Troubleshooting I have installed Sims 3, but it won't play on my laptop!

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by thomasjewell87, Jun 22, 2009.

1. thomasjewell87

thomasjewell87 New Member

I have installed Sims 3, but it won't play on my laptop!

Hello uoem community!!

I, like many others it seems, am also new - this in fact is my very first post. I don't usually post on these sites, but a) I really really wanna play Sims 3, and b) there seems to be some regular posters on here who are very good at helping clueless people like myself out. Any suggestions to the following problem would be very much appreciated:

So, after spending quite a long time researching that my computer was adequate to at least play sims 3 (even if it was gonna be slow), both on the internet and asking a computer-buff of a friend his advice, I bought Sims 3 last night as a direct download from the EA store. The installation was very successful and fairly quick, but when I go to the EA download manager and press the "play" arrow, it slowly comes up with an EA dialogue box, which says "Important message! There is a problem connecting to the server. Please ensure your internet connection is active. If the problem persists try again later".

Now I have made sure, several times, that my broadband is connecting and active. I have also tried at several different times of the day today. The other thing I don't get is why I would need to be "connected to the server" to play a game? Is it permanently connected to the web network community thing?

I know (slash really hope) that there is a simple solution and I am just a moron, but worried I could have just thrown £40 down the drain AND not get any SIMS- based action.

I am trying to find my dxdiag info now, and will post it shortly.

Thanks - please help a lost soul!!

Tom

2. thomasjewell87

dxdiag

Here is my dxdiag, hopefully.

Attached Files:

3. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

I don't believe your graphics chipset is supported by the game.

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Do you have any firewalls enabled in Windows Vista? This includes Windows Firewall btw. IF you do, be sure to allow external connections.

@Steve Mobile Series 4 should be supported. It is part of the GMA 4x series.

5. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Ah my bad although it's onboard ram is kinda low!

6. thomasjewell87

Thanks for your help Josh - you absolute legend. I very quickly changed my McAfee Firewall settings and hey presto, she runs like a dream. Definitely worth the wait too - time for bed after an excellent first session now though.

Thanks for your advice and time too Steve.

Tom