Troubleshooting Help me please with stairs

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Lauren D, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Lauren D

Lauren D New Member

Help me please with stairs

Stairs in build mode are the most frustrating thing ever, and I can't figure out whether there is a bug, or whether I'm just missing something. I can never figure out why you can put a solid staircase in one location, but not the next. It seems to be very inconsistent. And the other stairs tool just makes me want to pull my hair out.

My latest problem is that I get a comment "cannot reserve space above stairs". I don't know what the hell it is complaining about when I can't figure out what is wrong with the location. I allow plenty of space for both landings, and allow the right amount of empty tiles above, and to no avail. It appears green when I initially move over the location I want, but as soon as I try to put it down it complains. The funny thing is that there was a staircase there to start with, and I removed it cos I wanted a different style, so I don't get why I can't place one where there was already. I have had numerous problems with this.

Please can someone help me.

Thanks so much,
    Lauren

2. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

The stair tool is very fussy and will often demand you shred large holes in the walls and floors all around for no apparent reason. The best way to deal with this is to try again with "move_objects on" enabled. That should usually suppress the random errors.

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Further to JMP's reply I have found that even with moveobjects connecting stairs do not like being crossed by a wall or railings at the fourth square from the top landing, nor land by a door on the lower floor. The only solution I have found is to remove the affected wall/railing and replace it after. But as Pescado says, this is a pain.

4. Lynet

Lynet New Member

It's true. A wall or railing will cause the stair to object to being placed even when you have the correct number of spaces open on the upper floor. I always have to remove walls or railings and then put them back once the stair is in place. (Yeah, like Mirelly said...:eek: )

5. Lauren D

Lauren D New Member

Thanks for that. I will try it and see what happens.