Troubleshooting Help with Graphics Cards. (ManagerJosh sent me)

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by simplekindolife, Jan 9, 2004.

1. simplekindolife

simplekindolife New Member

Help with Graphics Cards. (ManagerJosh sent me)

I've been driving myself insane with endless research on requirements reguaring the Sims 2. I realize there are different types of Graphics Cards, yet I do not know how to find out what would be compatible with my computer. I have no idea what acronyms such as ATI, PNY, or AGP mean.
    Would anyone care to help me?

I have a Gateway computer. It is Windows ME, 4.90.3000. It is around two and a half - three years old.

I am learning daily about Graphic Cards and RAM and such, yet I am the only member of my family that's even acquired a bit of technical knowledge through our nine years of owning computers. No one is here to teach me, so I am very, very happy to find a place to help me with my needs.

Thank you very, very much in advance.

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Could you post what gateway model you have?

Also, post any specs you can dig up...eg Video Card, how much memory you have, and CPU

you can do this by going to start > run > type dxdiag and click enter.

3. simplekindolife

I am unsure what model I have. How do I find out?

My current video card is Intel (r) 82815 Graphics Controller.

I have 128 MB of RAM, but I am updating as soon as I find out what type of RAM my computer is compatible with.

I have an Intel Pentium III.. ~930.

4. ManagerJosh

Check the back of your computer. Usually a manual would also help as well :)

5. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

hmm. i know what kind of coputer youre talking about but i dont remember the model. my best advice is upgrade that memory to atleast a 512 and hope for the best. cuz most of the time all of the lowend gateway computers you cant upgrade the video or the proccessor. proccessor may be a possibility but id check to see if your able to remove it or not.

6. simplekindolife

Okay, checked the back of my computer. Under 'MODEL NO' it reads:

ATXSTF FED Performance 933

I hope that helps..

I really hope it's upgradeable.. I must get a new video card..

7. ManagerJosh

I'm having a very difficult time located specs on this Unit.

Try calling this number and see if they can answer whether your memory is expandable to 512MB and whether you have an AGP Slot.

8. simplekindolife

Okay, I went to gateway.com, and found my information.

My motherboard supports only PC133 SDRAM memory. I have two DIMM sockets supporting up to two 168-pin SDR SDR RAM dual inline memory modules (DIMMS) with gold plated contacts. I can have anywhere from 32MB to 2.0GB of RAM.

That is all Greek to me. I don't understand a tiny bit of it.. :confused:

How would I go about figuring out what kind of video card my computer will support? Id there a website I can go to to find this information? Gateway's search engine is so sloppy.

Really, I am very greatful for your patience and help.

9. ManagerJosh

10. simplekindolife

Thank you very much. :)

11. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

are you absolutely sure about that? cuz i looked up your model on curcial.com and they said your max was 512MB. havent been able to find that model yet on the gateway site, but im digging up extra specs here.

12. simplekindolife

Thank you.

I doubt it can hold up to 2GB, too. I can't afford more than 512, anyway, really. I'll be spending most of my money on the video card.

13. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

ok. other basic specs are a 933MHZ P3, 20GB HD, a DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo.

im not so sure about the grpahics card at this point as some sites state it has intel graphics and others says it has nVidia graphics. and if its the nvidia one, it is almost for sure a removable agp card as our computers at school are the exact same thing.

go here and download the ts2 system requirements checker. run that programd and tell us what it lists as the graphics card.

14. simplekindolife

I called the phone number that ManagerJosh gave me, and the Gateway Assistant told me that my computer will support any AGP card, and that she recommends Radeon 9800 Pro.

I guess I should start saving my money.

Thank you very much. Should I have to really worry about any specs?

15. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

i would go in and use that system reuiqrements checker anyays and report what it says to us just for reference. but as it stands, you should be just fine if you get a radeon and upgrade that memory to 512.

p.s. either try to get a copy of windows 98 or windows 2000. i dont recommend windows me at all. very unstable.

16. TaiGuy

TaiGuy New Member

I doubt you need the all-so-powerful radeon 9800, try settling for a 9600 or so.