 935 GB
    RAM 1024 MB
    Graphics Card nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX
    Video Memory 256MB
    Game The Sims 2 Base Game
    My computer: Alienware Aurora

I can't play the game anymore. EA won't help me. Their customer support sucks. Their games are the best but SOME COMPANY won't let me play them.

It cannot pass the loading screen and now I can't play that nice game I loved from the day it came out. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

3. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Did you check for spyware.
    And how large is your pagefile. Also what about background tasks like virus checkers and stuff.

4. Odinmoon

What sound card are you using? And are you using 5.1 or stereo? Also I see you have 1024mb memory.but how much free memory do you have?

5. Vega

Vega New Member

you are using one of the bests graphics card with a pentium 4?? :eek:

can you play other games or it's just sims that is not working?

6. Esteldin

Esteldin New Member

in first place your graphic card have 768MB of memory not 256MB..
    did you check if your PSU has enough power to support your graphic card??

and if possible could you tell us what PSU you have??

i said that because nvidia 8800 gtx need 2 pci-e power cables to get enough power from the PSU to work well...

and check yourr systems temps...it might help

7. Mikeytcar

Mikeytcar New Member

Crashes

My game crashes anytime I click into audio settings or after I select a family. I have all the expansions so I am currently attempting to run Seasons. Here are my system specs

Windows Vista Home Premium
    4 GB ram
    Intel Duo Core 1.7 mhz
    NVIDIA GeForce 7650 GS
    500 Gig HD space
    Direct X 10

Please help me =)

8. Esteldin

Esteldin New Member

do you have the last drivers for vista?

9. Mikeytcar

Mikeytcar New Member

yes. I have updated drivers for everything......

I contacted EA and they told me that the game has trouble running on a duo processor. they said it actually slowed the game down. It makes no sense to me why that would be....

10. Odinmoon

I run Duo processors with no probs. You can change a game to run on 1 processor. By setting affinite. Start the game.
    Alt tab into windows. Crtl alt delete, to bring up task manager. Choose processes. Select The Sims 2. Right click and click on affinity. Then click off one of the processor's iether CPU 0 or CPU 1. If that dont work then change them back.

11. Esteldin

Esteldin New Member

try what moon said...

i saw that you have 4GB of memory...that might be the problem..
    your OS recognize your 4GB of memory??

12. Mikeytcar

Mikeytcar New Member

I set the affinity and still had the problem... I also checked to make sure my memory was recognized and it was..... this completely drives me crazy.... Im in the process of uninstalling it and reinstalling....

13. Odinmoon

Well EA can sometimes be wrong. As you stated you tried affinity and it still didn't work. Maybe if you wait just a couple more days someone else on this forum might have a sugestion.
    Sorry couldn't help.

14. Esteldin

Esteldin New Member

hummm...uninstall your audio drivers and then run the game and check if the game crash...

(can you play other games without crashes?)

15. Mikeytcar

Mikeytcar New Member

Yeah I can play any other game with no problem......

I do believe that it is an expansion pack issue. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled, Im checking each step of the way to make sure the game runs. Sims 2 and Sims 2 University both work...

16. Esteldin

Esteldin New Member

did you instaled all games patches?

17. Odinmoon

I know this sounds silly to ask. However have you made sure your disk are clean? No fingerprints or scratches.
    I had 5000 disk published and half didnt work because someone packing them didn't wear gloves. So we had to manualy wipe every one. Then they worked..Amazing.

18. Cuemilius

Cuemilius New Member

I have the same problem, I'm trying to fix my lil cousins Sims 2 Holiday Edition, she says it crashes or closes in the game. I'm beginning to think its the graphics cards. I notice here that everyone has the same brand graphics card and are having issues Eg this pc has a Nvidia Geforce 5500, I've also used a better Nvidia Geforce graphics card in this pc with the same crashing results. I also notice on the box it says you need a Geforce2 or greater and that no one here has put the '2' on the end of geforce so maybe a new card?
    I'm gonna try my radeon 8800 in this later and see if that helps

19. Cuemilius

Cuemilius New Member

Update: the game works on the other pc which is dual processor and has a Nvidia Geforce card as well, so maybe I was wrong with my theory about the graphics card not being Geforce2 like the box says