SimCity 4 Hardware Rendering Issue With Vista

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by sykodelik, Mar 27, 2008.

1. sykodelik

sykodelik New Member

Hardware Rendering Issue With Vista

well first off a big thank you to judhudson for his help with this problem...but now it's gotten worse. the first problem i had which jud helped me figure out was my brand new video card wasn't up-to-date which caused a few similar problems. there were black squarish blobs in smoke from smokestacks after moving the screen at the edges, random negative colors when i had any type of zoning tool out, and almost a running together of colors in lines in the trees. besides that the game ran fine and if i zoomed in and out then it was fine...but i'd hafta do it everytime i moved the screen...i can run it fine with no problems (just not as nice to look at) using software rendering. the second and current problem i have now is after updating my video card i went back to the game to change the rendering back to hardware to see if it worked. the screen flashed black, back to desktop, then into the intro...something that hasn't happened before...i changed the setting, exited, and re-entered to find that my rendering had changed back to software :confused:...i tried 3 times before getting pissed off and consulting jud again...all he could do for me was have me start this thread and hope someone will come around and help me out...the important specs for my comp are as follows:
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 3/28/2008, 01:46:11
    Machine name: HOME-OFFICE
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.071023-1545)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Inspiron 530
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Page File: 974MB used, 3349MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode
    ------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.
    --------------------
    DirectX Debug Levels
    --------------------
    Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)
    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x94C3)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94C3&SUBSYS_32101545&REV_00
    Display Memory: 1012 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 245 MB
    Shared Memory: 767 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
    Driver Name: atidxx32.dll,atidxx64,atiumdag.dll,atiumdva.dat,atiumd64,atiumd6a,atitmm64
    Driver Version: 7.15.0010.0096 (English)
    DDI Version: 9Ex
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 2/25/2008 22:00:40, 1499136 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp:
    Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-D783-11CF-C274-1A12A1C2CA35}
    Vendor ID: 0x1002
    Device ID: 0x94C3
    SubSys ID: 0x32101545
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C
    Deinterlace Caps: {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {3C5323C1-6FB7-44F5-9081-056BF2EE449D}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled

i would appreciate any and all help thanks everyone :D

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

A few thoughts that may solve the problem

a) Get the 8.3 Catalyst Drivers from the AMD website (http://amd.com). If it groans and moans about them, get them from the Dell website. Note that dell tends to have outdated drivers.
    b) Set your game to Windows XP or Windows 98 under the compatibility mode tab.

3. sykodelik

sykodelik New Member

thanks for the input but i have the 8.3 catalyst and i've tried compatability...so i don't know beyond that what to do...

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Set Affinity to CPU 0?

5. sykodelik

sykodelik New Member

what is that and where would i find it?

6. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Start the game, alt + tab out of it, open task manager (ctrl + alt + del, then task manager) find the simcity4.exe (something like that, might be sc4.exe?), right click it and select 'Set Affinity' then untick 'CPU 1'.

Not sure if any of this is changed in Vista or if there is some config file that is in the game directories, I might install SC4 again later and check this our for ya.

7. sykodelik

sykodelik New Member

i'll check it out and let ya know what happens...

8. sykodelik

sykodelik New Member

i tried it and the only thing it did was make it so i can't scroll the screen now when i move the mouse to the edge...what exactly is changing the affinity supposed to do?

9. Flameback777

It changes what CPU or CPU core the process is allowed to execute on I believe.

I'm guessing the game is changing back to software rendering due to the fact that it can't find that card on it's list of video cards. I'ld rather not mess around with those configuration files but we can have a look at another file.

Open C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\ and make a backup of the file called 'Graphics Rules.sgr', just copy the file somewhere you will remember if something goes wrong, then open the original file in the SC4 folder. Windows should say something about not being able to open the file, not sure how it works in Vista, but tell it to open the file in notepad.

Make sure you have created your backup before the next part!
    After the first row of #s and before the second row of #s you will see a line such as:

set Software 1
    set Hardware 0

Change the 1 and the 0 so it looks like this:

set Software 0
    set Hardware 1

Save and exit the file. You may want to try setting that file to read-only also so the game cannot overwrite it.

If it doesn't work then you may just have to live without the extra graphics as there is not much more you can do. :(

10. sykodelik

sykodelik New Member

i went in and checked it first before i changed anything and the funny thing is that it was already set up that way...but if that's true then how come it's constantly on software and unable to change? i will try the read-only to see if that helps...

11. sykodelik

sykodelik New Member

i checked the file and it was set for read-only before i changed it...so it was already set to hardware and unable to change in the first place...what i did find out though was in the Video Cards.sgr that my card isn't listed in there...what can i do to change that?
    another question quick...i was dumb and went too fast through the screen to open up the Video Cards.sgr file and forgot to uncheck the "always use" button and now they all have a little notepad icon...i did this once a very long time ago and couldn't ever figure out how to change it back...is there any way to or am i screwed now?

12. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

13. sykodelik

sykodelik New Member

thanks man...any thoughts jud on what i can do about my card not being listed in the Video Cards.sgr file like just plopping it in there or anything?

14. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

Sadly I never was much an editor on the SimCity scene...I really wish I could help but I just don't know what to recommend :(

15. Flameback777

The game seems like it is changing the option when it loads.
    'Video Cards.sgr' is the conf file I didn't want to mess around in as I don't know what everything means in that file. My card isn't listed in that file yet the game uses hardware rendering just fine so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Have you tried a search of the forums over at SimTropolis? I'm sure I've heard of this problem before but it was ages ago.

16. sykodelik

sykodelik New Member

i did a search and found there was a thread about a previous problem i had where my hardware settings did work but there were streaky patches in smoke and water as well as the highlighter for the zoning tool giving a negative of the color in those same patches...i put in my info and said what problem im having now...hopefully i can figure this out through you guys (cuz you rock hard!) or simtropolis (who is almost as cool)...i really appreciate all the help you guys have given me...hope to hear somethin soon...

17. sykodelik

sykodelik New Member

alright well...it seems i may have stumbled back into my original problem...i got the hardware settings working again...i changed all of my catalyst options to the lowest possible or application controlled and it fixed it...but now i'm back to where i was with all that crap i put in the last post...*** do i do?

18. sykodelik

sykodelik New Member

check this out...i was reading the graphics rules.sgr file and all the way at the bottom of the file i find this (taken directly from file:(
    # The Radeon series has a very slow path for partial
    # depth buffer copies. This has apparently been
    # fixed for 9500 and later models in the latest drivers,
    # but cannot be fixed on previous Radeons because of
    # hardware limitations.
    # NOTE: disabling this rule unnecessarily may lead to
    # very poor graphics performance.
    partialRule "Radeon"
    stringMatch cardIdentity "*Radeon*"

partialRule "SlowSubrectDepthCopy" -any
    stringMatch cardIdentity "*7?00*"
    stringMatch cardIdentity "*8?00*"
    stringMatch cardIdentity "*9000*"
    stringMatch cardIdentity "*9100*"
    stringMatch cardIdentity "*9200*"
    stringMatch cardIdentity "*9300*"
    stringMatch cardIdentity "*9400*"
    stringMatch cardIdentity "ATI, Radeon"
    stringMatch cardIdentity "ATI, Radeon VE"
    stringMatch cardIdentity "ATI, Radeon Mobility"
    stringMatch cardIdentity "ATI, Radeon FireGL"

# results in special low-impact scrolling mode.
    property noPartialBackingStoreCopies true

# try to reduce the number of dirty rects.
    property dirtyRectMergeFrames 8

# use black and white cursors. The Radeons seem
    # to work with colour for a while, but in low
    # memory situations revert to flickering.
    option $Cursor $CursorBW

19. Flameback777

From what I have found out SC4 doesn't seem to like the Radeon cards.

I use nvidia so I can't see what the catalyst control panel can do but have it set to application controlled like you did. This allows hardware rendering to work but you still have the patches and such in smoke right?

I'll keep looking into it and hopefully we can solve this. :)

20. cedars

cedars New Member

Hi,

I am fairly sure I am having the same problem as sykodelik. Like sykodelik I get distortion in puffs of smoke, roads before they are placed and transparent zoning. Also like syodelik I have just installed Vista (Home Premium) with DirectX 10 (all security updates; but no other updates) and I am playing the vanilla flavour of Sim City 4 with no mods patched to the latest version. I am on an iMac running Vista and have the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics card. (I also have an Intel Core 2 DUO chipset @ 2.4 GHz with 1 GB RAM).

I've posted picture of the problem at:

http://members.dodo.com.au/~pazolli/simdistort.jpg

It seems to me like background textures are bleeding through the transparent textures. Like sykodelik, the problem only occurs for me with hardware rendering enabled.

I am very interested in solving this problem as Sim City 4 was one of the reasons I installed Windows. I am interested if this is the same problem you are experiencing sykodelik?

Also the Radeon text you pulled out of the "Graphics Rules.sgr" file is explained in the Sim City FAQ at:

http://simcity.ea.com/help/faq.php

So far I believe this is a separate ATI Radeon 2xxx/Windows Vista/DirectX 10/Sim City 4 issue.

Please let me know if you find a solution.

Cedars.