Troubleshooting Help, can't move Sims back from the University

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by lizzy_a_g, Jul 7, 2005.

1. lizzy_a_g

lizzy_a_g New Member

Help, can't move Sims back from the University

Something is keeping my sims from being able to move home once they have graduated college. After they have their graduation party, the visitors leave and there is a the message stating that the party was a success. Then the sim goes through the age transition to an adult, the taxi never comes, and the save and quit buttons are grayed out. I've tried moving them to dorms or other houses, and it was unsuccsessful. I have about 30 students at college and this would be a disaster if this couldn't get fixed. Can you please help me? I'm sorry if this has been in the forum before but I've searched two days and not found anything else on it.

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I had this happen. But it was cured by moving all the sims out of the affected house and into different ones. Luckily that cured the problem because the next stage would have been to demolish the original house, which I did not want to do.

Try again. But this make sure to get all the sims out of the problem house. If possible utterly demolish it. That should clear the blockage. If not come back and together we'll explore the esoteric delights of the boolprop cheats :p

3. lizzy_a_g

lizzy_a_g New Member

I went and moved all the active sims i currently had moved in to houses/dorms

and deleted 4 houses and 1 dorm. Went and moved the sims to a new lot

and skipped the party since ive had like 18 in the last 24 hour :rolleyes: he called a cab to move back to Pleasantville went through the age transition to adult and no taxi

save was grayed out and i had to ctrl-alt-delete out of my game again!!

4. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

That is really weird. You might try starting a different university and moving the sims to that one, just as a test. It could be that the one you've got is cursed.

You may need to reinstall university ... but maybe someone else has a less drastic solution?

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Oh don't try anything too drastic. The newly graduated will go home eventually. Your next step, Lizzy, is to try this:

1. Make sure you have removed all possible downloaded modifications but going into My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/ and find the folder named "Downloads" Drag that folder out of the window and drop it on the desktop then ...
    2. Start game and in the university neighborhood move the stuck out of wherever he/she is and into any spare dorm or house that has no other sims in it.
    3. Load that house and see if the sim will now go back home ... keep fingers crossed ;)
    Afterwards you can drag your downloads folder back into its original palce but first you mat wish to screen it for the problem content ...

6. lizzy_a_g

lizzy_a_g New Member

Thank for all the help this is so frustrating!!

I moved the downloads folder and all custom content

But still didnt work. If only I could save I could fix it

Any other ideas??:confused:

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hmph! It's time we nuked this!

We need to try the boolprop thing.

Open the cheat box: [Ctrl] + [Shift] + [C]

The type in: boolprop testingcheatsenabled true (Note where the two spaces go! If you get it wrong the cheat box will get a bit larger with error messages ... don't worry about that try again until you get it right. [Esc] will make the white cheat box go away.

Once you've set the testing cheats ... :)

Go the mailbox in the street and hold down [Shift] and clcik on the mailbox and you get a big pie menu of options.

Pick the one about Object Interaction Error and when the new options open up click the Reset button. (You might have to do this more than once! If that doesn't work click the Delete button ... that physically deletes the problem from the game!

If you end up deleting a sim don't panic he will still be there when you reload the game ... just push away at it until you can get your save options back.

Keeps fingers crossed ... :)

8. lizzy_a_g

lizzy_a_g New Member

Well I did the boolprop thing, im familiar with it. I did every thing you told me too and ended up having to delete him. But no matter what I did I could not get the save option back looks like Im back a square one once again!!:rolleyes:

9. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

If he has grown up, as you say perhaps this might work ...

Put him in a campus house with a phone and go back to the 'hood and load up a family that he would move in with and then invite him over, schooze him up to make him well happy and then see if you get a Propose >> Move In option.

I was able to invite over my stuck sim but couldn't get the move in option because he hadn't actually age transitioned.

Fingers aching from being crossed so long :(

10. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Just out of curosity Lizzy, do you have a downloaded version of the game?

11. lizzy_a_g

lizzy_a_g New Member

Mirelly, As soon as he hits the age transition right after he calls to move back

thats when the save goes away! So he would not even be an adult because i cant save.

Manager Josh,

I bought my game with my hard earned money ;)

but i know you had to ask. I been lurking around for a long while

yall help someone for days only to find out its downloaded :rolleyes:

12. lizzy_a_g

lizzy_a_g New Member

So what now, any ideas?

13. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

No, Lizzy, dear. I'm sorry to say that I am now all out of ideas.

You can try getting Pescado's lot debugger http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimforum/showthread.php?t=1006 (of course it comes with health warnings and although I have it I've not actually used it in anger so I can't say if it even applies. Pescado hasn't put in his own two pennyworth so maybe it won't help ... but then maybe he hasn't read this thread.)

Basically, kid, you're now in that sad and lonely place called "on ya own". Every now and the some poor so-and-so gets nominated to go out in the leaky boat and try to find a way out of a problem ... we just hope that you'll send us a post card if you get away! ;) (I am admitting defeat here. It doesn't make me good and it certainly doesn't make me feel clever. But when this sort of thing occurs the best solution is always the most obvious. Move the affected sims out of the affected house. Then destroy the house. Then look in the sim bin and (gritting your teeth) delete the one (or ones) that will not fall under control. Bite the bullet, in other words. It is just a game and I have lost my own share of stuff on several occasions. The thing to do is to get over it and move on. Cos even if you fix it there is no guarantee that the problem will not store up greater hassle further down the line.

Sorry I cannot be more comfort. :(

14. lizzy_a_g

lizzy_a_g New Member

Well i was on that leaky boat and i found land!!!!! I downloaded the lot fixer and after the age transition i clicked on the re-enable
    controls and got my save back!! Thanks for all the help mirelly!!

and J.M. for the lot fixer!!! Im off to graduate about 3 dozen Sims lol

15. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Way to go Lizzy! :D