Troubleshooting Graphics

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by xxbabygrl9xx, Jul 8, 2005.

1. xxbabygrl9xx

xxbabygrl9xx the best and 1 and only

Graphics

in my sims 2 the graphics are'nt really the way thery are supposed to be. Also the special event camera won't let me click enable so itz really bugging me that it won't work. What should i do.

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Sounds like you need a beefier graphics card, hon. :ermm:

3. Randomzero

Randomzero New Member

Yeah, its probably your video card, if you feel like upgrading, hit run, type dxdiag, copy and paste your specs here and I might be able to give you the lowdown on what needs boosting (or if you might even need a overhaul).

4. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Are your video card drivers all up do date?

That's something you can do for free which sometimes helps.

What *is* your graphics card?

As others have mentioned, things like special event cameras and some of the graphics (like anti-aliasing) will be turned off if you don't have a top ability card. Some of the other things (ram and processor) can made some difference too.

5. xxbabygrl9xx

Time of this report: 7/13/2005, 23:09:27
    Machine name: YOUR-U3EF4OUUIR
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: eMachines
    System Model: Product Name
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 448MB RAM
    Page File: 248MB used, 810MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ah, sorry babe, you need to tell what was on the Display tab of that report as well. We're still in the dark concerning your graphic display device at the moment. One thing I will say is that so long as your puter isn't a laptop you have a good mchine that should run the game pretty good with a decent graphic card. I am suspecting that you don't have one installed because your computer's RAM memory is given at 448MB which is 64MB short of 512 (a normal average amount installed in machine such as yours). 64MB is the typical amount of RAM that is allotted to an integral display device (the clue is in the processor name all that stuff about MMX and 3DNow ...).

When choosing a graphcis card the choice is bewildering but you need to to remember that Maxis prime advice was, and remains, "the more memory the better" so my advice is not buy unless/until you can afford to get a card with 256MB memory.

Your choice will be dicated by the type of port your machine has for adding a card, eg AGP, PCIe, or PCI. It is quite possible to install a card yourself but frankly, unless you are confident and a bit adventurous, you'd be safer taking the machine to an expert (or getting an expert to attend to your machine) If you were in the UK I'd recommend going to http://www.yell.com and searching for computer maintenance in your town. I found 3 small businesses (2 operating from their homes) within 3 miles of my house. And there is one so close I could carry the machine there and that one didn't come up on the list of search results! Go figure. Failing that start with Yellow pages ....

7. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

first of all: from looking at the specs you already provided, you are pretty much sol since emachines and pretty much any "budget" system out there (ie. dell, gateway) rarely have agp slots. i know mine did, so i just went and got a new motherboard and video card and now ts2 runs very smooth and ive got all the extra features like the special event camera and reflections and whatnot

8. Randomzero

Randomzero New Member

You might also want to specify, if you know, what kind of Power Supply you have. The beefier cards siphon a lot more energy. I have an X-Connect Ultra 500 Watt PSU, and that'll handle SLI of the Geforce 7 series, however I'd you want a 350 watt if you want to get the minimum for today's GPUs.

9. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

i dont know. i had a 9250 running on a 100W psu. although it was only running a 733MHZ P3 with pretty much minimum specs, point remains: if your not going for super high end graphics, an average psu will work just fine.

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Like I said ... go to someone who knows what they're doing :p

11. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

like me :p

lol..jk ;)

We're still waiting for the display tab information :)

12. Randomzero

Randomzero New Member

or me :p

It took me roughly about 3 days of staring at www.mysuperpc.com to learn everything I needed to know about building computers.

13. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I read a slim book (less than 100 pp) back in 1990. In 2001 I finally got fed up with brand-name computers and bought a pile of bits and just winged my way thru it. To be honest it's a lot easier to build a PC than it is to make Lego model ....

14. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

My bro has always wanted to build a computer. Alas, all we have are Dell Dimensions. :eek:

15. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

I have a friend who's genius at it. He showed me how and made it look so easy ... oh to have an analytical mind. :p

16. Randomzero

Randomzero New Member

Once you get your hands into it, its a simplistic puzzle, which requires either very strong or small hands. Its also a great way to express yourself artistically, especially if you like to casemod like myself. (chrome custom fangrills, UV tinted windows, cold cathodes, LEDs on every heatsink, doors, etc.)

17. simsyth

simsyth *SIMS2 cool*

my "brothers" computer is a pentium 4
    windows Vista(new realease)
    3.5 gb of RAM(omfg my computer is no were near that)
    180 gb total hard disk space
    s-tech quie track disk drive(as if that matters)
    a really goooooooood gc(graphic card) and sound card
    and a flat wide screen 23 inch monitor......

beat that.

my computer

athlon(tm) windows xp professional plus(plus is advanced version)
    SP2(service pack 2
    341 ram
    40 gb total space
    a nice graphic and sound card
    20 inch monitor

18. xxbabygrl9xx

okay well very sorry every1 that i have not put on the info that u need but i 4got and i don't know what it is i am very sorry.

19. xxbabygrl9xx

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller (Microsoft Corporation)
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) 82810
    DAC type: Internal
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7125&SUBSYS_7148109F&REV_03
    Display Memory: 32.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (24 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: i81xdnt5.dll
    Driver Version: 6.13.0001.3198 (English)
    DDI Version: 8
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 8/4/2004 02:56:42, 702845 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: i81xnt5.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 8/4/2004 00:29:36, 161020 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-3265-11CF-517F-4951A1C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x8086
    Device ID: 0x7125
    SubSys ID: 0x7148109F
    Revision ID: 0x0003
    Revision ID: 0x0003
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
    Deinterlace Caps: n/a
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled
    DDraw Test Result: All tests were successful.
    D3D7 Test Result: All tests were successful.
    D3D8 Test Result: All tests were successful.
    D3D9 Test Result: All tests were successful.