GameCube Questions

Discussion in 'General Gaming Talk' started by SolidSnake_19, Jul 31, 2004.

1. SolidSnake_19

SolidSnake_19 Senior Moderator

GameCube Questions

Not too sure how many people here have a GCN but thought I might as well post this.

Recently I've been thinking of getting myself a Cube but before I do I wanted to talk to some people that have one, and ask the following questions:

How good of quality is the system?
    Does it scratch discs every now-and-then and does it have tendancies to "Disc Read Errors"?
    Are the WaveBird controllers recommended?

Which games would you recommend I checkout?

Also, if there's any dislikes you have about the Cube would you be able to list them incase it's something that I may find helpful in concidering wheither to/not buy.

Hope what I'm trying to get at makes some sense. ;)

2. FinalFantasy4ever

FinalFantasy4ever Oh where in the world...

Lets see.....As much as I like it, ours had a problem and the open button got jammed and it's hard to make it go back up so you have to use games to hold it down so Im not sure if other people have had this problem or not. I personally have never had it scratch disks or have "Disc Read Errors" This is one of my favorite systems. I liked Super Smash Bros. Melee the best for this system, although the sims isnt that bad. Even though it is one of my fav systems the PS2 beats it with Disgaea- Hour of Darkness and La Pucelle Tactics. Ive never used a wavebird controller but you may want it depending on how far away you want to get since the cords on the controllers are not that long.

3. ringleesim

ringleesim Computer Overlord

Get the Cube!!!!!!

I've never had a real bad problem with it....
    Super Mario Bros. Melee and The Sims Bustin' out work great with it!

4. ringleesim

oh i forgot to add the rest... sorry... the sound and graphics on it are great... the wavebirds go wireless up to 20 feet...( it does not have a rumble feature )..... it doesn't sratch disks.... and errors don't pop up much....

5. SolidSnake_19

Okey Dokey.

FinalFantasy: what is the open button like anyways? Is it kind of like the PS1 where you click the button and the top pops up? (The power doesn't need to be on to open it, correct?)

Thought of another thing too... Just say you were playing Melee but then wanted to play Animal Crossing. Do you need to shut off the power before you switch the games or can you switch them while the machine is still reading the first disc?

Do you know a rough estimate of how long the controller cables are? Are they closer to N64 length or PS2? (or foot length if that's easier)

What about the cleaning of the Cube... How do you clean the lazer eye and interior if it gets dirty?

6. FinalFantasy4ever

Ok lets see. the open button is like the ps1 where u push it an the top pops up. no power doesnt need to be on to open. You could switch the cds but nothing would really happen, you would have to restart it. Never cleaned our cube so cant answer that and controllers....about as long as the N64's but those where too short and we had to buy an extension lol.

7. SolidSnake_19

About the 64's length, huh. Hmm. I think I'll go with a WaveBird then. :p

One last question for now: How many online games does the GCN have? (What are their names?)

8. FinalFantasy4ever

To this one I have no answer. I didn't know if there were any because we don't often buy them lol

9. SolidSnake_19

lol, okie. Thanks for the help, FF and ringle. :)
    If I think of any more questions I'll post 'em. ;)

10. ringleesim

just to let you know.... you'll need a broadband connector to play online...

11. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I just measured and the actual CORD to my GameCube controller is 76 inches, not including the inch or so long connector where it plugs in. :D I tried the wavebird controller at a friend's house and decided not to get it because I have trouble where I'm not AIMED right toward the machine while playing... I get excited and end up pointing too far up or down... :p But if you don't have that problem the cordless controllers are good. :D

I'm not sure whether there are online games for the GameCube console or not.

I only have 3 games for the Gamecube but I love them all! Animal Crossing (which was why I BOUGHT the GameCube in the first place), Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life, and Gauntlet Dark Legacy.

12. SolidSnake_19

76 inches? Oh yeah - that's a few inch improvement over the N64's cords.
    The WaveBird is that picky on which direction you point it in? Hmm... Maybe I'll just stay with the regular controllers and save myself $10.

Actually, Animal Crossing is going to be the first game I get when/if I get a Cube (which is the reason I want a GCN too:p). I've read and re-read the previews/strategies in NP and I can't help but think that the game is going to involve hours of fun. :D
    The in-game codes for sending items over the net to a friend sounds like it would be a pretty neat feature also (not too sure how it all works though).

One thing about AC that I've been wondering, Fae: Since it is a real-time game what happens if a person doesn't have a whole lot of time to play it? They don't miss out on a lot of happenings in their town, do they? :\

13. FinalFantasy4ever

Only if an event was scheduled that day ^.^
    Usually you can find out when holidays are on a website which is what I did but there are some special things that you have to find out when they are like when a traveling sale person comes. Joan comes and sells turnips every sunday and you have to hunt her down before noon. Then sometimes you can sell them for a lot more than you bought them there is a trick to this too but I feel I have said enough. Oh yeah and if you missed something you really wanted just time travel back to it lol.

14. SolidSnake_19

Ahhh. I was afraid that there would be little things every day that one might miss if they hadn't played the game in a week or something. That makes more sense.

?

Do you reset the GameCube internal clock to do that?

15. FinalFantasy4ever

You can but I eventually realized that when they askin if you are ready to play that there are more options and you can change the time there without having to reset the GC's clock.

16. OinkUsed2BABunny

OinkUsed2BABunny Perma-banned.

Dont forget TTS and Wind Waker.

17. SolidSnake_19

Heh. How could I forget TTS? It and AC are the sole reason I'm wanting a GCN (PS1 MGS crapped out on me :cry: ).

Not too sure about Wind Waker though... Is it any good?

18. FinalFantasy4ever

hmm i think ww is the only one i ever pllayed and i liked it ^.^ lol

19. OinkUsed2BABunny

OinkUsed2BABunny Perma-banned.

It's pretty good. The combat system's pretty childish (like the rest of the game) since the game practically guides you thru the most mundane of tasks, but deep down it's still worth losing a few hours on.

20. ringleesim

I don't have many games for GCN cause 1. I wanted to buy TS2 with most of my money. And 2. I probably won't play it much once Iget TS2... : )