Troubleshooting Game Freezes After Splash Screen (Warning, Long)

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by mpprincesspeach, Mar 13, 2007.

1. mpprincesspeach

mpprincesspeach New Member

Game Freezes After Splash Screen (Warning, Long)

Ho Hum...

I know this problem has been posted a million times. I have been trying to fix it for a good week now, and am losing all hope. This is my last resort.

I had The Sims 2 and Uni and OFB installed. I just bought Seasons and was really excited to play it.

After I installed Seasons, I started the game to play it, and when I tried to skip the movie intro by pressing a button the game froze.

I uninstalled everything and reinstalled, patching and starting each EP after each install to make sure it worked. I also bought and added in Nightlife and Pets.

The first time I did it, I made it to Pets, and it did the same thing when I tried to skip the movie.

I uninstalled Pets and tried just running OFB, but I got the error screen that said something like, "This program has crashed and will now terminate." I uninstalled all the EP and even went in manually and deleted keys. I updated all my drivers, Direct X, etc., and I will post my system specs, but assume they are good because I just bought my laptop in September.

I now have been trying for two days (I am also in the middle of finals so spending way more time on this than I should be, :) ) to install The Sims. I get The Sims installed, patched, running. Then Uni installed, patched, running. Then when I get to Nightlife I install, patch, and then it freezes after the splash screen. I have also tried not patching, and it does the same thing.

I don't have custom content, Daemon Tools, and I end all background tasks when I install and play the game.

When I Ctrl-Alt-Del it says that the game is not responding, and does not sound like it is revolving in the CD/DVD drive. Other movies and CD's do work though.

That is all I have found to do? Any ideas? If not, I guess I am going to have to wipe my comp clean and start over and cross my fingers.

Thanks in advance for your help, or even just reading!
    *Kristina*

Computer Specs:

Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2400@183GHz (2CPU's)
    System Memory: RAM 1022MB
    Windows Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1 Build 2600)
    Free Hard Disk Space: 2035 MB
    Total Hard Disk Space: 423 MB
    DirectX Version: DirecX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Display Adapter (Graphic/Video Card) Name & Model Number: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400
    Display Driver Name and Version Number & date: nv4_disp.dll (6.14.0010.8405) 3/7/2006
    Approximate Total Video Memory: 128.0 MB

2. dangerousgem

dangerousgem New Member

I dont know much about laptops, but your hard drive seems pretty small, is that a normal size for a laptop?

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL, gem, that's the page file size not the HD volume.

OK Princess. We like long questions, seriously. At least we can make some suggestions.

Urrr ... first off a dumb question ... have you tried just letting the intro movie run? (There's a way to permanently disable it ... but more that another time.)

I'm gonna be boring and ask you to upgrade that video driver ... nVidia MUST have a newer one than March '06 ;)

That might fix the problem. If not ... erm :eek: Is you CD drive a DVD combo? They can give problems to the game's irritatingly sensitive copy-protection systems.

Middle of finals! Ye gods. We need to get you help fast :eek:

4. dangerousgem

dangerousgem New Member

LOL... oh well at least someone here knows what they're talking about :p

5. mpprincesspeach

At first I just let it run, and as soon as it was done, it would freeze. As of now, the movie doesn't even run. I did delete the files for it, and it still wouldn't run.

I had that one downloaded because I read on a post that a guy was having problems, but when he went to that one he stopped having them.

I have a question regarding installing drivers...How do you make it so that Windows doesn't automatically install a driver for you when you reboot?

Yes, it is a CD/DVD combo, and I have TS2 DVD version.

So close to being done with finals!
    Thanks for your help!
    Eliminate problems one-by-one. :D

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

*sound of tyres squealing as I screech to stop* Have you got into a situation where Windows is reporting the need to install a hardware driver after every start/reboot? (I'm wondering here if you haven't got a serious hardware/software conflict ... nope that box is still under a good warranty ... are you in the EU? ... yeah, course you are, you should have pretty good consumer rights ;) ) I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm not nearly smart enough to troubleshoot Windows/Drivers/hardware conflicts

Did you install the NVIDIA driver ... it's just a double clicky executable it overinstalls any old driver. I'm worried you might have uninstalled something. With your mention of manual uninstalls (regedit) and the potential for error there as well, I am tempted to suggest using the computer restore disc supplied by the manufacturer ... but then you'll need half a day (or more) to reinstall all your bits and pieces (and I always find the anti-virus and firewall the worst of all ... usually cos I can't find the details to re-regsiter it at Symantec.

Yes, one by one and hopefully you are still reading. I have a DVD/CD/RW combo and it wouldn't install a DVD based game. I had to install from a disc image, then I found that it wouldn't start either (funnily enough before it gave up trying to start it tried to upgrade my display adapter <spooky> ) Anyway I tracked it down to Sonic disc burning software which employs something called DLA (Drive Letter Access) - this causes the TS2 copy protection problems :rolleyes:

Hope this helps ... :) (Good luck with your finals! :D )

7. mpprincesspeach

Not every time. Just when I uninstall the driver and reboot.

The website says to uninstall the driver first, and then install the new one. When I reboot, my computer usually automatically reinstalls it before I can execute the new one. The new drive will not install over the old one...when I try it will run through the install program but then give me this error message, "The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any dricers that are compatable with your currnet harware. Setup will now exit." Kind of looks like I'm up **** creek without a paddle, huh?

Haha, don't I wish!

I am too, because it might be less of a pain than this. Get this, though...Sony doesn't come with a restore disc. Don't worry! I made one when I got my comp...just thought I'd mention it. Anyway, totally off topic...

I don't have that program, and I read about that on the help boards. I already troubleshooted that like I read on other posts. Thanks though!

You are totaly amazing, and thanks for all the help! I'm going to have to buy you a drink after all this. :)

PS- ::singing:: Done with school...done with school, lalalala. :p