Troubleshooting Install Error: Please Insert Disk 1

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by lutelian, Oct 20, 2007.

1. lutelian

lutelian New Member

Install Error: Please Insert Disk 1

All right, I have searched the forums, the internet, etc all night long, and can't find anyone with this exact same problem, so forgive me if it is a double post. I just bought the Sims 2 Deluxe last night at Walmart, and when I start the installer (from autorun or from exploring the D drive and running autorun), it waits a few seconds and pops up with a dialog box that says: Please Insert Disk 1. If I click OK, it dings at me and pops the box up again. If I click Cancel, it asks if I want to quit. It is the DVD version, and only has this disk and the "bonus" disk.

So far, I have tried removing all programs running in the background besides necessary ones like explorer, rebooting, etc. I have rebooted and done this, copied the contents of the DVD to a folder and renamed it to the same name as the disk in the DVD drive, several other folder names I read online when doing a hard drive install, etc, and still no luck. I have changed up the drive letter on the DVD drive, uninstalled Alcohol 120%, have no antivirus software running, adaware, etc, turned off firewall and various other windows settings.

I am away from home a lot, so this is on my laptop. It installs just fine on my desktop, no problems, so it is not a problem with the DVD. If someone has any other ideas, please please help me out. Here are my system specs:

1. Processor: Intel(R) core(TM)2 CPU T5200 @ 1.60 Ghz 1.60 Ghz
    2. 2046 MB of Ram
    3. Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000)
    4. 50 Gigs free HD space
    5. 80 Gigs total HD space
    6. DirectX 10
    7. NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600
    8. nvd3dum.dll version 7.15.0010.9746 Date: 12/6/2006
    9. 520 MB total video memory
    10. Sims 2 Deluxe
    -Lutelian

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

The problem is undoubtedly caused by a silly incompatibility between your DVD drive and the game's anti-piracy gizmo.

I suggest you copy the game disc to your hard drive. Copy all the files on the DVD to a single folder ... obviously ;)

Then, leaving the disc in the DVD drive, but try launching the setup.exe from the hard drive copy.

3. lutelian

lutelian New Member

I did that, and ran the autorun.exe with a variety of folder names, from what the DVD itself is labelled to other ideas people said worked on the web as I said above....Unless there is a setup.exe I couldn't find.

-Lutelian

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

There should be a setup.exe ... I don't have that version, but the Deluxe Edition is the base game with added goodies so it needs a basic Windows setup installer so it know where to install.

Do you have Drive Letter Access enabled? Right click the DVD drive and see what options are available ... if DLA is enabled, try disabling it.

5. lutelian

lutelian New Member

No, there is no setup.exe. I've done a search through DOS and windows, and searching for hidden files. DLA is not enabled (I believe file sharing has to be turned on for that option, and file sharing is not on this laptop), otherwise I simply can't find it through any sub menus. I'm not sure what autorun is attempting to run as the installer, but if I could figure that out it would be a big help (possibly).

-Lutelian

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Bugger. (Can I say that?)

Best I can manage at this stage is to ask if you tried the autorun from the hard disc copy of the DVD files? (It should work, but I still wanted there to be a setup.exe ... but then I am just a dummy who expects things to be consistent.

7. lutelian

lutelian New Member

once again, I have done that. and no matter what the folder is named (of the 20 names I tried), where its located (c:\ or desktop), whether or not the dvd is in the drive or not, when I run autorun from the hard drive, it says the same error.

-Lutelian

8. lutelian

lutelian New Member

Ok, I figured it out. In short, Im a TOTAL retard. Apparently, I already have sims 2, pets, nightlife, open for business, etc, already installed on this laptop. So the message was saying "insert disk 1" but it should have said "insert pets disk 1". I didn't realize or remember installing it on this laptop /shrug. But in my defense, I have memory problems and forget lots of stuff, lots of gaps in my memory. After I realized this, I found my pets disk. But I still don't remember installing or buying them. Not the first time something liek this has happened though, I have 3 copies of Civ3, 4 of Tribes 2, 3 copies of warcraft 3, and a few other games I have multiple copies of because I forgot I bought them. I also do this with books sometimes too :/ Anyways, thanks all for the help.

-Lutelian

9. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

:rotfl:

(Re your multiple games and books problem ... ebay? amazon even? ;) )

10. lutelian

lutelian New Member

I have too many mental disorders, its not even funny. I cant get rid of the multiples. cant explain it, but I cant :/

-Lute

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

No problemo, Lute. All lunatics are welcome here ... I wouldn't be here if that wasn't true.