Help!

Discussion in 'The Sims 1' started by serenafan, Jan 12, 2002.

1. serenafan

serenafan New Member

Help!

I just bought a new computer and my Sims works in it. But when I go to create a new family, i return to the desktop. Does anybody know why that happens???

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Re: Help!

Serena, I suspect something didn't copy properly. I advise you to do this.

1) Uninstall The Sims
    2) Restart Your Computer
    3) Install The Sims.

This should fix your problem.

3. serenafan

serenafan New Member

Help!

I did what you said but it still doesn't work!!
    I uninstalled the game twice and restarted my computer both times. I reinstalled it and it didn't work!!

I then put it in my old computer and the same thing happened!!

Can anybody HELP me?

4. ManagerJosh

Re: Help!

Which Operating System are you Using? If you are using Windows XP, there is an extra procedure you will need to go through

5. serenafan

serenafan New Member

I am using Windows 98 .

6. ManagerJosh

Do you have any other maxis games??

7. serenafan

serenafan New Member

I only have the Sims installed right now because of the problems. I also have Living Large,House Party and Hot Date. Other those are the only Maxis Made Games I have!

8. ManagerJosh

HI Serena

This is what I recommend you do:

First, uninstall your sims game. If you have played already, copy the userdata folder, and move it to your desktop.

Be careful in this section
    Next, goto Start > Run > Type: regedit and Click Okay

Now Click Edit > Click Find. Search for Maxis. and click enter. Now delete anything that has Maxis in it.

Once finished cleaning the registry, exit it and restart your computer.

After restarting your computer, install The Sims, then Living Large, then House Party, Then Hot Date. Your game should be in working order.

9. serenafan

serenafan New Member

Josh,
    Thanks for giving me that option. I tred it wice and still nothing, I can't create families. I don't know what to do! I deleted all of my downloads from here and Sims.com. I also deleted all of the clothes,walls,tiles,floors and everything. I reinstalled the game and know I have everything back except for the downloads and I still can not make a family!

10. ManagerJosh

:eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :confused:

Very intresting. I'm out of options. I recommend you try these two:

1) The Sims.com Chat Rooms

2) Call Tech Support

Sorry if I couldn't help any more than I could

11. serenafan

serenafan New Member

Josh,
    Thank you for all of your suggestions. I went to the Sims Chat Room, and they told me to go to www.simplus.com and download a file checker from there. I did and I 'm very HAPPY to say that it worked and that I now can create a family again!

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

12. crazyirishchick121

crazyirishchick121 New Member

Help.

The Sims has had problems like this since it came out. There are a number of ways to fix it. If you Contact Tech Support via e-mail then they will help you within 48 hours. It usually is a problem with your soundcard. You will need to either update the driver, change drivers or just create a shortcut and turn the sound off via the shortcut. My Sims worked just fine until I got "unleashed" Now I have to operate without sound.:bunny:

13. ManagerJosh

14. crazyirishchick121

But XP comes with directx and I've updated it. I still can't use my unleashed with sound. The tech support line is stumped. Any sugestions?

15. ManagerJosh

You could try setting the game to compatiblity mode...

Open Up My Computer
    Double Click "C"
    Double Click "Program Files"
    Double Click "Maxis"
    Double Click "The Sims"
    RIGHT CLICK sims.exe

Select Tab, compatiblity
    Select from the drop down menu Windows 98/ME

Click Apply
    Click Okay
    Have fun with the game :)

16. crazyirishchick121

So, I guess not having the sims.exe file is a bad thing?? Cos it's not there. Anywhere else?? Pleeeaaassss.

17. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

ummm... if you don't have an .exe file in your The Sims folder, that means you don't have the GAME!!????? Can you find the Program Files folder, and does THAT folder have a Maxis folder? Open the Maxis folder if you can find that, and look for ANYTHING with ".exe" at the end of it! Try what Josh suggests on any .exe file you find in the Maxis folder.... You SHOULD be able to find thesims.exe in there!!!!

18. crazyirishchick121

I found one sims.exe file. But no compatibility tab. However, there was a compatibility tab in the shortcut. I did what you suggested and now it won't play at all. I'm starting to think I'll never play with sound again.

19. ManagerJosh

that's unusual......there is suppose to be a tab on sims.exe

Anyhow undo those changes I gave you and set it back to no compatibility.

20. crazyirishchick121

Okay. Thanks for trying Josh.