Troubleshooting How do i change my AA to x8?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Chillice, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Chillice

Chillice New Member

How do i change my AA to x8?

I am really confused on what the AA is ? and how do you change it to x8

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Can you tell us what you're trying to do? AA could be anything ...

3. Chillice

Chillice New Member

Well in another thread i read

Well in a the thread that i read about the pictures not showing up SimGuy sed make sure your AA is set to x8 for best visuals. i have the same problems but i dont what it is and how to do it.:(

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Not at WorldSims you didn't. We have three members with SimGuy as part of their username and none of them have ever posted anything.

Like I said: what are you trying to do?

Please take the time describe the problem(s) you have in enough detail to make sense ... a good way to do this is top get someone else to read your message and then ask them what they think you need help with.

We would also need to know what sort of computer you have. For example a dxdiag report would be good .... see the FAQ's (see the link in my signature).

5. dangerousgem

dangerousgem New Member

6. Chillice

Chillice New Member

Ok well...

Ok well when i make my sims go into a photobooth and take a picture, the picture does not show up , a random thing comes up instead like a cooker or a toilet. Also when i make my families they do not appear in the blue box afterward it is a half broken up picture of the last person i made.

My computer is:
    Windows XP home edition
    version 2002
    service pack 2
    Advent 3000 series
    intel [R]
    Pentium 4 CPU 2.53 GHz
    2.52GHz
    512MB of RAM

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

First off ... go to

My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\

At the bottom of the list of folders are some files:

• Accessory.cache
    • cigen
    • ContentRegistry
    • Groups.cache
    Now don't be scared ... delete them (deleting cigen is optional, but you might as well ... think of it as spring cleaning ;) ). The game needs them to speed things up but if it can't find them it is forced to make itself new ones. This is the easiest way to fix those files if they're broken.

Accessory.cache, ContentRegistry, & Groups.cache are rebuilt when the game is next launched.

cigen is a large package file created by Body Shop and it won't get built until you next launch it (Body Shop)

OK that's phase one done .... ;)

PHASE 2 .... :rolleyes:

Have you downloaded anything for the game from the internet. This includes houses and sims from the Maxis Sims 2 exchange as well as any fansite? If so take a firm grip of your Downloads folder and drag it out of My Documents\Ea Games\The Sims 2\ and plop it on your desktop.

That's sorted out phase 2.

You now have a game with no unwittingly installed hacks or mods and no corrupted cache files.

Try the game out. If that doesn't fix it you might need to consider more serious measures.

8. Chillice

Chillice New Member

I dont have a content registery file! Is this a bad thing?:confused: :(

9. mr.music

mr.music Need a DJ?

Just use the graphic setting options im sure this is how you do it

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

If you haven't downloaded anything then probably you won't have one. The game makes the files it needs.

Your problem is not related graphics settings. Those affect performance of the game (speed, jerkiness, stop-starting, lock-ups etc)

The icons and in-game created images that are used in speech balloons family trees, anywhere a sim needs his pic to show up are generated partly on the fly and partly from a cache. Deleting the caches force the game remake them and that clears up all sorts of problems.

I've had a few similar (but less severe) problems since I got Pets. Chili ... what expansions you got?

11. Chillice

Chillice New Member

Iv got University, Nightlife, Open for business, Pets and i geting sim2 seasonsnext week.

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

So did the deletion of the cache files fix it? (By 'eck this is like drawing teeth ... gosh, that's a dumb thing to say. Pulling teeth out isn't difficult with the right tools :rolleyes: )

13. Chillice

Chillice New Member

:D Thank you so muck it worked, but i have anouther problem. My game keeps freezing. :(

14. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

If you don't have any of the 4 things mentioned, that's ok. The point is that if you *do* have them, it's a good idea to delete them if you're having problems.

15. Chillice

Chillice New Member

But why does my game keep freezing?:(

16. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

That'll be because your display device is choking on the load.

Run dxdiag again and report what your display device is called, how much video memory it has, and the date of the driver (the info is on the display tab of the dxdiag report).

If you can't upgrade the best way to improve performance is to reduce the graphics options on the game options menu and also concentrate on playing generally smaller lots.

17. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

There are a lot of things that can cause that.

If you have played for a while, it will freeze if you haven't saved recently enough, even if you have a lot of RAM, but especially if you have less than 1gb of RAM. (If you have only 512mb of RAM then you should be saving every 10 minutes of time played. If you've had any parties, the head master, etc, save before and after them. If you have Pets, then save before nightfall even if you've saved recently, as the pets coming onto the lots "stress" the CPU and RAM.)

If you have been playing more than once a week, you should be defragging your harddrive at least once. The more you play, the more the drive will fragment, which makes it harder and harder for the game to find what it needs. And unlike school or business programs, it won't tell you when it needs to be defragged. Basically, you should defrag at least once for every 8 hours that you've played. (The Maxis folks defrag their computers *every* day no matter what. It can make a real difference!)

Make sure you have all background stuff like the internet, virus protection (making sure to turn it back on *before* you go back onto the internet), mail programs, browsers, art programs or anything else.) That helps prevent freezing from something starting up that you aren't aware of. Anything running in the background can slow down what your computer can do.

I didn't see what EPs you're running, but most of the EPs have things that can slow things to a freeze. Parties often freeze things when they have the guests arrive on the lot. Appearance of strays, the werewolf, the skunk or other things of that sort can cause a freeze. Going to a class or a final (and returning) can cause some freezing. The more you have going on, the more likely it is to freeze, especially if you don't have a top notch system (which seems to be your case.)

Remember that performance can also be frozen if you have your options turned up from what the default is for your computer. If you've made it so that you can see neighbors (with EPs) or have higher resolution or allow more guests, then freezing is more likely.

This is not a complete list. Others may add more.

18. Chillice

Chillice New Member

i have directx 9.0c but it doesnt tell me how much video memory it has.:confused:

19. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

You know what's worrying is that I am losing the will to live ... :(

Attached Files:

20. Chillice

Chillice New Member

This is it:

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

64.0MB

22/10/2006 12:22:00