How Do I How do I have only one 'world' used by whole computer

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by hero_bash, Nov 1, 2007.

1. hero_bash

hero_bash New Member

How do I have only one 'world' used by whole computer

My pc(winxp), have different user accounts used by my relatives.. I want it so that my sim family could meet their family in a neighborhood. ut it seems that every user account have a seperate unique sims world...

2. Cassiepeia

Cassiepeia New Member

As far as I know, that's impossible (I have winXP too, by the way).

The game installs once on your computer and that install is the same for everyone. Your family are probably playing in different neighbourhoods within the game itself. Ask them what neighbourhood they play in and then just create a family in the same one, then they can meet.

Another reason, if they're playing the same neighbourhood, could be that their sims just haven't wandered by yet. That happens sometimes. The sims you really want your sims to meet just never seem to visit. Be patient, it will happen. :)

Cass.

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Of course different accounts require different sims 2 games folders. The way to do what you want is to create a Windows account especially for the game. Give every family member access to that account. Either way, you need to be able to trust to your family and friends not to tamper with your own sims and to play only with theirs. Frankly its an argument waiting to happen. User accounts were invented for just such a reason. Letting people access your computer files, however indirectly is recipe for disaster.

Consider your sims: John & Jane Smith. They are happily married and have a baby and that's how you like it.

Consider your brother has a sim: Sue Brown who invites your John over and get pregnant by him.

Your brother has irreversibly changed your game files and the way your game will play out. Sooner or later Jane will notice that John has another child and boom! They will be mad at each other and their kids will all have bad memories and misery will be everywhere ... especially in your real house with your brother who spoiled your domestic idyll. :p

4. Cassiepeia

Cassiepeia New Member

But how is that possible, Mirelly? I mean the game installs once in one place on the computer. And if you play, you're using the same game as anyone else so the characters you create are in the same game as anyone else. Regardless of accounts, surely?
    I mean if one installs the game in username A's account, plays it for a while. Then someone comes along and goes in to username B's account and accesses the same game, they aren't going to suddenly be playing a clean version of the Sims 2?

I'm confuzzled. LOL

Cass.

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

The game's program files are in (by default) C:\Program Files\ but the player files (the saved sims and houses etc.) are stored in \My Documents\

Striclt speaking My Documents is a folder specific to a user account. The exact Windows path to your My Documents folder is something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user_account_name]\~~~~\My Documents\

It's why Windows was invented ... because our feeble human brains are not up to remembering deeply convoluted disk operation files path names. Windows is to computing as www. is to the internet. (easier to go to www.worldsims.org than to try to remember: http://202.102.019.003 (or whatever the IP address is :rolleyes: )

6. Leticron

Leticron New Member

At first thought i had the solution....but the deeper I got into the thinking process the more "hurdles" kept showing up. (to a degree where nobody would want to deal with those problems.)

I believe the only practical solution would be a fresh installation, all users using the same account (could be a special account just for the game so no "security risks" by mom reading your IMs or emails ;)

All users would have to play the same "hood" (pre made or custom ..doesn't matter).
    That way all CC would be accessible by all users and all Sims involved would show up in everyone's game.
    Of course all CC would have to be installed using this account (or at least moved into the same download folder.
    Still Mirelly's warning about your co-users influence/potentially ruin your game holds true !!!

(I see hours of Inseminator/SimPE use after each session to fix unwanted "mess ups" ;)

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Exactly what I said, Le ... only better put. I really think playing the game with a shared set of game files is asking for disaster.

There's one other way to share single folder. Each player agrees to play different neighborhoods. But you'd still need a Sims 2 only user account to whihc all users have access.