How Do I How do I clean out my downloads? PLEASE READ!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Ginger1888, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Ginger1888

Ginger1888 New Member

How do I clean out my downloads? PLEASE READ!

Okay well I downloaded something that was SUPPOSED to let your sim wear their everyday outfit, even when they're pregnant. The page showed pictures, and it looked fine, so I downloaded it, just to see. That was a mistake. Now instead of transitioning on to the next stage of pregnancy, she just sits there and says "WOOHOO!!" 600 times until I'm forced to delete that family. It wouldn't be THAT bad of a problem, except about every 1/2 a second the camera automatically goes to her. Also, when I click on the wardrobe, I can't plan my outfit , I can only change into PJ's, Undies, Everyday...etc. etc. I know I have more clothes than just what she has on , so I know that's not the problem. And another thing! It's all glitchy. Like instead of getting up from bed, one second they're sleeping then all of a sudden they're just standing by their bed, like they teleported or something. (Freaky). ALSO, if I have my Sim do more than one task (Ex: Take Shower, Go To Bed) they won't do it! All their tasks will just disappear and they'll just stand there. So as you already figured out, my Sims 2 is a little messed up. I wanted to uninstall the whole game, start over, but my sister would have a heart attack if I did that, so that's out of the question. I've decided I want to just "clean out" everything I downloaded, I saw some other forums talking about that. I was just wondering, how do I do that, and what is the fastest and easiest way?:knockedout:

2. Ginger1888

Ginger1888 New Member

Grr! Why is nobody replying? Somebody's gotta help me! :confused:

3. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Patience please. This isn't as big a site as EA.com. I've got a bad thunderstorm coming up on the house, too.

Go to My Documents, EA Games, The Sims 2, Downloads. Either move the entire folder to the desktop or delete everything in the folder.

Yikes, lightening flashing. Gots to go. :eek:

4. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

the easiest way is to use Sims2Pack Clean installer from ModtheSims.com and use it to look at what is in your download file. Instructions are easy to follow. Pink items are usually duplicate and you can disable or delete one. Leave meshes as they don't show up and you don't want to eliminate what you might need. Items in red are hacks and it's up to you whether you keep them or not. You can disable them. the rest of the stuff usually can be viewed and you can decide if you want to keep them or not.

another way is to open bodyshop and eliminate outfits there. warning: if you try to eliminate one of a duplicate you will lose both of them.

another way is to copy your downloads file to another place on your desktop for example. Then empty your file and start putting stuff back into it.

5. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

Well, she meant that she wanted to empty everything out, so...she could just delete it or move it to a different location.

Eek, that sounds like a terrible bug. I sympathize with you.

6. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

That is probably this one: PregNormalDressingV1.package

Hopefully if you remove it, things will go back to normal.

This is not a mod which is compatible with OFB, by the way.

As others may have said, to clean out your downloads file, your best bets are to use either the "Clean Installer" which you can get from ModTheSims2 (which requires that you have a special Microsoft program installed, which they give you the link to find) or the Maxis made Content Manager (available on the official site.)

If you remove something being worn by one of your Sims, the program will dress them in a "random" Maxis outfit. So, if you see an outfit that you don't want anymore, it's ok to delete it.

Another way to go through clothing downloads (so that you can really see what it is that you're deleting rather than going by the .bmp map that the Clean Installer and Content Managers show) is to use BodyShop (in the Create Sims side, *not* the create parts side.) It's more tedious than the other programs, but you can see it better to decide if you do or don't like it.

7. Ginger1888

Ginger1888 New Member

Okay well I made another big mistake when trying to clean out my downloads. Long story. Anyway, I just ended up uninstalling the Sims 2. Now when I try to re-install it, it says there's an error. It says you can either "retry" or "cancel". I just kept clicking "retry" and like every time you click it, it installs a little bit more. I don't know it's hard to explain. Anyway, it never asks for the second disc, and when it gets up to 100, it just sits there, and I have to click cancel. My computer is so messed up.

8. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Heh, you're not have a good day, are you? :rolleyes:

See the FAQ's in my signature. You probably need to perform a manual uninstall. It's a dangerous job to perform when you're in a bad mood though. So chill out a bit and then print out the instructions and follow them extremely carefully. One false move and it won't just be TS2 you need to reinstall ... it'll be Windows XP and all your data will have gone as well ... all your MP3's and funny pics of kittens with guns and all that other good ... sh :eek:

9. Ginger1888

Ginger1888 New Member

I had no problem uninstalling TS2, it's just that I can't re-install it.

10. Ginger1888

Ginger1888 New Member

Okay, this is EXACTLY what happens when I try to re-install TS2. I got a little further, but it still doesn't work. It says "Please Insert Disc 2" (or something like that), then when it gets to 37% it says "A problem occured when trying to transfer the file 'TSData/Res/Sims3D/Sims03.package' from the media. Do you want to retry to copy the file, or cancel the installation?" Of course I click "Retry". It gets to 38%. Then it says the exact same thing. I click "retry" until it gets to 100%. I wait and wait and wait. It just freezes until I click cancel. What can I do? I miss my poor Sims :cry:

11. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

ginger, sometimes the uninstall doesn't remove everything... Mirelly has step by step instructions for you to follow. try it. if that doesn't work then contact maxis main site for further instructions.

12. Ginger1888

Ginger1888 New Member

TS2 is totally uninstalled, because I don't have an EA folder anymore. I had no problem uninstalling it. My problem is that I can't re-install it! Read my most recent post (not counting this one) in this forum. I need help!

13. Ginger1888

Ginger1888 New Member

Uh. Oh.

I think I found my problem. I just noticed a slight scratch on disc 2. Could that be it? Maybe it isn't, because a couple times before I tried installing it and it said that there was an error, and I was only on disc 1, and disc 1 is fine. So I don't know.

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ginger! Calm down dear! You're running around like a headless chicken.

Go to the FAQ page (that's a link :rolleyes:)

On the FAQ page look for the question:-

I uninstalled the game and now I can't reinstall it (that's another link :rolleyes:)

Trust me and just take a chill pill and do the job properly. You're not the first to have this problem ... it's what the F in FAQ stands for: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ... with any luck you should have it all fixed before midnight ... I'll be in bed by then cos' it's already gone midnight where I am :eek:

15. Ginger1888

Ginger1888 New Member

But when I click that link, it bring me to a place that helps me manually uninstall TS2. That's not the problem I'm having. I don't even have an EA folder anymore because it's uninstalled, so it wouldn't even work if I tried.

If I sound angry at you guys, I'm not. I'm angry at my PC.:mad:

Anyway, TS2 is totally uninstalled from my PC, I know that FOR SURE. I'm just having trouble re-installing it.

16. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Which EA folder have you removed? Was it:
    C:\Program Files\EA GAMES

or was it:

C:\Documents and Settings\[Ginger's UserName]\My Documents\EA Games

or was it a registry folder in the Windows Registry under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES

not forgetting the the important ID tag under:

Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall

If I sound tetchy with you it's because your answers are not clear.

Removing the folder in Program Files does not uninstall the game. If this is not what you have doene and you have performed a manual edit of you Windows Registry using Start>>Run>>regedit then please say so explicitly. I very much doubt that have edited your registry though ....

Also you should note that the advice I have given is not mine: it comes from EA Game support site :rolleyes:

17. Ginger1888

Ginger1888 New Member

Okay, whoa. I think I said this before, I suck with computers. English please? :)

Ugh. I think it's because of a scratch I have on Disc 2 of TS2. Now I have to buy it for $50.00 again, or just never play it again. And I am definetely NOT giving up TS2, not yet at least. Does anyone know what I could do? At all?!?!

18. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ginger. Sorry hon but I think you need to go find a friend who doesn't suck at computers and get them to sit with you and review this thread and see what you have dones so far.

I am afraid I cannot explain it any more clearly and we are so obviously not talking on the same level. I have done my best and that (evidently) is not going to be good enough to help you.

If you can find someone to help you in the flesh and they get stuck too, have them write a reply here explaining what the problem is exactly. Make sure they also review the FAQ's in my signature.

Hope you get a solution.

BTW I don't see how the scratch on disc 2 can be a problem because the problem is occurring while Disc 1 is in the drive.

19. KatAnubis

A scratch on Disc two would only cause problems during installation itself, not later for playing.

And even if you had a scratch, there are ways of fixing the scratch (if it's not too bad). Doing a regular internet search for help with CD/DVD scratches comes up with all sorts of things from home remedies to special things. (You might also want to ask at your local stores who sell things for DVD and CD players. I've seen the kits in Game Stores like Gamestop, in Electronics stores like CompUSA and Fry's, as well as others.)

But even if the scratch was horribly deep, it wouldn't be necessary to spend $50 to get a replacement. If you look in your instruction book which comes with the game, they list how to get in touch with EA Customer Support regarding replacement discs. For those you send them the damaged disc (or its shards, if it's shattered) and they send you (for free at times but for about $10 if you have to pay anything) a replacement disc. That's considerably better in terms of money than getting the whole game replaced.

But you may want to start where Mirelly suggested: ask for help from a local computer person to go through the steps Mirelly listed.

20. KatAnubis

The reason Mirelly and SuiteMichelle were suggesting a manual uninstall is because sometimes even when it *looks* like all the bits are uninstalled (such as no EA folders in either My Documents or Program files) sometimes there are bits that are not saved in those places.