Troubleshooting Graphics problem w/ Sims 2 Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by macl504, Dec 27, 2007.

1. macl504

macl504 New Member

Graphics problem w/ Sims 2 Deluxe

Hi there,
    I recently bought a new laptop and installed The Sims 2 Deluxe, my old laptop was very old and ran The Sims 2 with University no problem graphically (but it was very slow). With my new laptop the speed of the game is unbelievable but I'm having a problem with the graphics. It doesn't do it all the time (mostly when I go Downtown) but my people get cut in half and the bottom of them are ahead of the top and I get these huge lines or something almost like the people get magnified and you can't see anything but black until you move around a bit and then it seems fine and does it again. I've checked out your other posts and would like to see if I could update the drivers and that would fix it, BUT I don't know which one to use because mine does not seem to be there. Also I tried running it in Compatability mode which seemes to minimize the problem but not fix it. I don't know much about video cards or graphics on a computer but I don't think I'm able to upgrade mine. :( So I'm really hoping someone can help me out with this because I'd like to install Seasons but I see no point in that if I can't run Deluxe properly first. Please help and thanks in advance. :)
    oh and here's the info. (I hope it's the right stuff)

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
    Memory: 1918MB RAM
    System: Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.071009-1548)
    Free Hard Disk Space 133GB
    Total Hard Disk Space 173GB
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    Card name: ATI Radeon X1200
    Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x791F)
    Driver Name: atiumdag.dll,atiumdva.dat,atitmmxx.dll
    Driver Version: 7.14.0010.0517 (English)
    Display Memory: 830 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 127 MB
    Shared Memory: 703 MB
    The Sims 2 Deluxe
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]

2. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

You did good by posting your specs on your first post. Let's see if we can't solve your problem. You probably couldn't find your drivers at the ATI website since it is listed under Integrated/Motherboard and not an actual Radeon card. Here is the latest driver you should have: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista32/integrated-vista32

You'll want the full version which is 38.2MB.

Give that an install, then restart and try the game to see if it fixed your problem :)

3. macl504

macl504 New Member

No luck. :( The people still get split in half or drag their image along the screen or stretch it over the whole thing. Any other suggestions?

4. Judhudson

Hmmm, I'll have to research more on this problem to help you out, so hopefully when I get home for work I'll have a few more suggestions. Did you happen to set all of the graphics options in the game to Low to see if that corrected anything? Also, did you update the game with the latest patch (see official website or check my site in the sig for a patches page)?

5. macl504

macl504 New Member

I did try and set the graphics all to low, with no change so I put them back to default. I'm going to take a look at the patches now. Thanks for you're help. :)

6. macl504

macl504 New Member

Hmm would I use the patch for The Sims 2 or The Sims 2 Nightlife? I have The Sims 2 Deluxe. I shall wait for you're reply or I may screw things up more.

7. Judhudson

Should be Nightlife, since Deluxe includes the Original Sims 2 + Nightlife, correct?

8. macl504

macl504 New Member

Hmph, as I suspected. I tryed the Nightlife patch and it didn't work. It says something about it being only for the Expansion Pack Nightlife and that I don't have it installed. I presume since Deluxe installs it as one it does not see the expansion pack. :( Any new suggestions?

9. Judhudson

:( That stinks. Thanks for letting me know that. I would have figured it would of worked...

Hmmm, I can only think of one other thing and that is installing DirectX9.0c to go alongside your DirectX10. I can't guarantee that will work though.

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Deluxe includes the Christmas Party Pack (named differently in different markets), which is no longer available separately.

The patch you need would the Patch for The Sims 2 (CVD or CD version according to wot you 'ave, innit). ;)

11. Judhudson

I did not know that, thanks Mirelly :)

12. nextelspe

nextelspe New Member

Hi all, I am having the same problem with SIMS 2. I just got a new laptop with the same specs as listed, it's a Toshiba P205D-S7438 with the same graphics card, etc and I'm having the same problems. If you figure it out, please let me know. I've updated the drivers and everything else I can think of. I thought it was Vista, but I have another laptop that works fine with Vista. If anyone figures it out, please let me know! I'm betting it's just an incompatibility with the graphics card.

13. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

14. macl504

macl504 New Member

Just thought I'd update. :) I did some more digging around (lots actually) and found a page from the official website which listed all the compatible graphics cards, it went on to say that if your card is NOT listed then it is not compatible. Sorry to have to break the news, its very unfortunate because playing it like that really takes away from the game. :(