Installing downloaded objects full tutorial: read before posting

Discussion in 'The Sims 1' started by krazy101901, Jul 13, 2002.

1. krazy101901

krazy101901 New Member

Help Me

When I try to download objects from the internet i cant get them into my game. Why not? Somebody help me.

My email is krazy101901@yahoo.com

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help me

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

You need to install them into their proper folders. Using winzip, extract ZIP folders and unzip the IFFs to The Sims/Downloads

You'll need to create a new folder for this.

3. krazy101901

krazy101901 New Member

ummmmm

okay, while i apreciate the help can you help me in english please. lol. I am not computer illiterate but I am computer slow. lol.

4. lworley

lworley New Member

Ok here i go

I am going to completely write this tutorial in english please read the disclaimer at the bottom too :)

First things first, download winzip and all the objects etc you want to download, save all files onto your desktop since this is most easiest to find them from.

Here we go.

For windows 9x/me

1) double click My Computer on your desktop

2) Double click the hard drive of which the sims is installed (Default C:)

3)Look for a folder called "Program Files" and double click that.

4) Look for a folder called "maxis" and double click that

5) Look for a folder called "The Sims" and double click that.

6) now minimize (press the icon which looks like _ at the top right of your screen. Do not click the x)

Now here comes the hard part.

7) Double click the .zip file on your desktop and have a look inside. and read below.

If the files are .iff go to step 8
    If they are .wll go to step 9
    If they are .flr go to step 10
    If they are .fam go to step 11

Iff Files:

8) On the taskbar below, click the window which was minimized earlier, it will come back into focus (where you can see it). Look for a folder called "gamedata" and double click it. Now look for a folder called "userobjects" and double click it.

go to step 12

.WLL Files:

9)On the taskbar below, click the window which was minimized earlier, it will come back into focus (where you can see it). Look for a folder called "gamedata" and double click it. Now look for a folder called "walls" and double click it.

go to step 12

.FLR Files:

10)On the taskbar below, click the window which was minimized earlier, it will come back into focus (where you can see it). Look for a folder called "gamedata" and double click it. Now look for a folder called "floors" and double click it.

go to step 12

.FAM Files

11)On the taskbar below, click the window which was minimized earlier, it will come back into focus (where you can see it). Look for a folder called "userdata" and double click it. Now look for a folder called "import" and double click it.

go to step 12

12) Now click on the winzip window again, so that you can see the files inside the zip.

13) Select a file and drag it to the other window which is in the appropiate sims folder.

14) Continue the above steps for other files in the zip, and for other zip files.

For Windows Xp Users:

You do not need winzip to do the above steps.

Simply follow the above procedure but winzip will not open as windows xp has native zip support. So for xp, it will lok just like a normal folder when you double click the zip file.

DISCLAIMER:

Worldsims can not be held responsible for any damage from the users following this procedure. Although none has ever been done.

Zip files may contain viruses and anti virus software installed and recently updated definitions are strongly advised.

Worldsims and The author of this article are the only people to reproduce this article without permission. Any one else wishing to use this article must gain permission from the author and not from worldsims.

5. RedsGirl

RedsGirl New Member

I agree with all of your instructions - but please allow me to elaborate about downloading houses: they can be a .FAM file which can be put in the Userdata/Imports folder - on your neighborhood screen you will need to click the import houses button to get those into your game. If you have downloaded a House#.iff file then you need to do the following:
    Each neighborhood has a file - inside each Userdata file is a Houses folder - you need to put the Houses#.iff file inside the houses folder for the neighborhood you want it to show up in.

Userdata = Neighborhood One
    Userdata2 = Neighborhood 2
    Userdata3 = Neighborhood 3

So you need to copy or extract the file to c:/Program Files/Maxis/The Sims/Userdata#/Houses

THere are two wonderful programs out there to help make downloading much easier SimZip and FileMaid - here are links for both :)

Go to www.simsplus.com and get the simszip http://simsplus.com/files/SimsZipInstall.exe - all you need to do is drag and drop your zip files onto the simzip and it will extract them for you. It does not work on roofs or houses.
    http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/projects/SimFileMaid/ the sims file maid - works the same as SimZip but will allow you to change regular clothes to buyables - does also not work on houses or roofs :)

6. lewdini

lewdini Moderate Sith Lord

Maybe we should do a helpfile that explains where to put what for all beginners?

7. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Good Idea Lew.

And use all the good things above here.

:classic:

8. lewdini

I think If I got the time I might do one up

9. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Great Lew! Do that..

:classic:

10. lewdini

Well...I realised that Reni has already done a rather elaborate one... www.simlovelies.net

11. lworley

lworley New Member

darn i knew i forgot something .fam files, my weak and feeble mind lol.

12. ManagerJosh

That's what you get for leaving in long periods of time Luke :D

13. Jesse

Jesse New Member

where is a good free site with tons of downloads i m new

14. ManagerJosh

We are one Jesse :)

There are also our affiliates. All free sites :)

15. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Hi Jesse, welcome!! It's good to see you post here! :)

16. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Hi and welcome Jesse. :classic:

17. neomatrixj

neomatrixj New Member

Hello, I'm new. :p

I have followed all the instructions and have placed objects in the appropriate folders, but I can't seem to find them when I start the game. Am I being really stupid here?

18. PepsiGirl

PepsiGirl New Member

I don't think you are being really stupid at all. I have discovered that if you download, say a window, you probably believe that it will show up in the game under build mode in with all the other windows. This isn't always the case. You will find your objects under the classification that the creator of that object made it. I have some windows under decorations in buy mode and misc. I also have some outdoor plants under decorations. It depends on how the creator of the item set it up. Does anyone else have any ideas about where to find items in the game? Does anyone know if it is possible to change the classification so the items will show up in a different place?

19. TrippingLightly

TrippingLightly New Member

I'm new, too. Hi, all.:)
    Sometimes when I download things and install them they work great, sometimes they crash the game and I have to go in and removed them, and sometimes they 'freeze' the action; the music, TV, etc. continue, but the characters don't move, and the clock keeps going.:confused:
    Why? I am careful to only download objects that are geared(or say they are) for the game I have installed.
    Also, how many objects can you download? When I download and install several, sometimes others I have already been using disappear.:angry: I'm told 'Some objects couldnot be loaded' and, or 'Missing objects'. What gives? They are still in the folder, but they won't show up.:confused:
    I'd be grateful for any help or advice.
    Thanks.