Troubleshooting I followed instructions on how to completely unsintall it before reinstalling BUT...!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by marshaandchester, Jun 7, 2007.

1. marshaandchester

marshaandchester New Member

I followed instructions on how to completely unsintall it before reinstalling BUT...!

I followed ManagerJosh's post about how to manually uninstall the Sims 2 so you can uninstall it again. But when I got up to the bit that says I go into Registration Editor, I do so and everything works untill..
    + Microsoft
    + Windows
    + Current Version
    + Uninstall

And there are loads of keys with the amount of numbers it said I had to look for depending on the version. On another website it told me to do the same thing and even had numbers for expansion packs, so I checked for the ones for University and Nightlife, the only 2 I have (well I also have the Sims 2 Christmas Party Pack?) and they weren't there. I checked loads of times. It's as if they've already been deleted/uninstalled! But when I put the disk in nothing happens, and when I look in My Computer it's not there either. Please tell me how to get it working! Everything worked until I opened the Uninstall key! So close :mad: :confused: Please reply ASAP! I'm new to this WorldSims website but please help! Thanks so much if you do! :D

2. marshaandchester

I've followed all instructions but still need HELP!

3. Jill Valentine

Jill Valentine New Member

Well, here's what I do:

1- Uninstall pack per pack, in order (so, for example, if you installed TS2-University-Nightlife, you have to uninstall as Nightlife-University-TS2);
    2- Scan your hard disk for "the sims 2", and you may see files to delete (most of the time, it will show only some files found in "C:\Windows\Prefetch"). Don't forget to save your saved games directory though, if you want;
    3- Run a registry cleaner software of your choice and that you trust;
    4- Then, manually clean your windows registry opening "regedit", and search for the keywords "maxis", "ea games", "electronic arts" and, of course, "the sims" (you can also use these keywords in the system scan too if you want, before advancing to step 3). Be wary though, not to delete keys, values, or folders of both, that do not belong to TS2 and its packs.

If you can't uninstall the games, as it seems your system is already messed up a bit, you can skip steps 1 and 2, as these steps are for systems which are operating normally or that have minor problems within the game. The saved games directory though, found in step 2, you may save or not as you want.

Byes !!!

4. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Just to add. Backup your regestry first before attempting anything. Otherwise you may go all the way to La la land. And maybe not recover.
    Regards Moon.

5. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Darn, Moon, now I got the Tellitubbies song in my head! :eek:gre::silly: (sings) Tinkywinky, Dipsie, Lala, Poe... Tellitubbies. Tellitubbies say hello!

... [​IMG] What? I used to watch that when I was little!
    (I think Tellitubbies is a British kids program - I'm not sure on the British bit though.)

Welcome to World Sims BTW, marshaandchester. Hope you find all your answers here. :classic:

6. Odinmoon

If I was a child. I think Tele Tubbys would give me nightmares.
    Wierdos with TV's stuck to thier stomach's

7. muffin-tacos

I know! They are really scary, aren't they! It's a wonder how those creatures didn't scare the living day lights out of me, when I was little. They scare me now though. :weeping: LOL.

One of my friends told me that some company was going to sue the Tellietubby makers because they thought that Tinky-winky was gay. It made me laugh because that is the stupidest thing that I've ever heard!! Now that person must have gotten scared real bad by those purple, green, yellow and red dancing things (and must have had something against homosexual people). :indifferent:

8. Odinmoon

The other one that makes me cry cause its sooo Corny is.

BARNEY.

9. muffin-tacos

Yup, you gotta hate Barney. But I feel sorry for homo-Tinky. :silly: (no offence to anybody out there that's homosexual)

10. marshaandchester

Still needin help :(

Haha. I'm lovin this worldsims website lol.

I'd already uninstalled all games (I think... yes I have) so I couldnt do it in a different order! But I dunno! & I searched for any sims 2 things and deleted them. There was nothing in My Computer>Local Disk>WINDOWS>Prefench. Arrrgggggggghhhhhhh! I really want to play the sims 2! It still isn't working. Please help, I really appreciate it!:crossfingers:hopefully i'll get it working soon.

marshaandchester.

AKA KAYLEIGH :D

11. Odinmoon

With regedit. Also search for the titles,e.g Nightlife, ofb,seasons, and so on. Use the find comand and the find next command.
    Hope this helps.

12. marshaandchester

help me dudes

Ive done everything. Im gonna kill this computer!! Doing my head in! why wont it work & install?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!"QWED@RFVGBSfh please help :D

13. Odinmoon

I know you might have stated this, but what expansions do you have?
    This is a strange problem. if you tell me the expansion. and your computer specs.as well as whats in the my documents EA folder, if there is one left.
    I'm a bit nervous that you may have corrupted your registry.
    I know it a painfull process, but I have been through many with computer programs.

regards moon
    ps there is always a solution in the end.

14. marshaandchester

Well!

:D
    My expansion packs are University and Nightlife, installed in that order. (I have Christmas Party Pack too? Dunno if that counts:))I dont think i'm gonna install Nightlife again, it made it quite slow lol. Right... my computer specs are.. well i dont really know what that means but in DXDIAG its...actually i dont know what to type here...!I'm not so good with computers! Like computer name & system model & memory etc?

In EA Games folder there is absolutely nothing.

You're pretty **** cool Moon! Helping everybody!

Currupting my registry? Can that be fixed? ARGH! haha.

Please get back to me (i appreciate it alot)

15. Odinmoon

Ok goto.
    Start then programs. accesories. System tools. then System information.
    Click on System inforamation. then select the first line and hold shift key down. while holding down shift key click the last line. Then goto edit, and copy. then in next thread paste. e.g Just like you see below.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name MARS
    System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    System Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~3010 Mhz
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~3010 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1011.005, 13/10/2005
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale Australia
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name MARS\Terry
    Time Zone AUS Eastern Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 464.25 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 2.90 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

regards moon

16. marshaandchester

my SPECS :D

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name TAMMIE
    System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corp.
    System Model Inspiron 1000
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2191 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corp. A04 (Q3B01), 03/08/2004
    SMBIOS Version 2.31
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name TAMMIE\Kayleigh
    Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 31.20 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 775.37 MB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Theeeeeeeere we go!

I had to resort to the sims 1 tonight! :ermm: lol. There's my specs.
    Enjoy :p lol
    please get back to meeeeeeeee I know I keep saying this but I really do appreciate it. :D

17. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

OK we need to take a serious look at this, Marsha ... or is it Chester? ;)

First let's have a peek at your installation so far.

In these instructions TS2 = The Sims 2
    and EP = Expansion Pack

Open My Computer then:
    1. Open Drive C: (assuming that's where the game was installed to)
    2. Open Program Files
    3. Open EA Games (if it's there!)
    4. You should be looking at C:\Program Files\EA GAMES
    5. If there is nothing there tell us that: specifically say that C:\Program Files\EA GAMES is empty or does not exist
    6. If it contains folders please give a full list of the names of the ALL the folders
    OK Now do the Start >> Run >> regedit thing
    1. First make a back up.
      1. Click File
      2. Click Export
      3. Choose a Location to save the back up
      4. Make sure you select All (near the bottom of the export dialog box)
      5. Click OK
    2. Now the examination may begin
    3. Make sure that all TS2 and EP folders within the following locations are deleted
    4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    5. - SOFTWARE
    6. -- EA Games folder and Electronic Arts folder
    7. ----
    8. ----
    9. OK You said you have done that already.
    10. Now for the other bit
    11. ----
    12. take a breather first
    13. ----
    14. Open up
    15. Microsoft
    16. - Windows
    17. -- Current Version
    18. --- Uninstall
    19. Come back to these instructions ...
    20. Now then, click and drag over the registry key in the next line below this one so that you highlight it exactly.
    21. 6E7DD182-9FC6-4651-0095-2E666CC6AF35
    22. When it is all highlighted press [Ctrl] + [C]
    23. Go back to Regedit and right click on the Uninstall folder in the left hand pane and choose "Find..."
    24. In the dialog box Press [Ctrl] + [V] which will paste the registry key you copied at instruction number 21 ;)
    25. Click OK - it will either find it or not.
    These instructions assume you have the CD version of the game, bought in the UK (from a store in the UK ... not from ebay or some other source).

I am kinda hoping we get quickly to the bottom of this .... :)

18. marshaandchester

right

In Program Files in Drive C: there is NO EA Games Folder. There is an EA Games Folder in My Documents but it contains ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. :knockedout: You asked me about that so thought I'd tell you. Better get back to the rest of the stuff you told me to do! Thanks, Kayleigh. (not marsha... or chester ;)) You are very cool too Mirelly haha. x

19. marshaandchester

Heheheheheeheheheeeeee

How do I make a back up? :D i am beeping myself off so I don't know how frustrated YOU'LL be with me hehe.

20. marshaandchester

cvfgtmjrlsjkg;rs

I just did the other instructions. (yeah yeah, i didnt have a backup but i thought i'd see :D) lol! Did it work??? No. I really appreciate you trying! I've tried copying and pasting other keys or codes or whatever their names are into it but nothing gets found.

I'm going crazy!

:cry:

I do not want to have to resort to playing the sims 1 all the time! I do love it but OH compared to the sims 2 its... :eek: ok i dont no what that means but yea...