How Do I How to create a car dealership

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Jakethedane, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Jakethedane

Jakethedane Man of the world

How to create a car dealership

I have this simmer, Elmer, and he has a natural ability to sell anything to anyone. I tried to build a lot which had those round car displays on it, so he could buy the lot and become a car salesman. Then I couldnt activate the cars menu. OK, so I changed the lot with the cheat to a residential lot. Tried again. This time the car menu was active, but I couldnt place the cars on the displays. Ok, I then had Elmer buy an empty lot, and build the **** things from scratch, but to no avail.

So how am I suppose to build a functionally cardealership, with the round display-thingys?

2. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Well, I found the greatest site! :) I hadn't looked much at MTS2 Gameplay Wiki section, just found this today.

http://www.modthesims2.com/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Gameplay_Guides

Here's what it says about Selling Cars with OFB:

Car Dealerships

These work just like a retail shop, only you'll be selling vehicles rather than normal stuff. If you're trying to set up an owned community lot by visiting it with your sim, you may find making a car dealership tricky since you can't buy the cars.
    Click the Business Build Tools button on the business control panel and then the Toggle Wholesale Mode button. You'll now find you can purchase cars for your lot.
    A few things to keep in mind when running a dealership:
    • You'll notice that you can only place Maxis cars on that ridiculously huge rotating display, but if you use moveObjects on you can place them anywhere you like.
    • Custom car meshes seem to work just fine in a car dealership, but you won't be able to place them on the rotating display, even with moveObjects on. Some users have reported that putting custom car meshes on the ground, then onto the display works.
    • Patrons will try to stand alongside a car and look at its back left tire to consider purchasing it. Make sure they have access to this area or they'll complain.
    • To prevent sims from bumping into one another and clogging up, make sure you leave at least one empty tile of space between each car and the next. This will also make it easier for your employees or played sims to sell to your patrons even if more than one sim is in the aisle between the cars.

3. Lynet

Lynet New Member

This thread just reminded me of a custom lot I built to look like a parking lot. I wanted a parking lot full of cars for a picture for one of my stories. For one reason or another I found that I could only do it by having a sim purchase the lot. Then I used move objects to place cars on it.

OK, picture time. But whoa, I had to take the pictures fast, because passersby keep walking onto the lot and buying the cars. In simland, this means the cars disappear into thin air. :rolleyes: And I made no effort to make it easy for them, since I didn't want the cars to disappear.

4. Jakethedane

Ok, if I follow the excact instructions from kristalrose, especially this bit:"Click the Business Build Tools button on the business control panel and then the Toggle Wholesale Mode button. You'll now find you can purchase cars for your lot," then nothing happens. I still cannot open the car menu.

I have tried to start with a commercial lot and then buy the displays. That worked. But not the car menu. I then tried to change the lot into residential and then I COULD byt the cars, but I couldnt place them. Not even with the moveObjects on cheat.

Why does Maxis make it so hard for us? I mean in this particular case, they clearly didnt think it through.

5. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Jake, when you toggle the wholesale mode for the catalog, then the catalog items available for selling get a yellow background. This should be true for the cars in the catalog, too.

Are the cars not turning yellow in the catalog? Is that the problem?

And I've used moveobjects to place cars around a lot. The car objects are not easy to place because they want the driveway, but I've managed.

[​IMG]

6. Jakethedane

I did click the wholesale button, and I know about the yellow background. That means I get a discount. The more rewards I get, the bigger discounts. But the car menu is still not active. I try to toggle moveObjects on and off, but still to no avail.

Its ok though. Elmer decided to build five driveways at his home, and business is booming. Seems like everyone wants one of his cars!

7. Jakethedane

Ah. Got it. Its tricky though.