Troubleshooting I'm assuming this is a technical problem...

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Chee-Z, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

I'm assuming this is a technical problem...

'Ello, long time no see. :)

Anyway, I have installed The Sims 2: University just recently. I have been playing the game for a week now. Now when I try to boot up my custom neighborhood, Nirvanaville, it shows up as its university, Sim State University, on the main menu screen. This has never happened before. :confused:

So I think "Well, it might be because I've been playing the university a lot lately, maybe it's just a coincidence." So I click and play. During the loading screen, this error sound pops in, making the startup music stutter, and this message says that there has been an error, the application must shut down. I click "ok" and it backs me out of the game. I reboot the game, TWICE, and it does the same thing! :confused:

I need some advice. I really wish this won't result in me having to reinstall everything (even though I backed up my save files before installation, thank God), but if need be I might as well do it. What should I do, fellas? :(

PS: I was debating whether or not to post this in this certain board, but I will post my system stats upon request if it really is a technical problem. I'm kinda clueless about stuff like this. :D

2. Chee-Z

BTW, the attached pic is the error message I get. The more I think about it, the more likely I'm gonna have to reinstall this bad boy. *sigh* All my hard work this week's gonna be in vain, huh? :(

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Start > CP > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer:

Do you see any error messages or flags in it under the "Application" category?

4. Chee-Z

None from today, apparently. One warning message but it was for another program. Would it say that it was coming from The Sims game? There's only been one error this month and it was from 3 days ago...for Windows Media Player. :confused:

5. ManagerJosh

hmmm..how about My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Logs ?

6. Chee-Z

App Errors and Audio Errors were the only error files I could find, but I can't make heads or tails of 'em. :confused: But the audio errors might explain the stutters. :)

7. ManagerJosh

would be nice if you could post em :)

8. Chee-Z

Well, I tried...but somehow I wasn't able to attach text files, and I did not want to have to copy and paste a bunch of technical gibberish.

This afternoon I broke down and had to reinstall both Sims 2 and Sims 2 University. Fortunately I had backed up my saved files beforehand, so I guess all is back to normal, except all my college students are teenagers again. Go figure. :( I think my custom neighborhood's files had gotten corrupted or something. :\

Thank you for helping though. :)

9. Chee-Z

Here We Go Again...

Hi again. After my last dilemma, my Sims 2 game has been doing very well...until today.

Now, this is very strange. I'm not sure whether or not this is a bug in the system or if something's gotten corrupted, but could you help me fix this?

Here's the story:

I play my Curious family. I go to check on Vidcund's job status and skill points, and lo and behold, the Science icon next to his job rank is gone. I dismiss this as a glitch, and check on Aeris's, Pascal's, and Boba Fett's Job tabs, and their job and school icons are missing as well.

Some actions in the queve are represented as blank boxes. My teen, Boba Fett, was almost late for school because I did not realize that the school bus had come. He did not change into his private school uniform. The carpool arrives for Vidcund and Pascal, both in the Science field, and they do not change into their lab coats. :confused:

I switch to two or three other families. They all have the same problem: no Career or School icons in the Job tab, blank queve icons, and when one family took a taxi, the taxi icon was also blank in the Taxi dialog box and the queve line.

When my Sims talk or think or dream, their talking or thought bubbles sometimes display lines instead of pictures. :confused:

I tried looking for my problem on The Sims 2 and EA Games tech support websites, but I was unable to pinpoint exactly what was wrong. The system requirements for the game are met.

Windows XP
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.60GHz
    512MB RAM
    15% Free Space, equivalent of 5GB left on my 40GB hard drive
    my DirectX is up to date, it is version DirectX 9.0c
    my Video Card is an ATI Radeon 9600
    my computer is a Dell Dimension 4600

I could try posting the error things from last time, if that will be helpful.

10. ManagerJosh

Out of curosity, but did you install any third party hacks?

11. Chee-Z

No, sir. My game is hack-free. The occassional money cheat and move_objects cheat, but no hacks. :confused:

Edit: Unless downloads count as "hacks," which in that case, I have a ton...some that I probably don't need in the downloads folder. Argh...stupid clothing. :ermm:

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

From vague memory I think I remember seeing talk about the thought bubble lines instead of an icon ... it was something to do with a corrupted memory bug (or the jump bug).

Have you got University? If not have you got the latest version of the patch?

13. Chee-Z

I do have University, and everything is updated.

And on a whim I removed all the downloads out of the downloads folder, that didn't do a thing. I've packaged all the families that I've been playing the most...but at this point, it wouldn't hurt to reinstall and start on a clean slate. :)

Hmm...corrupted memory bug...wonder what could fix that...?

Edit: BTW, my previous problem and this problem...occurred a week and two or three weeks after installing and reinstalling University. I've never had a problem with regular Sims 2 since the day I installed it on this computer, which was back in October. Funny how things work. :confused:

14. ManagerJosh

Do me a favor, and sometime in the night, run this program. Run it for about 8 or so hrs.

http://www.memtest.org/

I strongly suspect there's a hardware memory issue.

15. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hmmm ... I am having trouble as well now ... not the same as CheeZ but annoyingly similar. A clean reinstall hasn't fixed it and I'm seriously looking at a format and Windows reinstall.

16. Chee-Z

Hmm...I might try that out. I had to reinstall The Sims 2 and University, and scrap my custom neighborhood. That seemed to fix my problem. However, I do not want or like to resort to scrapping several months worth of hard labor and love go down the proverbial toilet.

My computer's a year old, and it used to have virtual memory dumps on a bimonthly basis. After reformating the system and replacing the motherboard, both solved that problem. I'm skeptical that it would be a memory problem...but hey, you never know. Could it be a glitch in the game, or my Nirvanaville neighborhood file got corrupted somehow? Memory or game, it still concerns me. :(

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems too, Mirelly. Maybe your computer is overdue for a reformat...:confused: