Good Way To Tell If Your Computer WIll Run TS2

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Jotu, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Jotu

Jotu New Member

Good Way To Tell If Your Computer WIll Run TS2

Hey all,

Just noticed that The Sims 2 is featured on Windows XP Game Advisor. Basically to see if your computer can play TS2, just:

1) Go to http://www.windowsgameadvisor.com
    2) Click the button to start the game advisor
    3) Choose The Sims 2 (Right now it's the featured game)
    4) When it asks, install the ActiveX plugin
    5) It will eventually spit out a rating of how well your computer will run TS2, for example my computer got this:

[​IMG]

2. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Yay!!! Mine will run it with no problem! You should see my Hubby, he's so proud. (Designed our computer himself two years ago, and it's still got it! LOL)

3. FinalFantasy4ever

FinalFantasy4ever Oh where in the world...

LOL. I know this computer won't run it but thankfully we have our other comp which is much better but I decided to run that thing anyways on this one. I was a good amount below the requirments ^.^ Had a problem with my video card lol. Of course can't replace that on this poor lovey comp.

4. Pimms

Pimms New Member

Thanks Juto for the link it is the tool everyone has been waiting for. It sure will answer all those tech questions. I can't get it to work on my computer for some reason though :( it says the following: "Unfortunately we were unable to identify some hardware components of your system, and therefore it is not possible to provide accurate performance analysis."
    Too bad I was looking forward to seeing what my results would be. I wonder why it is doing that for me???? Juto can you help me? Pimms

5. FinalFantasy4ever

FinalFantasy4ever Oh where in the world...

Yeah I had that same problem with my better computer!!

6. Supernova

Supernova New Member

My computer is at the very top of the performance thingy. Just like in that screen shot! :D

7. Jotu

Jotu New Member

Hrm, I don't know why it would be saying that..assuming all your drivers are installed properly, and as you said on MSN Liz's computer came back the same so they most likely are, then you probably just have some piece of hardware not in their database, so it dosen't know what to do with it ;(

If only htings were perfect, but hopefully it will work for most people.

8. Supernova

Supernova New Member

Cant complain with the result ;) .

9. Trinasis

Trinasis New Member

I don't think my laptop with work for the sims 2. Because my video card and memory is low but I really don't know I need to get more memory! But here is what the link said to me..."Unfortunately we were unable to identify some hardware components of your system, and therefore it is not possible to provide accurate performance analysis."
    So What does this mean? Can someone tell me that much!

10. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

It means that the laptop has components that are different from the desktop models it was programmed to look for (such as the video cards.) Laptops use different video cards from desktops (because they have to be small enough to fit in one and also they have to avoid heat generation because there's not enough room for a big enough fan for a regular card.)

Also, laptops are notorious for being difficult (if not impossible outside of the factory) to upgrade. Some can get additional RAM but unless you have a new laptop which is like the alienware ones, you can't fix the video card issue.

11. Jotu

Jotu New Member

I was checking out some of those alienware laptops with the removable video system. They seem pretty nice, but really for the cost of one I could build myself a pretty ddecent gaming rig and still afford one of the more entry level laptops from Dell for word processing, web browsing, etc..., (though I will always still prefer IBM and Toshiba for PC laptops, though right now i'm using an ibook (yay apple) as my main laptop ;))

12. Supernova

Supernova New Member

Ill just stick my good ol' PC :rolleyes: .

13. litl_mama1971

litl_mama1971 New Member

Here is mine. It is barely over min pc but it should still work. And my hubby plans to upgrade it soon. I just hope he gets it done soon and done correctly lol.

[​IMG]

14. Supernova

Supernova New Member

Wow thast really close. For mine, the minimum requirements were in the deep red, while my PC was in the bright green. I ahve almost 4 times the requirements.

15. Trinasis

Trinasis New Member

I really don't think nothing is wrong with my video card I just need more memory

16. J Mo

J Mo New Member

No, it's def. your video card. Mine was like that (and I have 512 MB), once I got my new video card today, it went to the highest mark of green, like the original posters and Supernova!

17. Trinasis

Trinasis New Member

I don't think so...but that is your opinion! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. and They also have another way of checking it out it was this site but I forgot what the site was and they said my video card on my laptop was ok the only thing that was wrong was my memory!

18. bangin knee song

bangin knee song New Member

Okay, here is what mine is now (I have a pretty crappy video card:(

[​IMG]

How much do you think that will go up when I change the video card to an ATI Radeon 9200se?

19. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

If you are going to go to the expense and bother of getting a new graphics card, at least don't get an SE. Get a regular 9200. The SE stands for second edition (although some people call it special edition. But if that's the case, it's more like it needs "special education") and are very poor cards.

If you are short on money, play the game for a while to save up the difference in price. It would be worth it in the long run.

20. Supernova

Supernova New Member

It looks like yours should run fine already, so I dont think you need to buy a new video card right away. You should just see how the Sims 2 runs first, then look into a new card.