Having Problems with skins on Sims

Discussion in 'The Sims 1' started by littlemistresspixie, Jan 6, 2003.

1. littlemistresspixie

littlemistresspixie New Member

Having Problems with skins on Sims

I downloaded a few skins and objects from some different sites, and most of them work alright, but there was a female head that I downloaded and some female clothes that crash my game and dump me back onto my desktop. I'm not sure which heads or which clothes they are, but is there any way I can find out which ones, and how to fix it? I've already run Norton Anti-Virus on my computer and no viruses have been found in any of my Sims folders.

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

the stuff you downloaded are corrupt. Use Sims File Cop to clean them out

get it at http://www.thesims.com under get cool stuff, make cool stuff

3. littlemistresspixie

oooooooo, I have Sim File Cop, but I didn't even think to use it!!
    Thank you very much!!!

4. littlemistresspixie

I tried Sims File Cop, but it didn't find any corrupt files, and I'm still having the same problem.

5. ManagerJosh

Uninstall what you recently added in.

6. littlemistresspixie

But I'm not quite sure what I added in and what was already there. My computer has problems with displaying thumbnails when I go to my computer folder

7. ManagerJosh

don't display thumbnails. Just right click and select arrange by date. You'll be able to see which items you added most recently for it will be some of the first items you have.

8. littlemistresspixie

ahhhhhh, ok then :)

9. littlemistresspixie

They all have different dates, like one file I know I downloaded recently said it was downloaded in May of 2001

10. ManagerJosh

the newest ones are the ones you are looking for.
    So stuff in 2003 is the stuff you want to get rid of (unless you added expansions)

11. littlemistresspixie

I know, but the stuff I know Idownloaded a week ago is saying that I downloaded it ove a year ago

12. ManagerJosh

then most likely those files are really outdated.

13. littlemistresspixie

Alright, thanks, I'll try some other things to get rid of them, but I'm not too hopeful

14. littlemistresspixie

I just have a question, what is a CFP file?

15. ManagerJosh

It sounds like a skin file...i'm not sure.

Where is it?

16. alapokeygirl

alapokeygirl Very much in LOVE

Pixie, try this program for your skins. Elisims www.elandnews.com/elisims It goes through your skins and makes sure that you have all three parts to the skin, which are: .bmp, .cmx, and .skn files. It will show you anything that is missing. If I remember correctly, a cfp file is an animation file for a hacked object such as the treadmill, rideable ponies and things like that. Hope this helps.

17. littlemistresspixie

Thank you very much for your help, I'll keep trying to figure out what files are corrupt :)

18. alapokeygirl

Good luck. Let us know how it went. :classic:

19. littlemistresspixie

Alright, I've gone through all my files, checked them out, but I still can't find the problem skins and heads

20. alapokeygirl

This is the hard and long way to do it, but you should be able to find the offending head and skins. Remove all of your downloaded heads and skins and put them into another file. Now, take five at a time and add them back into the game and see how the game runs. If all is ok, add five more and do the same thing. Do this until you find a batch that causes the problem. Now, remove them and add them back in one at a time and the bad one will be easy to find. I know this is a lot of work, I have had to do this same thing once before. Hope this finds your problem and you can run your game once again.