Troubleshooting Game freezing please help

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by mansa, Mar 20, 2005.

1. mansa

mansa New Member

Game freezing please help

My System specs:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
    Chassis: Alienware Bot Chassis with 270 Watt Ultra-Quiet Power Supply - Silver/Black
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 Processor 520 w/ HT Technology 2.8GHz 1MB Cache
    Motherboard: Alienware PCI Express Motherboard with Intel 915 Chipset
    Memory: 512MB Alienware Dual Channel Low-Latency DDR PC-3200 at 400MHz- 2 x 256MB
    Graphics Processor: Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
    TV Tuner: None
    System Drive: High Performance - Serial ATA - 80GB Seagate Barracuda 7,200 RPM w/8MB Cache
    Optical Drive: Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive with Software DVD Decoder
    Removable Storage : 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive - Black
    Sound Card: Intel High-Definition Audio (24-bit, 192Khz) with 7.1 surround sound
    Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Intel 10/100 Ethernet Adapter

My Problem: My computer will randomly freeze, A message will appear stating( The ialmrnts display driver has stopped working save your work and reboot the system to restore full display fuctionality.) The next message is (The graphics adapter in this system experienced an internal error please contact your graphics adapter manufacturer for techinal support.) Futher more, when i try to use the TS2 Body Shop an error message pops up stating (Direct3d returned an error: D3DERR_Invalid Call!)

If anyone can give me any insight on whats going on Please please do.

Thankyou for your time.

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ooh pretty system. Looks like the game is stressing out your integrated grpahics adapter. A quick look suggest that you can upgrade to a PCIe PCX 5750 128MB DDR though I can't check if that device is listed as supported by Maxis because the EA site appears to be in trouble at present.

Meantime try this.
    Go to http://www.intel.com and head for the Download Center and just follow instructions to make sure have the very latest driver.

Run the game and go to the Options Panel [F5] The click the display button (looks like a screen) and set all the lowest display options.
    When playing remember that the larger the lot, the more objects present, the more sims present all increase the strain on the grpahics adapter.
    Finally ... ;) (here she goes again!) HEAT. It stops a computer dead in its tracks. They are designed to shut down to avoid melting down into smoking heaps so ... make sure you have not blocked ventilation slots, leave a gap of 6" (150mm) all around. Do not site the machine over a radiator or heater or grating (common enough where a PC workstation is sited in front of a window with a radiator beneath it) ... if you can't get the machine away from the heater, turn it off (the heater) and wear another layer of clothes. :p

3. mansa

mansa New Member

Freezing

My game is still freezing up. I have read a few threads, all pointing that i need a new video card, any suggestions on a good video card for my system?

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

one random thought pops into my mind....and that's you might be really under powering your system. 270watts for a PSU is prety low on the low end.

I'd personally recommend getting a decent 520watts. Something to http://www.topmicrousa.com/ocz520adj.html effect.

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I suggested a card above (PCX 5750). It is a new card and so isn't listed by EA/Maxis as suitable. It is, however one of the best cards available for your machine and I feel that it should work, but of course I cannot possibly guarantee that. I can tell you that is available as an option for your PC so it is at least compatible. At around 160 bucks I am afraid the choice has to be yours. Also be aware that it might tend to overheat in your tiny tower case and extra cooling will only add to the cost without adding to any guarantee of proper working. Sorry. :(

6. mansa

mansa New Member

freezing

so i'm screwed for now????

7. ManagerJosh

I'm still putting my money on an undervolted system.

8. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

9. ManagerJosh

Yea, but its 270watts...Most power supplies I see nowadays are around 400max :-/

Even I got myself a 500 one.

10. Saaski

Saaski New Member

ialmrnts display driver error message with computer freeze

I don't have any Sims programs on my computer, yet I keep getting the same message "The ialmrnts display driver has stopped working normally. Save yoru work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine a dialog will be displayed giving you a chance to upload data about this failure to Microsoft."

I know this is a Sims forum, but it is the only place where I have found any information regarding this error message using online search engines. I only started getting these messages when my system froze a couple of days ago, but it has done so several times and is frustrating. When I send the informatin to Microsoft I am referred to the Intel website to download a fix, but I cannot locate a repair for my problem.

Anyone have any advice that a novice can carry out?

Thanx,

donna :eek:)

11. ManagerJosh

12. chiggster

chiggster New Member

More upto date download?

Hi, I'm having the same problem. Only I see this thread is pretty old now, and when I attempted to install from the link above I was told I already have more recent version. Is there is more recent download??

13. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Um.. Moderaters don't really like it when you bump old threads, so maybe you should start a new thread here in the same forum? That way, I think you'll get more help. :classic:

14. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

I run at 500watts. I also have extra cooling fans. A good trick If you think its overheating, is try putting your household fan directed at the computer for a quick test. And time how long it takes before it crashes. If there is a difference, then your comp is overheating.

15. fleurmc

fleurmc New Member

ialmrnts

Hi,

To be honest, I don't know a lot about computers, but I've had this problem while playing Sims 2 and I've found a fix.

If you switch your view and play the Sims 2 in windowed view, you should stop having this problem.

Right-click on whichever icon you use to start your game on your desktop and select Properties. Go to the Target box and put a space and -w after the target.

My computer would freeze up just about every time I played it and I've never had a problem after doing this.