Installing custom content.

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by rockininmyboxerz, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockininmyboxerz

rockininmyboxerz New Member

Installing custom content.

For some reason, none of the downloads I've installed (using the package installer) have worked for me. I'm not very knowledgable with macs, as this is the first one I've owned, so any help would be reatly appreciated.
    I downloaded everything from thesimsresource.com, and installed it with package installer. The custom content setting is on in my game.

Macbook OS X version 10.4.8
    1 GB memory

Thank you!

2. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

I wish I could help you, but I have never used a package installer with my Mac. I'm not entirely sure that they work for Macs. Perhaps one of the other Mac Heads will be able to clarify Installer use with OS X.

Generally, if the download has been packaged, you can double click on the package, and it will install itself correctly. Most downloads, however, seem not to be packaged. Those I place in Downloads folder, which should be in Documents/EA Games/Sims 2 on your Mac.

3. Thinker

Thinker New Member

Are you sure your files are .package? If they are .rar those files cannot be used...just some info if your confused. I know I had .package files in the past that wouldnt work for me either. So Im not completely sure if there is some kind of bug goin' round for that.

4. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

O yes - I forgot about those pesky .rar files - HATE them! Just when I find the PERFECT Item, I discover that it is a .rar file, and therefore UNUSABLE on a Mac! :mad:

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

You could always put the rar file on a USB memory stick and ask a nice PC owner to un-rar it for you ... :)

6. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

Really? I never thought of that! Hmmm - Looks like I may have to shamelessly invite myself over to SBW's or Shana's for a little SWAP party...They could "Un-.rar" my files, and I could trade that for some of my favorite houses!

Thanks for the tip, Mirelly! :rolleyes:

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

It's only because I am both extremely simple minded and incredibly lazy that I come up with these ridiculously obvious ideas. The number of time, over the years that I have observed someone turning a 'gussy up' into a celebrity makeover. If you come to my house I promise to move the dust before you sit on the pile of laundry (I'm waiting for someone to sit on it to press out the wrinkles :rolleyes: )

8. KylaNicole

KylaNicole New Member

Why are y'all having problems with .rar? I'm on a Powerbook G4, and I use .rar just fine O_o

Sometimes, they download with .txt at the end, but I just rename it to remove the .txt, and hit the "use .rar" button, and it works just fine when I extract it with Stuffit. They download with that .txt extension when the website uses the .php getfile thing....it's annoying, but definitely workable.

9. 0kitten0

0kitten0 New Member

Playing with .rar

I'm on an iBook G4 with 10.4.9

When I realized I couldn't download .rar files with Safari, I tried using Firefox for Mac. Works without fault!
    I double-click the .rar file on my desktop once it's downloaded and Stuffit Expander (v. 11) automatically starts up to open it. Viola - my folder with the goodies appears! I then drag the .packages into Documents / EA Games / The Sims 2 / Downloads.
    In game, the goodies work just fine. We Mac people can use almost anything those PC people can! (Provided we have the proper Expansion pack, that is).
    Re: Package Installer, I'm pretty sure it can only be used with .Sims2Pack. It too, is just a double-click and the application should pop up on its own.
    Hope this helps!

10. karissa101

karissa101 Karisssa

if your talking about like custom clothes and stuff go onto sims2.com and you can download stuff for macs. :) glad to help. i dont know if thats what your talking about though.

11. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Karissa, please watch the dates next time. This thread is a year old! We prefer to keep the dead threads dead. Plus, there's a very high chance of the first poster (or whoever you aimed your post at) never seeing your post.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.