SimCity Societies Graphics card

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by dothendrik, Feb 26, 2008.

1. dothendrik

dothendrik New Member

Graphics card

Will a ati radeon 9200 128 meg graphics card be compatible with Sim City Societies

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Compatible? Probably. Will you enjoy SCS's graphics at it's full potential? Probably not. You'd probably have to lower everything to the bare minimum settings.

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I think that's a bad answer. Spending serious money a game for a computer which is two or three notches below the supported minimum system requirements is reckless gambling. It would be safer to spend the $50 of game money on lottery tickets and hope to win enough to buy a new computer.

dothendrik should save his $50 towards a new computer or graphics card.

Just my opinion, but what would I know? :rolleyes:

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

The minimum system requirements can be found below:
    • Windows(R) XP SP2 / Vista*
    • 1.7 GHz Intel CPU or faster, AMD XP 2100+ or faster
    • 512 MB RAM
    • At least 4.5 GB free space
    • 128 MB Video Card
    • DVD drive: 4 speed
    • DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
    • DirectX: Version 9.0c (included on disc)
    • Input: Keyboard, Mouse
    * Windows Vista requires a 2.0 GHz processor or equivalent and 1 GB RAM.

Supported Video Chipsets:
    • NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 or greater.
    • ATI Radeon 9600 or greater.
    • onboard chipsets are not supported.
    Windows Vista requires:
    • NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or greater.
    • ATI Radeon X600 or greater.
    Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported.

Based on the above information, in theory 9200 could work but it's not guarenteed. Definition of supported usually infers that they've tested on such a chipset.

5. dothendrik

dothendrik New Member

Unhandled exception erroe

The reason I asked is due to the fact thta that I also experience the unhandled exception error that other owners complained of but I downloaded new drivers for my radeon 9200 and maybe that will do the thing.

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Looks like dothendrik already has the game, judging the poster's latest response. However that fact remains far from clear. What was clear, from the original question was that advice was being sought as to suitability of a 9200. Any suggestion that a 9200 may be suitable is entirely erroneous since EAs listed system requirements clearly state that anything less than a 9600 is NOT supported. I pointed this out in my post, but you, Josh, chose to try to make it look like your idea. My advice is complete and awesome. Yours was late, pernickity, and pointless and worse ... it continues to hint that a 9200 might be OK. Which is both bad advice to a poster whom you do not know can afford to speculate in purchasing an expensive game and also churlish in that your advice seeks to clarify mine (where no clarification was needed) while simultaneously ignoring the fact that my advice is the most ethical and correct advice to original question as asked.