I'm having troubles downloading......

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Parietti, May 25, 2004.

1. Parietti

Parietti New Member

I'm having troubles downloading......

I don't know why its doing this, but every single time I try downloading (body shop off the thesims2 website) the screens just pops up, the bar indicates that the whole thing is downloaded. When I click 'open file', this error message comes up It goes something like 'a corrupted file had been found, download a fresh copy and try again'

so...help please?

I know that there are 2 other sites that has it up for download. The sims resorce has been having major problems w/ downloads. Does n e one know the other site that has it for download?

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Gamespot and File Planet are the only places besides the official Sims2 site who have it. (They didn't allow anyone else to mirror the site.)

The problem usually is that you have dialup and there was a glitch in downloading. It doesn't have anything to do with the program itself. Unfortunately, if you have dialup, if anyone tries to dial your number it sends a "glitch" onto the line, even though they just get a busy signal. Also, with long downloads, sometimes the "dirty lines" just allow a byte or two to get out of place, which ruins the whole durned download.

The only "cure" is to redownload it from scratch.

Some suggestions that have helped others include getting a download accelerator. If you go to the SimsBBS and do a search for the past couple of weeks on the Sims2 board for "download accelerator", people have posted some places to get them. (If it has my name as the author, skip it because I didn't get the sites bookmarked.)

Start your download late at night (so that the lines will be less "dirty" with interference from people using the lines so much.)

Alternatively, have a friend with high speed internet download it and burn it to a CD for you. (Cable modems take about 5 minutes to download the whole thing, and it's rare to get a "corruption" glitch.) My husband went to a friend's house and downloaded it for me to avoid our awful dialup. It worked like a dream!

3. SolidSnake_19

SolidSnake_19 Senior Moderator

I'd suggest going to GameSpot to download BodyShop if you have dialup. That way you can pause in mid-download, and resume where you left off (and if you install their DLX Download Manager you can get accelerated downloads.)

4. Parietti

Parietti New Member

OK, thanks a bunch everyone :)

I just have one more problem....

I have aol, and when I went to gamespot, I clickedthe dpwnload button for body shop, a aol-ish downladed window popped up, stayed there was around 5 second and just disapeared....any help on that?