Troubleshooting Graphic Card Driver Error

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by INeedHelpWithSims, Jul 17, 2005.

1. INeedHelpWithSims

INeedHelpWithSims New Member

Graphic Card Driver Error

The game works fine untill after a little while of playing it reboots my computer and when the computer comes back on two error reports pops up the first one says the computer has been through a serious error and the second says theres something wrong with the graphics card driver i changed the screen resoulution and kept the sims 2 settings on default.
    -im using a GeForce 6200 128MB
    I went to nvidia.com and updated the driver (didnt help)

What is the problem?

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Mind posting up your computer specs? :)

3. INeedHelpWithSims

Specifications AOpen System Model:MX46-533VBIOS Version:phoenix/Award Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version:5.1.2600 Service Pack:1.0 Location:C:\WINDOWSPID:55277-OEM-0049186-15008Hot Fix:Q819696Memory (RAM) Capacity:512 MBProcessor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz Version:x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 Speed:2699 MHz General Computer Info System Name:COMPUTER Domain:MSHOME Time Zone:Eastern Standard TimeConnection:Workstation (standalone)Proxy Server:NoneIP Address:0.0.0.0
    172.151.65.9IPX Address:Not Enabled

4. INeedHelpWithSims

sorry its sloppy and my computer is bad lol

5. ManagerJosh

6. INeedHelpWithSims

yeah the hyperlink is still pink lol but really i wanna play so bad too

7. ManagerJosh

Could you post up the error messages that you get? Need it in full detail, not abstract.

8. INeedHelpWithSims

i have to have the error again dont I?

9. ManagerJosh

That would be a rather wise idea :) Unless you have photographic memory :)

10. INeedHelpWithSims

lol okay please stay on if possible

11. INeedHelpWithSims

The First Error Report

Computer restarted after an unexpected shutdown. Microsoft Windows detected a possible device failure.

The driver for the display device was unable to complete a drawing operation. Please check with the device manufacturer for a driver update.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
    The display driver for NVIDIA GeForce 6200 seems to be responsible for the system instability.

To see what data this error report contains, click here

12. INeedHelpWithSims

The system has recovered from a serious error.

A log of this error has been created.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
    We have created an error report that you can send to help us improve Microsoft Windows. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

To see what data this error report contains, click here

13. ManagerJosh

how about that click here part :p...those were still in the vague department :p

14. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

just a wild guess here, but id check the airflow in the case. specifically around the graphics card. i seem to be getting BSOD's on my system which bring up that same error message. this really only happens on graphics intensive games. and at the same time the top of the case and the air coming out the back is really warm. probably doesnt help that the heatsink on the video card is butted up right against the modem below :p

15. garyalexza

garyalexza New Member

This sounds a lot like you have issues with your graphics card, either by overheating, or some other fault. These type of errors would be caused by stress being put on the card by the game, and the card not being able to handle it. (And TS2 does put stress on your graphics card). I would suggest taking your PC to the place you purchased it (after making backups of all vital data) and getting them to look at the problem.

I had the same issues a while back with my graphics card, and found it was the heatsink, which I replaced.

16. INeedHelpWithSims

thanks guys ill look into that

17. INeedHelpWithSims

This is what the crash analysis said

Error Caused by Graphics Device Driver

Thank you for submitting an error report. Microsoft is unable to determine what specifically caused the problem you reported. To troubleshoot the problem, please see the information listed below.

Analysis

A device driver installed on your computer caused the problem, but we cannot determine the precise cause. Depending on which situation is applicable to you, please do one of the following:
    • If you are running Windows Server 2003 you may experience crashes if you have adjusted the Hardware Acceleration setting. Microsoft recommends that you set the Hardware Acceleration setting to None for server systems. To check your Hardware Acceleration setting, go to the Advanced section of the display properties dialog box.
    • If you know the manufacturer of the device, contact the manufacturer's product support service for assistance.
    • If you don't know the driver's manufacturer and need help diagnosing and resolving this problem, contact your computer manufacturer's product support service.
    • Updated drivers might be available on the Microsoft Windows Update website. At Windows Update, you can have your computer scanned and, if there are updated drivers available, Windows Update will offer a selection of drivers that you might be able to use. To learn more about updated drivers that might be available, visit Microsoft Windows Update.
    • For information about Microsoft support options, visit Microsoft Product Support Services.
    Additional Technical Information

18. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I would definitely try running the game with minimum display/graphic settings to see if the error is still repeatable. It is summer in the northern hemisphere. Is it very hot where you are? Is there airconditioning? Is the computer case perhaps in a hotspot (like on a sunny window?)

19. INeedHelpWithSims

nope its nice room temperature a little colder

20. INeedHelpWithSims

any suggestions after reading the analysis anyone?