Troubleshooting Game stops after launched.

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Red-Viper, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Red-Viper

Red-Viper New Member

Game stops after launched.

Hi all.. I've read all the other posts,and it seems like this is a common problem. However nothing I've tried from those posts has worked for me.

Ok,so a few days ago I installed The Sims 2 Double Deluxe. Installed fine,and afterwards I played it for about an hour.During that time I had no issues whatsoever. Then I quit,and turned my pc off. The next day I go to play it and it absolutely will not run after the launch screen. No error messages,no error sounds,nothing. The screen doesn't even change after i hit "play",it just stays on my desktop. And when I watch it on Task Manager it just kills itself for no apparent reason. I tried several different things(turning anti-virus off,re-installing,emptying temp folder,stopping all but the necessary programs from running through Task Manager) and nothing worked. So I kinda gave up on it.

A day later as im starting up my computer I decided to give it a shot just for the hell of it. And it worked. Again,played for a while,like 3 hours or so without any problems,then it crashed. Afterwards it went back to what it usually does when trying to launch it.

For the life of me,I can't figure out what it is. I know by now it has to be something really obvious,but I can't see it. The thing I dont get though is why does it work sometimes,but most of the time it doesn't? And when it does work it runs flawlessly... Anyway,heres my dxdiag report. I'm aware that my video card is not supported,but if the game has run then does that matter? Thanks for taking the time to read this,I appreciate any help I can get.

Attached Files:

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

One thing that I noticed is that you have very little disc space available. While you have about 150gb in your C: drive, all but 12gb is full. That's not even enough to do a decent defrag (which usually recommends that you have at least 25% space on your drive.) You could have a fragmented drive which allows you to play for a while, but then gets too fragmented to do more than crash and might prevent a restart.

3. Red-Viper

Red-Viper New Member

Makes sense.. ok,I'll try freeing up some space and then doing a defrag.Thanks for helping me out,I'll post the results..

4. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

If you want to use a really good defrag program other than Microsoft's do a search for AusLogics Disk Defrag. It's free and it works great!

5. Red-Viper

Red-Viper New Member

Sorry its taken so long to reply. Well I've spent some time freeing up some disc space(freed up about 42 GBs),and then defragmented 2 or 3 times. The I went ahead and re-installed. Unfortunately,its still hasn't fixed the problem. This is SO frustrating. Mostly because I still don't even know what the problem is... I keep thinking its my Anti-virus or something thats blocking it,but I've shut it down and the game still wont launch.

6. Red-Viper

Red-Viper New Member

I just noticed this exception report that gets generated whenever the launch fails. Is this related to my problem?

Attached Files:

7. Red-Viper

Red-Viper New Member

I seem to of fixed whatever was wrong. I had to reset my pc to factory defaults for several reasons. But hell its working now. To anyone in the future that might have the same problem I did,it was not my:

-graphics card or its driver
    -sound card
    -memory space(cleaned out half my disk space and defragged)
    -programs running in the background conflicting with TS2
    -temp folder
    -download folder being left over

My guess is it was virus related(even though my spyware/virus remover showed I was clean). I really have no idea..

8. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

It's hard to say as there are really too many possibilities of what can cause issues.