How Do I Help with birthday?!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Jiko, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Jiko

Jiko Lab Specimen Collector

Help with birthday?!

Every once in a while, when a baby is about to be a toddler, one of the family members becomes absolutely obsessed with this. They continually get the action "help with birthday" and refuse to sleep, eat or go to the bathroom - repeatedly stopping in their tracks to go pick up the baby and "help with birthday." Then they stand there holding the baby FOREVER! It's odd. Usually it's only one member of the family (seems to be the teenager if there is one) and it doesn't always happen, and in fact I've never had a baby turn into a child at that time! Today I had to send a teen off to school hungry, tired and bored because he had spent most of an entire night rushing back to the crib to "help with birthday."

Has this happened to anyone else? What is the poor hapless big brother to do?

2. ruggie

ruggie New Member

Wow i've never had that happen to me. That would be intersing to see well the first time after that i'd get a bit pissed.

3. Ace

Ace New Member

I had this happen to me once. It took 3 days before the baby transitioned to a toddler. I had to use cheats just to keep his older brother alive. I don't know why it happened either. All I could think of was I had the aging off and then turned it back on right before his birthday. Normally a baby remains in the baby stage of life for 3 days before transitioning into a toddler. I think somehow having the aging off before messed things up and he ended up spending another 3 days as an infant once I turned the aging back on with his poor older brother trying to help with birthday almost the entire time. All you can do is wait it out.

4. Jiko

I've never had the aging off, and in fact received the message saying the baby would grow up in a day. Then the baby doesn't grow up. In the past when this happened the baby ended up taking an extra day or two, then suddenly sprouted. That's what made me think there was something the poor guy had to do to "help."

5. Ace

Ace New Member

I received the message the baby would grow up in a day too and he didn't. As far as I know holding the baby is all they do to help. I was just guessing it had something to do with the aging on-aging off cheat. I really don't know why it happened. I asked people here and no one else seemed to know either. They had never had that happen to them. I was so relieved when he finally transitioned. I thought he was stuck permanently.

6. Brahbech

Brahbech New Member

One solution might involve a birthday cake on a end table. The baby probably grows up when brought to the cake.

Best regards,
    Boerge

7. Ace

Ace New Member

That doesn't work. Already tried it.

8. Jiko

Yikes, it's turned into a real crisis. Now every member of the family is interrupting all their activities to hold the baby and "help with birthday." They just stand there. The nanny seemed to go into a kind of seizure for the longest while, watching the mom hold the baby - for hours! I tried a cake, and a party. No luck. The baby is 6 days old now and it feels like it did when I had a real baby - enough! I've never turned "aging off." I don't know how, anyway. I've never done any cheats or a single download. The game's on a computer that is not wired to the net, so no virus.

It's not enough to say things to me like 'use the xr-boolprop-dotcom' or "George's famous painting whatever" as it means no more to me than aromatase inhibitor, SIADH and pancytopenia do when I say them to you (I'd be curious if anyone knows the field in which I work from these terms).

So could someone please tell me in simple English how to fix this problem? Thanks ever so much.

9. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

I would suggest moving the Sims out and moving them either back in or to a different house and see how that works...:confused:

10. Jiko

I would rather not move them, as I wouldn't be able to afford to buy their custom-built home again, and I'd lose the massive quantities of simoleans they've built up (and all their groovy stuff). I don't want to just starve the thing and then let the social worker take the little tyke away because then we can't adopt again. (If I do that, as a last resort, does it affect the children's future right to adoption, or just the parents'?)

It's getting critical, though - everyone is miserably tired and hungry and flunking out of school, deep in the red, for lack of focus and sleep. Help with birthday help with birthday help with birthday

11. sailorchiiavalon

sailorchiiavalon Addicted to Sims 2!

best thing to do would use Boolprop. I get problems like this on my game and its usually the teenager who turns the baby into a toddler.

Try boolprop testingcheatsenabled true and spawn the tombstone of L and D.

On that, there should be an option for aging the baby. Try that. It usually works on my game.
    If not, then cancel the action everytime it comes up.

12. latmere1

latmere1 Blah Blah

when it says that the sims will grow up in ??? days, they usually grow up in about 3 days otherwise your sims would be born and died and old man/woman in about 3 hours.

13. Jiko

14. Jiko

And I really don't get this! I know that 3 Sims days is not the same as mine. And how does this crazy quote function work, anyway?

15. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

I had the same problem before I started buying cakes for babies, though it never got so extreme as yours. I always buy birthday cakes now, and they always work, not sure why it's not working for you, but you might want to try again. I once had to buy two cakes for the same baby.

Another solution is to have the "help with birthday" person put the baby in the crib and let someone else do it. Make sure you control the obsessed teen so they don't wander back to the crib. You might want to try having someone leave the lot and then come back, might reset the house, just a thought.

Also, if the baby needs anything: diaper change, bottle, it won't change into a toddler.

But if nothing else works you're going to have to move out ...

16. sailorchiiavalon

sailorchiiavalon Addicted to Sims 2!

Sorry, I'm not good at indepth explanations.

When you type in ctrl shift and c for the normal cheats, you type in boolprop testingcheatsenabled true.

When that's typed in, you click on a sim and click spawn then tombstone of l and d. A tombstone appears near that sim and you click on it until you find the option to Age Baby. Click your babies name and they usually age within a few hours. When you're done, delete the tombstone and type in boolprop testingcheatsenabled false to turn the cheat off.

If that doesn't work then try the birthday cake idea.

17. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

This happened to me a couple of times. The baby is bugged. Well, actually, the birthday transition is bugged. LOL

This last time it happened I used the boolprop cheat too, and the baby grew up fine. But make sure that you do not leave the lot like that!! After the baby transitions okay, then undo the cheat by typing shift+control+c, then boolprop testingcheatsenabled false.

18. Jiko

Okay, today's the day. I'll try my first cheat. We always eventually find a need to compromise our ideals, don't we? The action appears for the teenager every few minutes, waking him up, disrupting meals. If I cancel the action, it returns in a few minutes. So I'll first try having everyone leave the lot to go shopping, and then see if that works. Another birthday cake. And then cheat. Or fix what is broken, depends on your perspective.

19. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Um, not everyone can leave the lot, right? Someone needs to stay home with the baby or you'll have a visit from the social worker ... I don't even know if that idea would work. It just sounds like you've tried everything else ...

20. Jiko

I meant to have the whole family go including baby, but in the end just sent the mom. She's in a terrible mood, though. Anyway - SCORE! I don't know what finally worked. Just as I was typing in the cheat code, baby grew up! Honest. Like she knew what was about to happen. The way my dog won't come until he sees that look in my eye. And the little tyke (named Takai, which means "expensive" and "high" and "tall" in Japanese) is such a cute little thing.

Gee, no one guessed my job.