News GDC 2012: Breaking down SimCity's Glassbox engine

Discussion in 'SimCity (2013)' started by ManagerJosh, Mar 7, 2012.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

"You should be surprised by how simple this is, and frankly skeptical of how you can build a SimCity game out of this," joked Glassbox system designer Andrew Willmott at GDC on Wednesday.

Willmott broke down how the Glassbox engine works on a basic level. Glassbox was built with all future Maxis-made simulations in mind (classics
    SimTower
    and
    SimCopter
    were namedropped as possible directions to go, though these are obviously not announced products), though for now it's being utilized just for the upcoming
    SimCity
    revival.

The meat of a Glassbox-powered game is split into four object types: Resources, Units, Maps and Globals. These are tied together by Rules that are dictated by game scripts.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/164870/GDC_2012_Breaking_down_SimCitys_Glassbox_engine.php

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

It sounds like this is what's going to replace the old RCI stats.

3. ManagerJosh

It makes me wonder though if it's feasible though. I liked the old RCI Model. :) It was clean, simple easy to understand.

4. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

It sounds like they're trying to make it a more complicated model than the old one. Perhaps people thought the RCI was too easy.

5. ManagerJosh

There was nothing wrong with RCI except it only allowed you to make one kind of city: Urban.

It did not allow you to make a themed based city.

6. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

So my resources will eventually be depleted? Nooooooo!

7. ManagerJosh

Your resources belong to me!! BUAHAHAHAHHAHAHA :evil:

8. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

I will trade you my pollution for your clean air, yes? :D